IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?
4/19/17, 11:47 PM   #41
Re: Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylands View Post
I would like to see this thread completely deleted before anyone with common sense discovers it exists.
Thats funny.
God forbid "the outside world" thinks sprint fans lack common sense.....

1 member likes this post: Speedwrench
4/19/17, 11:50 PM   #42
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Not enough people showed up to watch it. I was there and the locals did nothing but complain about how slow the cars were, even though the racing was much closer than the weekly sprint show that night.
Yea, I recall talking to an old timer at Knoxville who said exactly that, wingless cars were to slow, he didn't like 'em at all. I was surprised, thought old guys would like "traditional". I guess not in Iowa....

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
4/20/17, 1:18 AM   #43
Baylands

+1

4/20/17, 8:43 AM   #44
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
Thats funny.
God forbid "the outside world" thinks sprint fans lack common sense.....
It was purely a hypothetical question to discuss, it's not like I have any say so. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it, some of these jokers act like I'm advocating cage-less cars and leather helmets. Think outside the box, what would need to happen to make something like this work?
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 4/20/17 at 11:02 PM.

4/20/17, 12:29 PM   #45
darnall

take away any lift tendencies that may result..just looking at whats available mechanically in a current SC pavement car.. how fast would they actually go on that track?

Eventually they are going to hit a ceiling speed wise due to gear ratio. First of all you can't just keep gearing something higher and higher and expect it to top out faster and faster regardless of how much distance you give it to build speed. At some point the engines maximum torque and power are not sufficient to pull a given vehicle thru the next higher gear you give it. In a SC car there isn't a typical gearbox to run thru to accelerate efficiently. You are going to have to select a race ratio that lets you pull yourself out of those flat tight 90 degree turns without dragging an anchor and gets you in the 8800rpm (or whatever) range before you have to let off to make it thru the next flat 90.

Not sure which recent mile is considered the fastest...gateway is bigger than milwaukee but I doubt its faster due to the shape.. Iowa should be the fastest but does the smaller lap distance take away the shape and banking benefit? As far as I know there hasn't been a SC race on PIRs new reconfig but surely the new PIR would have to be toward the top of speed charts...

So I have to wonder.... not accounting for stuck throttles and such... how much faster.. in end of straight MPH, would a SC car actually go at the brickyard compared to the faster places they currently run? I can't imagine any way in heck you could get thru one of those turns and be anywhere close to 175 by the time you had to slow down and rotate again with zero aero assistance to maintain speed thru corners

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Why not a Silver Crown race at Indy?