IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars
9/16/10, 11:15 AM   #31
Re: USAC pavement sprint cars
Graham08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9racing View Post
close, but not so close.. $250 to start minus $175.. $75 will probably cover 2 to 3 pit passes assuming the driver isnt a one man crew, your getting close to budget right there.. Then figure in, Fuel.. say 30 gallons of methanol as an estimate.. 2 bucks a gallon.. $60 bucks.. Oil.. I know my ride held 9 quarts.. 4 dollars a quart.. and a filter roughly $50.. Diesel to get to the track or gas at 3 dollars a gallon.. list goes on and on.. now if you live next to the track might be a little closer to target, but by no means even close to breaking even.. list goes on and on.. gear oil, assuming u change gears unless u hit it on the head first time out.. Motor and car maintenance.. food, drink yadda yadda yadda.. and last expense a large roll of extra soft toilet paper to clean your self up from all the "close calls" the car had while trying to get in the show to get your 250 bucks.. while I will admit 175 dollar tire bill sounds enticing, still a long way to go.. I do like the ideas coming from them though.. someone is stepping up to try it..
Believe me, I get what you're saying. I have paid the bills on my own operation, and it's staggering how fast the money goes.

I ran the MSA supermodified deal for a season. At that time, most places paid $200 to start, and you really needed to buy a right rear plus another tire to remotely be competitive. You were at roughly $450...or in the hole $250...just buying tires. And, it didn't pay any better than $200 until you got to 12th...

I don't expect to make money doing this...but also don't want to be in the hole hundreds or thousands for the night unless I finish in the top 2 or 3. The Spartan deal is a lot closer to that goal than anything I've seen recently.

9/16/10, 11:47 AM   #32
wildthing1h

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams17 View Post
I agree with many points everyone has said here. Expenses are the biggest reason it is hard for many of us to travel around and hit up these races. I love racing just as much as anyone on here and probably more but why would I want to try and race my car 7 times a year and lose an average of 2k atleast each night. It is impossible to forward your career with that amount of races so it makes no sense in blowing money like that on a hobby. I'll go buy a go-kart if I want to spend money on racing and race it every weekend and have a blast. Racing is racing, it does not matter what kind of car you are in in my opinion.

With that said, if the expenses are not going to come down, why not raise the purse? USAC has been paying 5k to win since my father was racing in the mid 90's. If you want to see the best sprint car race in the world go watch the Little 500. Not only is it the best race by far, it also pays 25k to win. How about 10 or 12 of those a year? Anderson, ORP, Mansfield, Toledo, Irwindale, Richmond, Iowa, Bristol?, and a few other nice tracks around the country. I think you'd have one hell of a series. The Little 5 had around 45 cars this year, sanction it by USAC and bring the other few from there and 50 cars at each of these tracks with 33 cars starting will be the biggest pavement racing going. Then combine it with all 3 series and have a separate dirt series for each. Pavement champion plus dirt champion equals your national crown champion. Perfect stepping stone into Indycars which is where every openwheel driver should have a goal of being.

This is just a dream of mine and if no one jumps on it, when I get enough knowledge and experience at a business standpoint I'll do it. USAC needs to get back to it's roots and bring openwheel racing back to life. We want to win the Indy 500, not a TORC series race. Don't give up on it, work on it and bring it back to where it should be, used to be, and better than ever.

Donnie Adams
i got your back donnie. I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/16/10, 11:53 AM   #33
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadams17 View Post
usac needs to get back to it's roots and bring openwheel racing back to life. We want to win the indy 500, not a torc series race. Don't give up on it, work on it and bring it back to where it should be, used to be, and better than ever.

Donnie adams

9/16/10, 12:05 PM   #34
USAC pavement sprint cars
mccune88

For me i have read what everyone has posted and i would love to see a tire rule... no matter what series it is heck even all of them...kinda like what kevin at sandusky speedway did with msa if im not mistaken they stamp 2 or 3 tires a night RF RR LR you qualify on them and leave them on all night...I ran a few races on the 55 RR at spartan and its a great tire. We need to try and find away to make it semi affordable for us all to go have a great night of racing...I know for a fact this year has been the most costly for us in the tire department and dont see it getting any better but worse if we dont make some kind of change now!!! I love nonwing racing and for spartan to start a cost effective way to do that im all for it. THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS
Jimmy McCune

5 members like this post: interpreter66, KOP, mod4s, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright
9/16/10, 12:50 PM   #35
duel

Please don't kill the sprint pavement usac. anyone over there listening? looks pretty simple to most that it is a tire issue. i also see some of this as a result of less disposeable income because of the economy. i hope and think next year things will turn around.

9/16/10, 12:58 PM   #36
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

ignoring cars counts and costs didnt somebody in usac say that hardly any pavement tracks even wanted races thats why they had to promote alot of there own pavement races.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/16/10, 1:30 PM   #37
Pavement Dave

The reason none of the promoters want a USAC race is due to the massive purse. At least with a Must See or HOSS purse promoters at least stand a chance to make a $. Low car counts dont help the back gate at all and promoters are dependant entirely on front gate admission. The lower purses of the wing cars and the amount of cars they bring make the risk vs. reward factor alot better for a promoter. With a USAC event, thats one tough nut to crack for a promoter in these troubled economic times and they just cant take that kind of risk right now. Most are struggling just to keep the doors open.

9/16/10, 3:43 PM   #38
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc96 View Post
I herd from a very reliable well 2 very reliable sources that Kevin Miller was putting the axe to all pavement sprint car racing next year.

That can't be right. Maybe this falls under the "schedule enhancement" catagory.
David.

---------- Post added at 02:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavement Dave View Post
The reason none of the promoters want a USAC race is due to the massive purse.
And/or sanction fee?
David.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
9/16/10, 4:02 PM   #39
Seadog

Quote:
The reason none of the promoters want a USAC race is due to the massive purse. At least with a Must See or HOSS purse promoters at least stand a chance to make a $. Low car counts dont help the back gate at all and promoters are dependant entirely on front gate admission. The lower purses of the wing cars and the amount of cars they bring make the risk vs. reward factor alot better for a promoter. With a USAC event, thats one tough nut to crack for a promoter in these troubled economic times and they just cant take that kind of risk right now. Most are struggling just to keep the doors open.
If a "promoter" was a real promoter, then the front gate should be profitable. IMO, they think if they just open the gates and the concession stand, lots of people will just magically show up. Some "promoters" need to go to the Rudisell/Barhorst et al School of Promoting.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Massive purse? Look at what Donnie Adams wrote a few posts above. If I am reading what he says correctly, one of the problems is the purse is not enough.

So which is it?
Last edited by Seadog; 9/16/10 at 4:09 PM.

9/16/10, 4:19 PM   #40
Pavement Dave

What kind of repsonse would be given to USAC if they went to Winchester and Salem and told them they need more money if they want a race in 2011?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC pavement sprint cars