IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
oldfan49 (Offline)
  #11 7/15/13 7:29 AM
There is no perfect format. You could be where we are and have it done by pill draw where it always seems the fastest cars start on the front row of both the heats and feature. Or else you have one loaded heat and drawing to the back of that heat means your night is basically done.
I'm having a hard time remembering a time I saw cars in a USAC heat riding around in the heat. I think they all have seen way too many times when looses 2 or 3 spots in the last half of the last lap.
I am mixed on the B feature cars getting to start as high as 7th. Personally I think the cars that transfer out of the heats should be locked into the top 16 but it is way better than what we have
thebus79h (Offline)
  #12 7/15/13 3:10 PM
I used to severely dislike the format.

Anymore, I really like it. You cannot sandbag. If you sandbag, you could miss the heats completely and really screw your night. Or you can sandbag just perfect to get the front row, but then you're still going to have to start in the back of the feature.

Racing is about the complete package, qualifying, heat races, semi's, and features are all part of it. Only thing that stinks is when the track fades really fast with that many cars, Jerry Coons Jr. at Gas City was a perfect example of bit by the format, he was fast all night except for qualifying when the track went to junk. Not his fault, just the format.
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #13 7/15/13 3:24 PM
I agree racing is about the whole package. But you shouldn't base someone's whole night on qualifying when the last few people have such a disadvantage. That is why I like Kokomo's format.

Posted via Mobile Device
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #14 7/15/13 3:36 PM
Summer nationals lt model format 50 cars 5 heats you hot lap and gualify with the same cars not again other 40 cars that way if track changes 1/2 second between firzt and last group dosnt matter :BUT thats not the usac way.

Posted via Mobile Device
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #15 7/15/13 3:41 PM
I'd rather have a chance to qualify over just a draw for your Heat Race starting spot any day! That's the way we used to do weekly shows everywhere too, not just USAC or WoO! Qualifying is supposed to mean a lot when you run with the big boys! USAC and WoO or NASCAR and IndyCar!

Posted via Mobile Device
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #16 7/15/13 3:59 PM
How can you say qualifying should mean a lot? You cannot honestly send out 50 plus cars and get an accurate reading on who is fastest. When you do it the way they do it dosent show who is fastest, it shows who had the best track conditions. I don't know the details on Woo's format and NASCAR and Indycar is pavement and the track conditions don't change as drastically as a dirt track.

Posted via Mobile Device
PAW (Offline)
  #17 7/15/13 4:11 PM
Originally Posted by Mattmac05:
How can you say qualifying should mean a lot? You cannot honestly send out 50 plus cars and get an accurate reading on who is fastest. When you do it the way they do it dosent show who is fastest, it shows who had the best track conditions. I don't know the details on Woo's format and NASCAR and Indycar is pavement and the track conditions don't change as drastically as a dirt track.

Posted via Mobile Device
Don't like it don't go! I've seen guys come out last or near the end and set fast time, a lot...

Posted via Mobile Device

:99:: Wings Don't Move Air THEY SUCK
2 Likes: DaveP63, oldfan49
sp6967 (Offline)
  #18 7/15/13 4:12 PM
maybe the program should start after dark so the track is better for longer period of time or maybe the promoters should do a better job of track prep.........or........or......this could go on for a while.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help." President Ronald Reagan
treecitytornado (Offline)
  #19 7/15/13 5:18 PM
Pavement does change too! Sun, cloudy, hotter track temp, cooler track temp. What I am saying is, there is still luck involved there too. When Bloomington used to qualify weekly, you wanted to go out late! I went out 2nd to last qualifier and set fast time on a particular night. It just depends.

Posted via Mobile Device
Mattmac05 (Offline)
  #20 7/15/13 5:22 PM
There truly is no perfect system. My biggest problem is that someone who comes out of the b main can start in front of someone who makes it straight from the heat. I also believe the good cars and drivers will pass plenty of cars and may come out with a decent finish but it is very hard to come from 20th, no matter how good your car is and win especially during ISW. So if you prove that you are fast in the heat, than why should you have to start in the back of the feature.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: DaveP63, robert gatten