IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Brandon Watson (Offline)
  #51 10/19/21 6:38 AM
Any updates on the driver in the non-wing Bmain?
B99 (Offline)
  #52 10/19/21 10:42 AM
I went Saturday, the O'Connor family did a heckuva job getting the whole facility in shape to even be able to run that night.

Having said that it was not the best run show I've ever seen at Kokomo, and I don't blame the promoter. It took forever to get cars on track, they were pushing off midgets and 305's when the 410's should have been headed out group qualifying. There were also two very close incidents in the pushoff area, one when a 305 stalled and the push truck nearly sent the next car into the rear of the stalled car, and then a fool in a thundercar attempted to go on track long after they were done running and stopped, and then backed up in the push off area right as a sprint car was being pushed off.

Like others we left during the extensive red in the B main. I hope that guy was OK, it was a nasty flip.
2 Likes: nathans1012, tirespinner
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #53 10/19/21 2:11 PM
Originally Posted by B99:
I went Saturday, the O'Connor family did a heckuva job getting the whole facility in shape to even be able to run that night.

Having said that it was not the best run show I've ever seen at Kokomo, and I don't blame the promoter. It took forever to get cars on track, they were pushing off midgets and 305's when the 410's should have been headed out group qualifying. There were also two very close incidents in the pushoff area, one when a 305 stalled and the push truck nearly sent the next car into the rear of the stalled car, and then a fool in a thundercar attempted to go on track long after they were done running and stopped, and then backed up in the push off area right as a sprint car was being pushed off.

Like others we left during the extensive red in the B main. I hope that guy was OK, it was a nasty flip.
It was the worst run show I’ve been to at Kokomo. 11:30 and the sprint main finally started. And it was 43 degrees. Next time I’ll stay home. Track’s need to think about this when they run these “fall finale” shows. A new fan will never come back if that’s what they think a normal show is like. Start early and on time for a multiple class, fall program.
Just my .02
3 Likes: addictedtodirt, Indy1808, tirespinner
sjracer26 (Offline)
  #54 10/19/21 3:14 PM
I completely understand the concerns with a late and cold show. However in their defense, the pits and infield were very swampy so starting any earlier wasn't really an option. And you can't anticipate the number of red flags an event will have, I mean who expected the thunder cars to have a red? Only class without a red all night was the Racesavers. From the track perspective this show is a big money maker with all the pit pass sales alone. So I understand their decision to get the show in. From a fan perspective I agree that when cars are still on track at 1:30am, it's not fun. The rain really caused a lot of the problems Saturday, including the rough track and needing to keep the infield tires way out which hindered the racing action. I applaud Kokomo for sticking with it and for not cutting the laps in any races. The push off issues definitely should be addressed, safety first and all. Personally, I'd rather be up at 1 am racing on a cold Saturday night over the alternatives.
2 Likes: Hustlin-Hoosier, tirespinner
flagboy55 (Offline)
  #55 10/20/21 9:36 PM
I’m having a hard time finding anything to be critical of. Those of us who’ve been around for a while and endured plenty end of season extravaganzas, know it can be a tough day/night at the track. What’s the option, season over? Considering the conditions I would say it went about as well as it could have. We didn’t go Saturday but were there Sunday. It was a great day. Started off with beers with my buddy Stevensville Mike, and went well after that. Some people complain about track conditions during a day show but I knew what to expect and gladly trade a great track for hours of chill. All in all Kokomo, as usual didn’t disappoint!
10 Likes: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, jonboat15, mc/rider, nathans1012, sjracer26, Spi-nex, tirespinner, TNRustler, Will Shunk
cwfan08 (Offline)
  #56 10/21/21 10:14 AM
Just be glad it got in. The grounds were a mess, but the sun and wind did help out. There was no way they could have started earlier because of that. Yes it was a late night and a few unfortunate things happened to extend the night, it's just part of it. I'm thankful the whole weekend got in, because Thursday it looked like they may not get any of it in.

Tk
7 Likes: BrentTFunk, Hustlin-Hoosier, nathans1012, sjracer26, tirespinner, TNRustler, Will Shunk