IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals
9/15/21, 2:52 PM   #51
Re: USAC Nationals
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

I was on the road for 10 days traveling on a motorcycle. Lodging ,fuel, food and racing cost 1,200$. Just some what of a expense guide for fans who might consider next year. Others Ive talked to had air fare and car rental.A few others did RVs. Some drove out and back. Not sure of their costs. Hope this helps
Last edited by mc/rider; 9/15/21 at 2:53 PM.

9/15/21, 3:08 PM   #52

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

Huset's has traditionally run on Sunday night's. And that worked for them for their regular shows in the past. But would this show be better Thurs - Sat. A Sunday show will tend toward a local crowd due to travel time back home for out of towners to get to work Monday. The same could possibly be said for some teams and drivers. If you cant make Sunday you probably don't go at all.

This show was in my plans but was squashed due to staffing issues at work. I am seven hours out and would of had to red eye drive it back for work Monday. I would of done it but not ideal. Wish I could of gone after watching on flo.

4 members like this post: 95KART, BrentTFunk, mc/rider, tirespinner
9/15/21, 8:52 PM   #53
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I liked the racing too, surprised that you liked the format tho.... USAC loyalist that you are
I'm usually a fan of inverts, in fact even went to the Trophy Cup one year for that very reason (Quick & affordable flight from Denver at the time) That said, I kinda thought guys who did well at Prelim nights got screwed a bit.... OK, in Midget 100 lapper top points guys went from 11th to 2nd & 12th to 3rd, that was pretty cool. (But I also thought 50 laps would have been plenty... ) In Sprint 50 lapper, Point leaders went from 11th to 5th & 12th to 8th.... maybe change invert to 8??? ..6? Or run Grand Finale straight up?
No format can be perfect. I enjoyed it on Flo, hope it succeeds & that I can go some day
Why would anyone not want a big invert? I go to see passing and this show had it.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, chrismattlin, sw1911, tirespinner
9/15/21, 8:59 PM   #54
JMA1181

I’ll say this; if you have a complaint about the facility, the format, the racing, or much else, you probably weren’t there. I went in 2016 and knew I would go back any other time I could for USAC. This show reinforced that even more. Electric campsites at the racetrack was awesome. I’ve been to a lot of tracks and that had the nicest camping. 100 lap midget feature was perfect, if you were watching on Flo, you didn’t get to see everything, just what the camera saw.

I’d encourage anyone who has something negative to say about this show to bite their tongue and go see it before you put it down. How anyone on here can claim to be a fan of open wheel racing and not like that is beyond me.

I’m from Indiana and we drove out in ‘16 and straight to Kokomo for the Smackdown from there that year. This year, we drove out as well.

9/15/21, 10:11 PM   #55
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Points View Post
Huset's has traditionally run on Sunday night's. And that worked for them for their regular shows in the past. But would this show be better Thurs - Sat. A Sunday show will tend toward a local crowd due to travel time back home for out of towners to get to work Monday. The same could possibly be said for some teams and drivers. If you cant make Sunday you probably don't go at all.

This show was in my plans but was squashed due to staffing issues at work. I am seven hours out and would of had to red eye drive it back for work Monday. I would of done it but not ideal. Wish I could of gone after watching on flo.
I never understood the logic in this argument. your just trading one work travel day for another if you are very far away.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, tirespinner, TNRustler
9/15/21, 10:23 PM   #56
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeCroxton View Post
I remember going to a National Sprint Tour race in McCool Junction, NE. They had about 800 people in the stands. I was bellyaching about the crowd and how I must be seeing a financial loser and a photographer, the name escapes me, reminded me that "hey, those of us that are here, this might be our only chance to see these guys - they don't come out here very often."

What do you do? 800 people that don't get to see the guys run very often aren't enough to keep it going for very long unless you're just wanting to find a place to spend some money (most promoter's aren't).

Every time the TNT tour came through Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska the stands were packed, even on weeknights. i seem to remember the fire department even cutting off ticket sales at Lakeside one night citing they were at maximum capacity.
And that was before we had 2 non wing groups in the KC area and another in Oklahoma. But it probably had somethaing is some way with those groups coming into being

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
9/15/21, 11:26 PM   #57
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Huset’s did an incredible job, especially with their push trucks. They were as efficient as any crew we use all year, and that’s saying something. Justin Clark was the flagman all 3 days & was fantastic. The caution was called a bit too quickly in the sprint car race on Friday, but that also may have been what prevented a larger issue. The caution in the midget race was for a car stopping in the middle of the pack in turns one-two with the leaders in turn 3. That yellow will be called every single time.

Not to inject pesky facts to ruin a narrative, but this show at Huset’s had about as many cars as the referenced ISW show at Kokomo (54 sprint cars at Kokomo, 54 total cars at Huset’s on Saturday). Saturday’s show at Huset’s began at 5:15 with engine heat (early sunset makes it possible). It ended at 10:12.
The show at Kokomo started at 6:30 with engine heat and ended at 10:18.

