IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
kcarm92 (Offline)
  #11 7/19/19 1:57 PM
Hears a question, why did they move sunshine in his heat race from the outside row to the inside on last double file start on heat,Mattox should have been inside row 2 after the first 2 starts and guys spinning, just wondering ?
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #12 7/19/19 1:57 PM
I believe the transponders register who won, same thing happened yrs ago at a big race at Kokomo, Weir went to the high side passed 1st & 2nd & won, transponders said so. Does anyone check the position of these things b4 a race??
Rich Mersereau (Offline)
  #13 7/19/19 2:29 PM
Good problem to have. Hats off to everyone involved. Gas City looks great. Racing is alive ! ! !
4 Likes: flagboy55, PIT CART, PJ Wright, Will Shunk
trannyman (Offline)
  #14 7/19/19 3:33 PM
No one asked the important question.Is it determined by the nose of the car,or by the transponder?
dkc42 (Offline)
  #15 7/19/19 3:40 PM
It would be nice to rely on the transponders. However, I remember several years ago, at the Chili Bowl, they had to go to photos to determine finishing positions due to Damion Gardner being so high in the air when he crossed the line that the transponder didn't register.
3 Likes: buck2, flagboy55, interpreter66
bsmith8 (Online)
  #16 7/19/19 3:41 PM
Transponders are only for qualifying. First front bumper to checkered is the winner. They use a camera at the start finish line to determine who was there first. Cottles bumper was there first. I was told the transponder line is before the finish line.

Bobby Smith
7 Likes: chrismattlin, flagboy55, Hammer, huskermudd, interpreter66, Pat O'Connor Fan, trannyman
racen857 (Offline)
  #17 7/19/19 3:48 PM
Here it is.
4 Likes: erich45, Pat O'Connor Fan, ryan84, Sprints fan 11
Stevensville Mike (Offline)
  #18 7/19/19 4:19 PM
Front wheels are the call. From USAC:

http://www.usacracing.com/news/item/...y-photo-finish

"A glance at the timing showed Leary on top of the leaderboard as Cottle celebrated his triumph in victory lane. However, the transponder on the rear bumper of Leary’s car crossed the timing loop prior to the transponder on the tail of Cottle’s car, positioning Leary in front of Cottle on timing.

However, per USAC rule Part VI 9.4.C, a car will be officially credited with a lap only when its front wheels cross the start/finish line after completing one entire circuit of the course. The USAC chief scorer and race director unanimously agreed that Cottle’s front wheels crossed the start/finish line before Leary’s."

I think this is what WinglessLovers was referring to earlier in the thread.
6 Likes: duel, fish, flagboy55, opnwhlmnd, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART
dsc1600 (Offline)
  #19 7/19/19 6:12 PM
Whoever won, that was some fantastic racing. TrAck prep was on point.
3 Likes: buck2, Hammer, PIT CART
TQ29m (Online)
  #20 7/19/19 7:08 PM
We were told by the manufacturer, when we bought our transponders the reason for mounting them on the rear was the signal they send out is in a circle, that extends past the front wheels, and mounting them in the rear makes them more protected from damage, for what they cost, that's the way we mounted them.

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!