IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals
9/15/21, 10:34 AM   #41
flagboy55

Being the son of a hall of famer doesn’t exclude you from making a mistake. I personally think he does a fine job, but all flagmen have made a mistake every once in a while. I’ll bet his father would tell you that. Spending many years on the flag stand, it needs to be pointed out that in some cases, that it’s not always the flagmans call. I’ve worked where I’m the boss of the track and I’ve worked where I was told exactly what to do by series officials. Never had the privilege of flagging for the United States Auto Club, so can’t say how they do it.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
9/15/21, 11:38 AM   #42
Re: USAC Nationals
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I hope that it returns and that it finds a good date. Also remember, IF POWRi and USAC can work together and make this a "Crown Jewel" event and POWRi doesn't schedule on top of it, you would get some more midgets.

Everyone should remember that the Chili Bowl was a money loser the first time it was held and had to work to find the best weekend for it.
Agreed. POWRi & USAC together would bring more cars & maybe more fans....

2 members like this post: tirespinner, TNRustler
9/15/21, 11:41 AM   #43
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
Gonna be tough if not impossible for this event to succeed. It’s just too far away from its car and fan base. I was shocked when I saw this race announced. Hopefully the guy didn’t loose too much money.
Thats what worries me too. I recall talking to a old guy at Knoxville (a local) who flat out didn't like wingless; "too slow" he said. They're into winged cars on the Great Plains, but maybe POWRi is making inroads
I hope it succeeds, would luv to make it out there some day...

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/15/21, 11:58 AM   #44
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Track reminded me of Granite City, or Pevely. Maybe a lower banked Burg. It didn't seem as round as Boswell. Thought it was pretty racy. I guess if you didn't like the format, you don't care for passing.
I have said for years that if I go back to the Knoxville Nationals or Chili Bowl, I would come home after Friday. It seems the prelim nights usually produce the best racing. Hope they have this race next year, as I would try to go.
I liked the racing too, surprised that you liked the format tho.... USAC loyalist that you are
I'm usually a fan of inverts, in fact even went to the Trophy Cup one year for that very reason (Quick & affordable flight from Denver at the time) That said, I kinda thought guys who did well at Prelim nights got screwed a bit.... OK, in Midget 100 lapper top points guys went from 11th to 2nd & 12th to 3rd, that was pretty cool. (But I also thought 50 laps would have been plenty... ) In Sprint 50 lapper, Point leaders went from 11th to 5th & 12th to 8th.... maybe change invert to 8??? ..6? Or run Grand Finale straight up?
No format can be perfect. I enjoyed it on Flo, hope it succeeds & that I can go some day
Last edited by revjimk; 9/15/21 at 12:01 PM.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
9/15/21, 12:05 PM   #45
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
Yes I loved the format 8 invert in heats we great. Inverting 12 in feature was good in the sprints. I think 50 laps would of been enough for the midgets.
I thought 100 was too much also, but it allowed High Point guys to ALMOST catch up for the win....maybe go 50 & invert 6 or 8?
No perfect format is possible.....just making suggestions for "fine tuning"

9/15/21, 12:11 PM   #46
flagboy55

Actually, after some though in regards to the crowd, it’s kinda hard to lay a bunch of blame on the fans with a 8 or 9 hour drive. It’s understandable to a degree. I applaud fans like Yeleyfan76 who made the trek from PA and all who went from here. But actually it makes me question how many fans there are outside of our zone. Inside a 4 hour drive I would think it’s a must go situation.

9/15/21, 12:41 PM   #47
Jonr

So, I am not willing to state that a race at Hussets wont work because of location. Knoxville Iowa is a long way from anything. You had to want to get to get to Belleville, KS to watch the Midget Nationals. You have to travel 20 minutes outside of Eldora to get to the middle of no where. Not to completely switch topics, but the race week with the largest car counts (IMCA Nationals) is in Boone, Iowa. As stated earlier, Tulsa is not close to Indy.

I still believe that this show can be a success. It can be a destination event like the other race tracks above.

9/15/21, 1:31 PM   #48
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
So, I am not willing to state that a race at Hussets wont work because of location. Knoxville Iowa is a long way from anything. You had to want to get to get to Belleville, KS to watch the Midget Nationals. You have to travel 20 minutes outside of Eldora to get to the middle of no where. Not to completely switch topics, but the race week with the largest car counts (IMCA Nationals) is in Boone, Iowa. As stated earlier, Tulsa is not close to Indy.

I still believe that this show can be a success. It can be a destination event like the other race tracks above.
I hope you're right!

9/15/21, 2:08 PM   #49
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Spridgeon View Post
Huset’s did an incredible job, especially with their push trucks. They were as efficient as any crew we use all year, and that’s saying something. Justin Clark was the flagman all 3 days & was fantastic. The caution was called a bit too quickly in the sprint car race on Friday, but that also may have been what prevented a larger issue. The caution in the midget race was for a car stopping in the middle of the pack in turns one-two with the leaders in turn 3. That yellow will be called every single time.

Not to inject pesky facts to ruin a narrative, but this show at Huset’s had about as many cars as the referenced ISW show at Kokomo (54 sprint cars at Kokomo, 54 total cars at Huset’s on Saturday). Saturday’s show at Huset’s began at 5:15 with engine heat (early sunset makes it possible). It ended at 10:12.
The show at Kokomo started at 6:30 with engine heat and ended at 10:18.

I’m most proud of the efficiency of the shows on a regular basis. Yes, sometimes tracks request taking a few extra minutes here and there for people to get an intermission of sorts. I lived through many inefficient USAC shows in the past & feel the same anxiety with any unnecessary down time.

Any questions about procedures or logistics of USAC shows, please feel free to reach out at kirk(at)usacnation.com or 419-203-7047.
I thought it was Clarke "with an E"

9/15/21, 2:46 PM   #50
DJlives

Clark. And he did a great job

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals