IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 - INFO
9/18/21, 2:00 PM   #11
Pitdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Mike, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it. I was contemplating going but got friends coming by to watch the big money on the line tonight. Be sure to take your favorite lawn chair and get there early. Haven’t been there in a few years but while they do have bleachers it’s also nicely terraced to accept chairs on half. I’m sure Nathan knows if any of that has changed. They usually have a quality mod show too. I’ll be pulling for local midget legend Kurt Mayhew. Anyone know how many teams are planning on making the trip? Hats off to SHADYHILL for bringing the midgets in.
Not sure how many are coming. It is a bit of a haul and many of the points positions are locked up, but I estimate 20+. Hoping to pick up a few D2 cars as well.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
9/18/21, 2:29 PM   #12
Re: SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 -
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Mike, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it. I was contemplating going but got friends coming by to watch the big money on the line tonight. Be sure to take your favorite lawn chair and get there early. Haven’t been there in a few years but while they do have bleachers it’s also nicely terraced to accept chairs on half. I’m sure Nathan knows if any of that has changed. They usually have a quality mod show too. I’ll be pulling for local midget legend Kurt Mayhew. Anyone know how many teams are planning on making the trip? Hats off to SHADYHILL for bringing the midgets in.
Thanks for the advice. I am sure we will meet up again some day.

I had to do a quick check, though, to see what time zone the track is in - Eastern. I didn't want to get caught flat footed.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, nathans1012, tirespinner
9/18/21, 4:11 PM   #13

Mike,
Hopefully I'm not too late, but I'm pretty sure Shady Hill is in the Central Time Zone. I live east of there about 30-40 miles and the time changes about 8 miles west of me.

Tom Paterson

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/18/21, 4:15 PM   #14

Ok, this is one of those times I should look before I speak. The county north of Shady Hill is in Central Time. Shady Hill is in Eastern Time.

Tom

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/18/21, 10:24 PM   #15
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Feature just ended. Race was pretty decent and a smooth track. A little dust but that is expected. One of the 2 cars here from DeMotte, Indiana was the feature winner (Taylor) I think. 18 cars

P.S. Shadyhill is in the Eastern Time Zone.
Last edited by nathans1012; 9/18/21 at 10:25 PM.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, tirespinner
9/18/21, 10:27 PM   #16
kendirt

Adam Taylor. 1st time Badger winner

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, tirespinner
9/19/21, 2:39 AM   #17
Pitdad

Holy Cow! You weren’t kidding when you said it’s in the middle of nowhere! Nonetheless, it was a successful night for many of us. Congrats to Adam for the win. Proud to say we had our best finish since moving up to midgets. Really like the track! Pit layout is great, track is a really good size for midgets. Would like to have a little better lighting on the return road and the transitions on and off the track were a little aggressive for us, but everyone managed.

The food recommendations were excellent! Thank you for the tip on the smoked sausage. It was tasty and the pit concession cheese burgers were also a hit.

Thanks to Shadyhill Speedway for having us out. I hope it was a good show and they get positive fan feedback. When you bring a push start show to a track that isn’t used to it, it’s often a recipe for disaster, but I think the track crew and drivers kept the show moving well enough that there weren’t long waits to fire up the field. Hope we get to return and maybe do it in an earlier part of the season when more cars/drivers will be inclined to come for the points.
Last edited by Pitdad; 9/19/21 at 10:14 PM.

9/19/21, 1:05 PM   #18
nathans1012

Good too see the series have a successful night at Shadyhill.
Hope to see ya all back sometime in the future.
Yes the track lightning could be improved some maybe change the old lights out with halogen lights.
Racing was good with no major accidents or flips.
There where a few spins.
Hopefully there are some positives to take away from this event for the track.
Glad to see they got a fence up in turn 1.
Pitdad - As you guys found out.
People don't always understand when I say the track is literally in the middle of no where.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
9/19/21, 3:02 PM   #19
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitdad View Post
Holy Cow! You weren’t kidding when you said it’s in the middle of nowhere!
I don't use GPS or phone maps. Hell, my speedometer doesn't even work. I use the tach. I do it the old way - look at a map, remember a road or two, then hit it.

I could not FIND the damn place! I knew it was NE of Medaryville proper, but holy crap, there was nothing but tall cornfields. I took a big rectangular route around NE of town. Nothing. Then I saw the water tower for town and headed that way. Stopped at a gas station/mini-mart and asked a few people in there how to get to Shadyhill Speedway. They looked at me like I was from Mars. The teenage girl behind the counter never heard of it.

Then this one girl in her mid-to-late 20s came in and was buying some ice. I asked her if she was local and she said she was. I asked her for help and she then gave me perfect directions to the track.

Always appreciate a good adventure.

Woke up this morning to find my rear brake line leaking. That would not have been a good adventure.

Cool place, though. Enjoyed the night and the racing.

5 members like this post: chrismattlin, EBookerFan, flagboy55, jdull99, Pitdad
9/19/21, 3:41 PM   #20
nathans1012

After last night I think it would be cool to see a USAC Midget event there with maybe one or two other classes (Sprints & 305) Would be a show. Problem is they don't have a very big pit area for larger haulers.

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > SHADYHILL. Badger Midgets, UMP Mods, & Bombers - 9/18 - INFO