IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Out of curiosity could this work in Indiana?
9/17/21, 12:03 AM   #11
ThrowbackRacingTeam

The Wisconsin Wingless aren’t that exciting to watch. They look like sprint cars but without the balls.

4 members like this post: cornerthree, dirtbag, motorhead748, treecitytornado
9/21/21, 2:30 AM   #12
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

Crate engines have their place in the Motorsports industry. In my opinion, that place is not in a Sprint Car. Carburators are for fender cars.

I know not everyone likes the Racesaver class, and obviously I am biased. However, we keep the wings on not only because of the national rules but also because it offers something different in this state at a very reasonable price. Additionally we do not want to compete with other non wing classes that are very well established around the state. And before everyone piles on about the wings making for boring races, I would argue you might not be watching our races very closely. They aren't all barn burners, but we have some very exciting races pretty consistently.

Our car counts have been growing or steady for 6 years now and we race at several tracks in the state, both sprint car tracks and non sprint car tracks.

To the topic of this thread, I would say that the Wingless class in WI is great, but not ideal for IN. Interestingly enough though, what I believe was a crate engine just won a non wing race at Circle City for the Steel Block Sprint guys. So maybe I don't know anything haha.

Hope you all get to see some good racing before the year ends. The Schaeffer's Oil Indiana Racesavers will be at Terre Haute with the USAC Sprints on Oct 1 and at the Kokomo Klash on Oct 15. Two great opportunities to see what we have to offer on both a big track and a little one!

If you read this far, thanks!

-Alfred

5 members like this post: Chief29, chrismattlin, motorhead748, oppweld, svfd830
9/21/21, 12:51 PM   #13
Re: Out of curiosity could this work in Indiana?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Check out the Baldwin Racing engines LS410 While still 45k some teams have raced them three seasons now no rebuilds. 925hp Beats having two to four 410s 950-1000hp too get thru a season with one or two in rebuild stages.

The top two in the Little 500 were LS platform engines and Kody has won other Pavement races with it including USAC IRP, Hurst Brothers is LS based, won many races and track championships

Sorry, with the exception of maybe 15 high paying races. I don't see the platform surviving. Several of the USAC teams are combos of two or three teams Instead of three individual cars.

Im no expert and in many cases I'm wrong. But the eye test says. We're in trouble and I would hate to see the day again like we had with Winged racing of 6-10 cars showing up

9/21/21, 3:07 PM   #14
Slider20

Spec racing is trash.

9/22/21, 11:19 AM   #15
Knoke77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I think there are way to many classes period. The only thing crates have done is reduce or eliminate the 410-unlimited classes I look at LM's and see several tracks that had 30-40 plus car counts weekly in super late now can['t get full fields for 12k to win shows. but the crates have double conisis.

Quite honestly, I wish the racesaver would be wingless and 360 ASCS wingless be top. still cost you a pretty penny to get a good motor but it would last a season or more.

Just two many, classes even the mini sprints are dwindling and lets face it, when car counts drop, so do the fan base. doesn't matter how many classes in the pits.

Im kind of the opinion that the 410 is dying quickly. Perhaps a few tracks could survive on teams running selloff stuff. But without the purses to support it. specials only.
Chuck we bought a mini sprint a couple of months ago and the two nights we have ran have both had over 30 cars entered. This past weekend at Haubstadt they had 31 entries, so no, they are not dwindling.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/22/21, 11:35 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoke77 View Post
Chuck we bought a mini sprint a couple of months ago and the two nights we have ran have both had over 30 cars entered. This past weekend at Haubstadt they had 31 entries, so no, they are not dwindling.
Good to hear Jake, hope you are well.

9/22/21, 11:38 AM   #17
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoke77 View Post
Also there has been 70 or 80 different people to at least compete once during the 2021 season to collect points. For some of them people they got into a car that someone else ran. I think the highest car count was 35 for the MMSA this year.
We'd personally go to run with the MMSA more, but they're limited on non wing races and a lot of races are about 250-350 miles each way.

9/22/21, 2:07 PM   #18
Chief29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Check out the Baldwin Racing engines LS410 While still 45k some teams have raced them three seasons now no rebuilds. 925hp Beats having two to four 410s 950-1000hp too get thru a season with one or two in rebuild stages.

The top two in the Little 500 were LS platform engines and Kody has won other Pavement races with it including USAC IRP, Hurst Brothers is LS based, won many races and track championships

Sorry, with the exception of maybe 15 high paying races. I don't see the platform surviving. Several of the USAC teams are combos of two or three teams Instead of three individual cars.

Im no expert and in many cases I'm wrong. But the eye test says. We're in trouble and I would hate to see the day again like we had with Winged racing of 6-10 cars showing up
The hurst brothers is NOT LS based has BD 2000 heads from Brodix

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
9/22/21, 2:11 PM   #19
Chief29

We already have a steel block series and there are 305’s (won 1 race), crates (won 1race), and a whole bunch of other configurations in that class and last race there was 17 cars. From beinging if of year till now the class is growing but it was only the first year of it.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, kendirt, oldfan49
9/22/21, 9:37 PM   #20
cmiracingvids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjracer26 View Post
Crate engines have their place in the Motorsports industry. In my opinion, that place is not in a Sprint Car. Carburators are for fender cars.

I know not everyone likes the Racesaver class, and obviously I am biased. However, we keep the wings on not only because of the national rules but also because it offers something different in this state at a very reasonable price. Additionally we do not want to compete with other non wing classes that are very well established around the state. And before everyone piles on about the wings making for boring races, I would argue you might not be watching our races very closely. They aren't all barn burners, but we have some very exciting races pretty consistently.

Our car counts have been growing or steady for 6 years now and we race at several tracks in the state, both sprint car tracks and non sprint car tracks.

To the topic of this thread, I would say that the Wingless class in WI is great, but not ideal for IN. Interestingly enough though, what I believe was a crate engine just won a non wing race at Circle City for the Steel Block Sprint guys. So maybe I don't know anything haha.

Hope you all get to see some good racing before the year ends. The Schaeffer's Oil Indiana Racesavers will be at Terre Haute with the USAC Sprints on Oct 1 and at the Kokomo Klash on Oct 15. Two great opportunities to see what we have to offer on both a big track and a little one!

If you read this far, thanks!

-Alfred
As far as I know, Gurley does have a crate engine in it.
On another part from your post, I went to Circle City for a Thursday 410 wing show earlier in the year, and you guys were there. Easily better racing than the 410s. I thought the 305s were the best class there that night.

1 member likes this post: sjracer26
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Out of curiosity could this work in Indiana?