IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fixing a midget bladder
10/19/21, 7:11 PM   #1
Fixing a midget bladder
Subarumidget

Has anyone tried cutting, patching or modifying a bladder? This is a midget bladder made for alcohol. Ours is leaking somewhere. But I been wanting to cut and modify the shape of the bladder anyways. Is there a certain method, glue, or materials I should use? Any suggestions? Trying to make something similar to the Saldana style midget bladder.

10/20/21, 11:18 AM   #2
Tony74

www.hartwig-fuelcell.com
Will repair at a reasonable cost, probably can modify as well too.

10/20/21, 7:29 PM   #3
brettgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarumidget View Post
Has anyone tried cutting, patching or modifying a bladder? This is a midget bladder made for alcohol. Ours is leaking somewhere. But I been wanting to cut and modify the shape of the bladder anyways. Is there a certain method, glue, or materials I should use? Any suggestions? Trying to make something similar to the Saldana style midget bladder.
If it's just a pinhole leak I have had success with a patch repair kit from the bicycle store. For anything else I'd leave it to the professionals.

2 members like this post: erich45, jjones752
10/21/21, 12:23 PM   #4
Re: Fixing a midget bladder
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarumidget View Post
I have had great success in patching holes with a cheap vulcanizing patch kit for tubes/tires. I've fixed puncture holes as big as 1/2" as well as leaks at seams and pinholes in other areas. As far as altering the shape of the bladder, I think there might be more needed than simple patches or glue.

2 members like this post: jjones752, jonboat15
10/21/21, 1:57 PM   #5
Re: Fixing a midget bladder
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

I think you'd be better off looking for a used Saldana fuel-forward bladder in decent shape, especially if the one you have is already leaking. Patches are one thing but making major alterations to one of the most important pieces of safety equipment you have is a whole other Pandora's Can of Worms...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

3 members like this post: jdull99, jonboat15, luckybuc97
10/21/21, 2:22 PM   #6
TQ29m

A friend got "horned " one night, and we stopped it with clear silicone caulk, tipped the car to get the fuel away from the hole, let it evaporate dry, said a few words, let the silicone wax over, and made it through the night, nothing leaked. Next day I put some alcohol in a bottle, put some silicone on a piece of aluminum welding rod, dropped it wet in the bottle, lid on the bottle, and so help me they are still like that, and that's been at least 10 years ago. The silicone set up on the rod in the bottle!
Last edited by TQ29m; 10/21/21 at 2:23 PM.

10/21/21, 8:20 PM   #7
cowboyhar69

We’ve used shoe goo to fix pin hole leaks, works great!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

1 member likes this post: Drew Tarr
10/21/21, 8:23 PM   #8
cowboyhar69

https://www.google.com/search?q=shoe...ile-gws-wiz-hp

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fixing a midget bladder