IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.
11/15/18, 6:10 PM   #31
Re: Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2
sp6967

we all know that safety of the drivers is the biggest concern when the cars hit the track. since the beginning of sprint car racing things have changed for the better out of that concern: seat belts, crash helmets, fire resistant suits, roll cages, arm restraints, full containment seats, and so on. and many things have got worse: bigger tires, bigger motors, more horsepower, and so on. now people in the "know" have decided to do this and do that to make cars safer. i am like everyone else on this board, nobody has any idea what is going to work. but we all know that slowing down the cars would definitely make the biggest difference. so why haven't we heard from the people in the "know" about slowing them down. instead there experimenting, why experiment when you could just cut 100 cubic inches. slower is safer especially when your talking about the weekend warrior. and if people say that would be to expensive to do, then are those people truly concerned about safety?
Last edited by sp6967; 11/15/18 at 6:25 PM.

11/16/18, 12:23 PM   #32
Duane Hancock

You can download this week's Dirt Nerds podcast and here our interview with Casey covering these exact topics!!! Its a GREAT interview

3 members like this post: bighd0522, erich45, Will Shunk
11/16/18, 4:18 PM   #33
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Hancock View Post
You can download this week's Dirt Nerds podcast and here our interview with Casey covering these exact topics!!! Its a GREAT interview
Awesome podcast each week. Thanks again to you and Elliot. Casey was very open and has his driver's best interest number 1. Well done.

11/16/18, 8:09 PM   #34
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshuman View Post
I would have to respectfully disagree. Blunt pit entrance/exits, antiquated catch fences or lack of, random poles or fence post sticking up, concrete barriers with uncovered and exposed corners are just a few things that need to be addressed before infield tires. A simple fix for infield tires is just don’t hit them, it works the same for walls on the outside of the track, if you hit them hard enough, you are going to tear stuff up.
Interesting post. So there is at least one track on the WAR schedule that has most of these issues. When do you think that WAR will stop scheduling races at tracks with issues?

11/16/18, 9:20 PM   #35
cshuman

The council has a plan in place to observe, report, and notify tracks of potential problem that should be addressed and have intentions to continue going to tracks that make efforts to fix at least something each time we were to go back. If they refuse then yes, we may decide to not go back.

4 members like this post: davidm, Jonr, mc/rider, sprintracer82
11/17/18, 1:57 AM   #36
ossuks

There are several safety hazards at tracks every where. Some we do not see until something happens and we go hmm? One of the most up to date facility in Indiana has one glaring safety flaw (Imo). The fence sets even with the back edge of the wall because the fence supports were installed backward. I once had a discussion with the promoter and was told that was the way they were designed, but me thinks they are backward. The fence supports are designed in a chair shape, instead of having them turn out, they should be turned in, thus, the fence and the wall would be flesh. As it is constructed now, when a car gets in the fence and slides down it can/has ripped cages off/apart! But, I,m wrong, and maybe I am, my point, there are several opinions in the best way to do things, there maybe someone smarter than us that is not sure about the design of the new safety concerns, just as I am not sure about the design of a catch fence?

1 member likes this post: tqracer65
11/17/18, 2:34 AM   #37

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
One of the most up to date facility in Indiana has one glaring safety flaw (Imo). The fence sets even with the back edge of the wall because the fence supports were installed backward. I once had a discussion with the promoter and was told that was the way they were designed, but me thinks they are backward. The fence supports are designed in a chair shape, instead of having them turn out, they should be turned in, thus, the fence and the wall would be flesh. As it is constructed now, when a car gets in the fence and slides down it can/has ripped cages off/apart!

I noticed a different track that added fencing do the same thing. At first it looked like the brackets were going to be turned in but when I saw the finished product they were out. You would think it to be a good idea to have the fence flush with the inside of the concrete. But it could be the fences purpose is to keep things from flying out and brackets out makes the strongest fence. maybe something else can cover the concrete, dirt, foam?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.