I’m most proud of the efficiency of the shows on a regular basis. Yes, sometimes tracks request taking a few extra minutes here and there for people to get an intermission of sorts. I lived through many inefficient USAC shows in the past & feel the same anxiety with any unnecessary down time.

Any questions about procedures or logistics of USAC shows, please feel free to reach out at kirk(at)usacnation.com or 419-203-7047.
Hey Kirk your narrative would only have worked if Kokomo got ALL 30 laps in. That’s one major detail you forgot or you left out. Please if you wish to discuss things don’t accuse me of driving a narrative in my favor and then respond with partial facts to drive your narrative another way. It’s also convienient you chose Saturday’s show to use timelines as I believe there was one hell of a rememberance for 9/11 during that time period.(Thank you Matt Wood and Husets Speedway)If it was a normal invocation and anthem like say idk Friday or Sunday, who knows how early the show would have been done.
The simplicity of this discussion is that if ALL of your events were run with the crispness of this wknd combined with what is the best short track racing in America(to which I credit the drivers and teams for mostly), then there wouldn’t be a reason to debate a narrative with all of the facts not the pesky ones you want to use.
Please also don’t say the yellow was early but might have prevented a possible bigger problem. The judgement was wrong and leave it at that. The midget yellow was thrown for a guy slowing in turn two while 4 cars were coming to the checker. If that is the rule then so be it. It ruined a fantastic finish and may not have lead to a bigger problem.
Thank you for the invite to discuss things with you, I’ll take you up on that. Let’s hope this wknd is a crisp as last wknd!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/15/21, 11:55 PM   #58
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
Why would anyone not want a big invert? I go to see passing and this show had it.
I like passing & inverts, but 12 seemed like a lot to me, drivers who did well in Prelim nights got penalized

9/15/21, 11:58 PM   #59
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA1181 View Post
I’ll say this; if you have a complaint about the facility, the format, the racing, or much else, you probably weren’t there. I went in 2016 and knew I would go back any other time I could for USAC. This show reinforced that even more. Electric campsites at the racetrack was awesome. I’ve been to a lot of tracks and that had the nicest camping. 100 lap midget feature was perfect, if you were watching on Flo, you didn’t get to see everything, just what the camera saw.

I’d encourage anyone who has something negative to say about this show to bite their tongue and go see it before you put it down. How anyone on here can claim to be a fan of open wheel racing and not like that is beyond me.

I’m from Indiana and we drove out in ‘16 and straight to Kokomo for the Smackdown from there that year. This year, we drove out as well.
I wish I could have gone & i bet damn near all the people that you perceive as "complaining" or being "negative" feel the same way
Suggestions do not = "complaining"

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, tirespinner
9/16/21, 12:17 AM   #60
Kirk Spridgeon

We can use Friday’s example. 57 total cars. Started engine heat at 5:20 and went checkered at 9:54. It seems you may be the one with a narrative - I’m only using the exact numbers, and Saturday fit with that exact car count of 54.

If 4 hours and 34 minutes is your measuring stick for crisp, I feel pretty confident on taking the under every night except the 4-Crown.

You’re right that the drivers and teams are what make the quality of show, that coupled with a competent track preparation team.

The simplicity of this discussion is that the weekend’s events were run in the same manner as every other event from the side of the bunch from Speedway. Kokomo was run as quickly as any this year, or faster, and the teams would tell you that. Hence why there were only two cars in staging for the D Main at the conclusion of stock car heats, because the turn-around was FAST!

I’d be curious of any other shows run inefficiently this year (or in the past 5 for that matter) to become a point of contention for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Hey Kirk your narrative would only have worked if Kokomo got ALL 30 laps in. That’s one major detail you forgot or you left out. Please if you wish to discuss things don’t accuse me of driving a narrative in my favor and then respond with partial facts to drive your narrative another way. It’s also convienient you chose Saturday’s show to use timelines as I believe there was one hell of a rememberance for 9/11 during that time period.(Thank you Matt Wood and Husets Speedway)If it was a normal invocation and anthem like say idk Friday or Sunday, who knows how early the show would have been done.
The simplicity of this discussion is that if ALL of your events were run with the crispness of this wknd combined with what is the best short track racing in America(to which I credit the drivers and teams for mostly), then there wouldn’t be a reason to debate a narrative with all of the facts not the pesky ones you want to use.
Please also don’t say the yellow was early but might have prevented a possible bigger problem. The judgement was wrong and leave it at that. The midget yellow was thrown for a guy slowing in turn two while 4 cars were coming to the checker. If that is the rule then so be it. It ruined a fantastic finish and may not have lead to a bigger problem.
Thank you for the invite to discuss things with you, I’ll take you up on that. Let’s hope this wknd is a crisp as last wknd!

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, DJlives, erich45, opnwhlmnd, TBONE
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals