IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rock Crest Raceway 10-16-21
10/14/21, 1:40 PM   #11
Re: Rock Crest Raceway 10-16-21
BeerCloud

See ya @ "The Rock".

I think the name change can have good potential.
Good luck RCR

4 members like this post: jonboat15, RockCrestRaceway, snowdrift, treecitytornado
10/14/21, 5:30 PM   #12
Pitdad

Such vitriol over a name change! I haven't seen one post on this subject that actually refers to the "old" track by the name "Twin Cities Raceway Park", which according to the news article I read was the actual name of the facility.

The track in Meeker, OK has changed names about a dozen time since it opened in the mid 80's. Every new owner or promoter that came in changed the name to put his/her stamp on the track. Those of us who raced there simply said, "Are you going to Meeker Saturday?" We didn't spend a lot of time worrying about whether we called it County Line Speedway, Lincoln County Speedway, Claxton Speedway, Brill's Motor Speedway, or Red Dirt Raceway. Sometimes, a name change IS a good thing because it signals a change in leadership or management. If there was a bad taste from how things were being done at Twin Cities Raceway Park, then changing the name signals a fresh start.

That said, you do need for people to be able to find you and if you're not naming the track specifically after the town it's in, you need to make sure there are ways to find it. You've got a Facebook page. That's a great, quick, cheap start. You control it and you can communicate immediately with followers. You do need to get that website launched and if your relationship with the owner of the old Twin Cities website is good, I'd get that old URL linked straight to your new site. Then, if someone searches for "Twin Cities" and find their URL, they get taken straight to Rock Crest Raceway website and immediately you learn about the name change.

Another thing I'd focus on is setting up an Google account (free and you can set it up yourself) so you can go into Google Maps and change the name pinned on their site. Most people are using digital maps to find places (present company excepted) and having that change made will help you immensely. And the best part is you don't have to wait for the phonebook or road maps to be published. They can change that in a day. I actually just submitted a suggestion to Google that they change the name, but you can take ownership of the location and verify that my suggestion is valid.

Probably the most important thing you can do beyond that is to keep talking about the track, on this message board, other message boards, Facebook, etc. When I Google searched "Rock Crest Raceway", I see the IOW message board, the Rock Crest Raceway Facebook page and the news article about the name/ownership change in the Madison Courier/North Vernon Plain Dealer & Sun. That's great, but don't stop there! Keep pumping your name out there on other boards and pages. If you guys do a benefit night, track sponsorships, Back-to-School night, any kind of specials, get that organization to link their Facebook to yours. That creates more traffic and more links. The more links you establish, the more hits you get.

I like your last sentence on that last entry of Twin Cities Track Facebook page: "Leave your negativity at home and let’s go Racing at the Rock!"

10/14/21, 5:39 PM   #13
Pitdad

OMG, I just watched the YouTube video of your track posted by JJ Hughes. What a great surface and configuration! If only you were 300 miles closer!

Get more videos posted! That's how the kids preview everything now. They look for a video or Tik Tok (whatever the 'ell that is...)

10/14/21, 6:51 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was there for the last race, The track was in great shape and the racing excellent.
z

BEWARE, A NEGATIVE POINT:
The mens Restroom could use a lightbulb But the track lighting illuminated it enough to see.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, RockCrestRaceway
10/15/21, 1:40 PM   #15
TQ29m

Just keep making it better, and don't depend on Facebook for butts on the boards, that track has a reputation for producing good racing, so the name really doesn't matter much, in this day and age, that's what people who still remember what good racing is all about, will visit, and if they like it, they will return, and bring more to TCRP, or whatever name they choose to relate to it. Thanks for your efforts, I have enjoyed racing there over the years, despite what others considered concerns. Just remember the old saying, if you build it, they will come.
Last edited by TQ29m; 10/15/21 at 3:23 PM.

10/15/21, 5:06 PM   #16
badcoupe

I hope you guys make a good go of it. We run there some between the TQ and a few others, I hate to see any track go by the wayside like the one 3 miles from my house has!

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld, tirespinner
10/15/21, 9:33 PM   #17
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDuBois View Post
Bad deal to change the name of the speedway. Bloomington Speedway went through this name changing a few years ago and the track almost went under.
When did Bloomington Speedway change their name? I don’t remember that.

2 members like this post: mlamb, tirespinner
10/15/21, 10:48 PM   #18
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Bloomington Speedway was named Mitchell Motor Speedway when Dave Mitchell had it,not sure exactly when that was.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner, treecitytornado
10/15/21, 10:59 PM   #19
treecitytornado

It was around 1985, when Mike Miles bought it & changed the name to Bloomington Speedway. 😁👍

1 member likes this post: wildman92
10/16/21, 10:06 AM   #20
RockCrestRaceway

*****ATTENTION*****
We are still racing!

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, chrismattlin, Gasitup, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rock Crest Raceway 10-16-21