IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car Colors
7/7/14, 6:38 PM   #21
Re: Car Colors
racephoto1

Chris Nunn, as I was reading the posts I thought like you did. Here it is, and boy does it have color. This is the midget.

IMG 1622 copy par Chris Pedersen, on ipernity

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
7/7/14, 6:58 PM   #22
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My favorite was Ballou a couple years ago where they thrashed all night to get another car together. got to the track, were told they had to have a number on the tank and only had enough duct tape for a ? mark

7/7/14, 7:06 PM   #23
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I love a car with gold numbers. One of my favorite color schemes.

7/7/14, 10:41 PM   #24
Phylo82

Our car has a black frame and a red body for one simple reason......that's the color it was when we bought it.

I used to care about stickers and wraps. At some point you realize you are spending a lot of money on something that doesn't make you any faster and just gets beat up after awhile.

I appreciate manufacturers giving me stickers when I buy something. We give those to the little kids that stop by our pit area on race nights.
#13e Maxim Sprint
Owner, Crew Chief, Pit Crew, Hauler, Check Writer, Grunt

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Mattmac05, spicoli
7/7/14, 10:50 PM   #25
BigWheel7

Race Count This Year: 2

Just thinking out loud here. Why would it be so difficult to wrap a Sprint car which has a lot smaller body then it is to wrap a modified? Is this a money thing where modifieds have more money or weight difference? There are very few modifieds that aren't wrapped.

1 member likes this post: cdav20
7/7/14, 11:56 PM   #26
LocalYokel

It's only marginally more difficult to wrap a midget/sprint compared to a mod/late model. The curves of the body make it slightly more complicated.
It's just a style thing here in Indiana. No body seems to want a car with a nice color scheme.
The cars in Indiana have nothing on the cars in Pennsylvaina and the rest of the east coast. Non wingers should take a cue from the wing guys...

7/8/14, 1:14 AM   #27
ThrowbackRacingTeam

16 out of the 22 starters Sunday were black. I kept thinking Thorson was Rico, couldn't tell them apart. I almost never knew which Lein car was which. Why can't the team cars be painted differently? They could flip the colors or something. I get that paint or vinyl costs money. But, when every single stock car at our local track can afford it, I think most midget teams could. The problem is the modern day owners just don't care what the cars look like. Did you also notice the stands were less than half full? A coincidence? I think so. I used to be a fan of certain cars because of how they looked, regardless of who drove them or how fast they were. I used to day dream about them all the time. This year, there hasn't been one car that I've thought about once I left the track. I used to drive an old VW car at Sun Prairie with an Edmunds hood. I would get a ton of people looking at the car after the races and signed a bunch of autographs. They always commented how much they liked the car. When I moved into a modern style car, hardly anyone came by anymore.

1 member likes this post: John P Huss
7/8/14, 9:04 AM   #28
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I notice that its ok to discuss how other people should spend they're money. Im sure everyone out there would love to have nice looking cars.

Reality is, Is it more important to be able to rebuild your motor after a couple dozen races or paint your car while it sits in the shop motorless because It sure looks pretty.

10g-20g-30g + Sponsorships, Im sure they'll be happy to make it look nice for ya. Take it to the Mall in the winter and market etc.

Heres a real scenario a few years back. USAC Eldora opener. All these cars showed up with pretty paint jobs, lettering, numbering, By the end of the night USAC had a trailer load of busted hoods and body panels from rocks and mud clods, many teams were out more on hoods and paint jobs than they would get in return if they didn't finish better than third.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/8/14 at 9:08 AM.

3 members like this post: Can26, Mattmac05, Phylo82
7/8/14, 12:26 PM   #29
racenut69

As us bikers say,"chrome don't get you home"!...or get you kisses from the pretty girls!..

7/8/14, 12:49 PM   #30
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I notice that its ok to discuss how other people should spend they're money. Im sure everyone out there would love to have nice looking cars.

Reality is, Is it more important to be able to rebuild your motor after a couple dozen races or paint your car while it sits in the shop motorless because It sure looks pretty.

10g-20g-30g + Sponsorships, Im sure they'll be happy to make it look nice for ya. Take it to the Mall in the winter and market etc.

Heres a real scenario a few years back. USAC Eldora opener. All these cars showed up with pretty paint jobs, lettering, numbering, By the end of the night USAC had a trailer load of busted hoods and body panels from rocks and mud clods, many teams were out more on hoods and paint jobs than they would get in return if they didn't finish better than third.
Chuck, couldn't agree with you more, for what it would cost me to KEEP my car bright and shiny, it puts fuel in my tanks, tires on the corners, food in my belly, and helps pay entry fees. Some cars are nice looking, with just the basic stuff, the main thing being clean, don't roll it out of the trailer with 3 weeks of racing mud still on it, even if it is just one color, or no color, if it's clean, it's OK, cause by the time the first heat race is over, it won't be clean anymore. I use prepainted aluminum for my hood, and body panels, and for under 75 bucks I can replace them all, but after several years, they still look OK to me, it'd be nice to have new shiny wheels, and a different paint scheme at least every year, but it has nothing to do with making it any faster, or getting a bigger pay out, and with no sponsors but myself to worry about, I don't worry about it, if I had to have my fuel tank repainted, it'd probably cost me 300 bucks, which will buy a lot of diesel gas. Getting there, and getting the job done, is my main focus, there was a time when I could afford the NICE stuff, and I did, but not lately! Bob

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Mattmac05, Phylo82
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Car Colors