IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals
9/13/21, 2:51 PM   #11
Re: USAC Nationals
chrismattlin

I thought that the racing was great all weekend, so I suppose I liked the format.

Looking at the results, the large invert didn't seem to hurt the competitors too bad: in the midgets, the two high point men, Pursley and Kofoid, were right there at the end battling for the win; and in sprints, the winner was the 4th highest point man and came from 9th. Meanwhile, high point man McDougal was only able to muster a gain of four positions to 8th, but the next two highest point earners were able to achieve top-5s.

All in all the track was racy, the races were longer which gave everyone time to make a charge, and the finishes ending up being good ones. I just don't see how you could ding the format too awful bad.

Thanks to everyone who made this event happen! I would love to attend in the future!

9/13/21, 4:06 PM   #12
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
been trying to figure it out but the track it reminds me most of is. KAMP or Boswell or whatever it's called now. WITHOUT the dust.
Track reminded me of Granite City, or Pevely. Maybe a lower banked Burg. It didn't seem as round as Boswell. Thought it was pretty racy. I guess if you didn't like the format, you don't care for passing.
I have said for years that if I go back to the Knoxville Nationals or Chili Bowl, I would come home after Friday. It seems the prelim nights usually produce the best racing. Hope they have this race next year, as I would try to go.

9/13/21, 4:10 PM   #13
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Where did this take place?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/13/21, 4:16 PM   #14
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
Where did this take place?
Huset's Speedway in Brandon, South Dakota which is just a few minutes west of Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
Last edited by ISF; 9/13/21 at 4:18 PM.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ronmil, tirespinner
9/13/21, 4:18 PM   #15
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Huset's Speedway in Brandon, South Dakota
Thanks

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, ISF, tirespinner
9/13/21, 7:51 PM   #16
opnwhlmnd

The format was pretty much the same as the trophy cup in California. It works much better with 50 cars.

Some guys locked in last night with a toward front spot didn't want to run in their heat but promotor told them they had to. Some sandbagged to protect their spot toward the front and some just raced to win a heat. Perfect example was Stockton and Davis Jr. They were positions eleven and twelve with a front row A-main starting spot going into the night but they raced hard in their heats and gained enough points to move both back to third row.

On a side note Charles Davis Jr stole the show and made so many new fans with his podium run on Friday night. We had the whole crowd cheering for him. He did a cage stand while chugging a Coors Light on the front straight. He is hilarious can't wait to get to Perris and drink beer with him again.

I had been to Huset's before so knew the show would be good. It's egg shaped turns one and two tighter than three and four. If this happens again next year it should be a must see for all. The crowd Saturday and especially Sunday night was quite large but I pulled up Flo on my phone and it didn't look that way on tv.

The Sioux Falls fall festival with bands Friday and Saturday hurt the attendance some locals told me. He said Saturday Alan Jackson was there. I think he is a country music guy not sure as I only do classic rock and heavy metal.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester, Owen, tirespinner, TNRustler
9/13/21, 8:08 PM   #17
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Meanwhile, high point man McDougal was only able to muster a gain of four positions to 8th, but the next two highest point earners were able to achieve top-5s.
J-Mac was actually 13th in points. He got moved up to 12th because they penalized Jake Swanson two rows for being late to staging.

I actually hate that rule and I know it helps speed up the show but when one of your series regulars has trouble like a crash or engine swap it just doesn't seem right.

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, Kansasdirtfan, tirespinner
9/13/21, 11:06 PM   #18
cornerthree

Yes I loved the format 8 invert in heats we great. Inverting 12 in feature was good in the sprints. I think 50 laps would of been enough for the midgets.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
9/14/21, 2:00 AM   #19
yeleyfan76

First off the facility at Husets is top shelf. One of the nicest in the country. So glad to make the drive out from eastern Pa to see it. I’m not sure they could do much more to improve it. I am aware the previous owner spent a ton of money and it seems well spent.
As for the crowd, very disappointing. I’m aware that the town of Sioux Falls had a couple of concerts that affected the local crowd. Unless many people from Indiana flew in and rented cars with other tags on them, their support was weak at best. I was told by a couple of Indiana friends that you don’t run a big event like this in SD and expect people to go see it. I thought he was crazy and told him so. He was apparently right. He and a lot of people in Indiana think the non wing guys run for peanuts compared to other series yet when an event like this is run they stay home. My feeling all along was since this was not a full Usac points paying event, the flo broadcast should have been PPV or only shown the A main just like the Knoxville races.
The racing each nite was good and improved throughout. The format was special and as Buckley said on the flo promo it is designed to put fast cars in the back to promote passing. What a concept. The first two nites had the ever boring, track destroying yawn of single car qualifying. At least the format kept the guys who are usually fast out there by themselves in the back to, promote passing which is what I thought racing is all about. As stated in a previous post, the format did its job as the fast guys worked thru. Sunday we had no TTs and wow a great surface.(my opinion) I don’t know if they changed the flag man after the first nite or talked to him about his itchy yellow flag trigger as he altered the finish in both A mains. It seemed like there was a change for the second two nites but since they wear helmets I couldn’t tell.
Unfortunately what has become the norm in the midgets has reared its ugly head in the sprint cars. The wrecking ball that is the blue 19az cleaned out and destroyed Bernal which in turn crashed Ballou. Then pulls one of those lame bs KKM midget guy style interviews by explaining it’s tough to pass and it’s part of racing. Spridge has been quoted as saying there is no penalty for contact in USAC racing, so I hope when the 19az returns to the pits on the hook destroyed one nite, the crew remembers it must have been tough to pass that nite.
In closing I would like to thank Matt Wood for putting up all of that money for non wing racing. I wish more people would have supported you and don’t blame you if this event was a one and done. Also the 9/11 tribute put on by you and the track staff was phenomenal. To the staff at Husets for showing everyone how to run an efficient show. Two full programs each nite with little down time and over early. I hope the group from Speedway took notes. A quick tite program can be run every nite if the group in charge wants to. I’m sure I’ll get bashed for many things written here, but they are my takes of what I saw in person. As stated based on the the plates on the cars in the lot most on this board were not, and that’s a shame because you missed a good event.

9/14/21, 6:23 AM   #20
addictedtodirt

Burned up vacation in FLA at bubba's, in PA for part of ES, and in Kokomo for smackdown. As I told you in Kokomo, if the success of this event hinged on Indiana fans, it isn't going to happen Steve. Glad you went and enjoyed the show. I'm just not sure what bashing Indiana race fans is going to accomplish.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, PIT CART, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC Nationals