IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flo and Kokomo
7/5/22, 6:28 PM   #11
JarrettFarms73

IMHO, if the music industry is any indication of digital media run amuck, it won’t be the tracks that are getting paid via streaming unless they have a direct investment in the platform that provides it.

Lars vs. Napster. Took awhile but others finally figured out what Lars could see coming.

Taylor Swift vs. Spotify. All that add revenue yet the artist was getting a half shell per play, not even the whole peanut.

Scarlett Johansson vs. Disney/ Marvel. Dual released her movie on the streaming app and the box office. Last i knew, she won that case for lost wages/ damages due to the simultaneous streaming release.

Im not 100% against streaming, i just can’t think of many examples where digital giveaways as advertisement worked in financial favor of the artist/ creator/ subject of talent.

Then again, maybe i’m still just a ticked off musician with a car trunk full of CD’s who never made it. hahaha

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, tirespinner
7/5/22, 10:28 PM   #12
flagboy55

Heath. That’s an interesting analogy. But here’s the caveat. I don’t consider it a giveaway. I spent $550 on streaming services this year. And, here’s the kicker. Because Seafoam sponsors Dirtvision I changed my fuel stabilizer. Because Castrol sponsors Flo Night in America Late Model series, that was my last oil change. I bought a Lucas detail kit. See where I’m going? I’m a streamer who is definitely not the bad guy, I’m a paying customer in more ways than one. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m only going to so many races. Of course I could go to more if some of you would volunteer to stain the deck and do other house projects for me.

2 members like this post: The Old Coyote, tj39
7/6/22, 10:33 AM   #13
Eric Smith

Would I watch Kokomo races on Flo, yes. Would seeing races on Flo make me want to get to Kokomo to see a race more, yes. Can I make the 5 hour trip to Kokomo on a Sunday, no. Does watching on Flo increase the likelihood of me making a trip for special events, yes. Streaming services are 100% positively influencing racing and race tracks in my experience. I now have a list of tracks and races all over the US that I am trying to go to that I never would have thought about going to if not for seeing them on streaming. Including Kokomo.

7/6/22, 11:52 AM   #14
Re: Flo and Kokomo
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Heath. That’s an interesting analogy. But here’s the caveat. I don’t consider it a giveaway. I spent $550 on streaming services this year. And, here’s the kicker. Because Seafoam sponsors Dirtvision I changed my fuel stabilizer. Because Castrol sponsors Flo Night in America Late Model series, that was my last oil change. I bought a Lucas detail kit. See where I’m going? I’m a streamer who is definitely not the bad guy, I’m a paying customer in more ways than one. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m only going to so many races. Of course I could go to more if some of you would volunteer to stain the deck and do other house projects for me.
It is not a giveaway for you. It is a giveaway for the tracks and racers.

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
7/6/22, 11:55 AM   #15
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
You make valid points. “Giveaway” is probably the wrong wording, it’s just what came to mind in context of using Napster as my first example and my own experiences trying to grow our fan base. Plus, using the music industry might not even be a fair comparison. It may be apples to granola bars for all i know.

It’s definitely good to see corporate sponsorship in our sport. If streaming availability is the catalyst to corporate sponsors helping to increase purses, then that’s awesome!! But i’d still inject the idea of a larger purse does not translate to dollars for the track owner. See Terre Haute from earlier this year.

That said, the amount of production time and equipment it takes to even air it is obscene. If that’s where the majority of the money from streaming stays, i can’t comfortably ask for money out of their pocket to give to the tracks either. It’s a difficult puzzle for sure.

Side note. Kokomo was packed with families Sunday night! You could tell nobody had to work the next day. Kudos to them for continuing to make a go of a mostly “work night” schedule.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, racenut69, tirespinner
7/6/22, 11:57 AM   #16
JarrettFarms73

This is a test- Ok cool. Just making sure my keypad was capable of making posts under 140 characters. lol #DamnSon

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, racenut69, tirespinner
7/6/22, 3:28 PM   #17
Will Shunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
Would I watch Kokomo races on Flo, yes. Would seeing races on Flo make me want to get to Kokomo to see a race more, yes. Can I make the 5 hour trip to Kokomo on a Sunday, no. Does watching on Flo increase the likelihood of me making a trip for special events, yes. Streaming services are 100% positively influencing racing and race tracks in my experience. I now have a list of tracks and races all over the US that I am trying to go to that I never would have thought about going to if not for seeing them on streaming. Including Kokomo.
Eric, I totally agree with all of your points. 4 hrs one way for me. I love Kokomo Speedway, the promoters, the staff, the teams, the fans, and especially the racing. Streaming has allowed me to see tracks, series, racing, and drivers I could never have otherwise. Soon I can head to tracks new to me far and wide because of FLO. For now I get to watch Day, Dom, Golobic, Dewease, Wagner, Rahmer, Timms, Hahn, Westbrook, Flud, Bochele, etc. live because of streaming. IMO Kokomo needs to at least revisit the ROI of the FLO streaming option. By the way, spending and heading to GC & Kokomo to see, in person, the stars of MSCS this weekend due to streaming and the fact Haubstadt is too far away for a one off race for me right now. See you at the races.

5 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, luckybuc97, PIT CART, racenut69, tirespinner
7/6/22, 3:35 PM   #18
Bostonian

If not for Flo Racing, I'd have no idea who you're talking about. Now, I get to watch and see the tracks and drivers that I can't watch in person. Doesn't USAC know that Boston, MA, is the hub of all things open-wheel dirt racing? Oh, and a couple of decent asphalt drivers too. BS III, Bently Warren, the Seymore racing family, etc.

3 members like this post: Speedwrench, tirespinner, Will Shunk
7/6/22, 4:18 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I got no idea what the return from streaming to a track is. I do hope the streaming service and track can communicate on how many are watching. I got the feeling that some shows probably have ten times actual attendance. say you got 4k fans for sprint week. I'd think it easy to assume 40k tune in. Chili bowl, probably in the hundreds of thousands.

But I know nothing, But I think tracks should take it as potential customers and not just a drain on attendance,, It probably does affect attendance if iffy weather is forecast. IDK.

Happy racing.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, BrentTFunk
7/6/22, 8:19 PM   #20
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Shunk View Post
Eric, I totally agree with all of your points. 4 hrs one way for me. I love Kokomo Speedway, the promoters, the staff, the teams, the fans, and especially the racing. Streaming has allowed me to see tracks, series, racing, and drivers I could never have otherwise. Soon I can head to tracks new to me far and wide because of FLO. For now I get to watch Day, Dom, Golobic, Dewease, Wagner, Rahmer, Timms, Hahn, Westbrook, Flud, Bochele, etc. live because of streaming. IMO Kokomo needs to at least revisit the ROI of the FLO streaming option. By the way, spending and heading to GC & Kokomo to see, in person, the stars of MSCS this weekend due to streaming and the fact Haubstadt is too far away for a one off race for me right now. See you at the races.
You would have to see it in person. MSCS has never streamed to my knowledge, minus co sanctions with USAC. In fact, I have never really seen any video highlights the next day. Hope to be at both shows myself. Have fun

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Flo and Kokomo