IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora
7/29/12, 1:26 AM   #41
Re: eldora
Sprintcarfanatic

Grant had a flat RR & pulled off instead of stopping on the track & getting it changed, Started 23 cars & 14 were running at the end. Grant could have had a better finish than what he did if he had changed the tire.

7/29/12, 7:48 AM   #42
IndyBound

Congrats Dave!!!!

Patti

1 member likes this post:
7/29/12, 9:58 AM   #43
cowboyhar69

DARLAND BANKS BIG WIN AT ELDORA

Rossburg, Ohio…….Dave Darland notched another big AMSOIL National Sprint Car win as he led the final 28 laps en route to the $10,500 pay day at Eldora Speedway Saturday night in the “Sprint Car Summer Shootout” presented by Napa.

It was Coleman Gulick who led the field to the green, as the Binghamton, New York youngster led his first laps at the famed Ohio half-mile. Bryan Clauson jumped from row-two and grabbed the lead on lap four, building a comfortable lead. A long green-flag run developed, and Clauson led Darland as they pulled away from the field.

Darland reeled Clauson in as they reached the race’s mid-point, and a lap-23 slidejob in turn-one gave Darland the lead. Just after, Gulick showed heavy smoke and laid down oil while running in the fourth spot. The race was red-flagged for a short time.

After the race resumed, it was all Darland and Clauson up front. With the laps waning, Clauson inched back forward and appeared to be close to threatening for the lead as they completed lap 45. Robert Ballou had ridden the tough cushion all the way from 23rd to third, but his run ended as he stopped in turn-three, bringing out a caution and giving the leaders clear track ahead of them.

That was all Darland needed, as he got a great restart and was unchallenged by Clauson over the final four laps, picking up a very popular win in the Jeff’s Jam-It-In Storage – Parker Store of Phoenix #11 Maxim/Claxton.

“Eldora’s a great place, has some great fans, and I just love racing here. The track preparation tonight was great. You could definitely do some good racing out there. I was glad to see that late caution just to clear the lapped cars. I was having trouble seeing the cushion with those guys running right there. Bryan’s (Clauson) a great race car driver, so you have to be ready for him, but it was nice to have clear track. Jeff Walker gives me a great car, and our fresh Claxton Engine was strong,” Darland said.

Clauson was a strong second, coming up just short in his attempt to challenge Darland for the top spot. Although he missed out on his first Eldora Sprint Car win, it was his best finish at the track in the Curb Records – R&B Trucker’s #7 Maxim/Fisher.

“We had a really good car the longer the run went. You’re gonna have a hard time beating Darland when it’s slick to a curb like that, but we gave it our best shot. I don’t know what I was gonna do with him when I got to him, but we were definitely catching him before that caution. This place is not one of my best tracks, but I felt like we were going pretty good. We came up a little bit short, but getting beat here by Darland is nothing to hang your head about,” Clauson said.

Jon Stanbrough started fourth but faded early before rallying late to grab the final podium spot in the Roberts/Tate Racing – Leer Racing #21x DRC/Speedway.

“We were really tight at the beginning and fell back quite a ways. We got a little lucky with some guys falling out, but I knew with it being a long race that saving our stuff would be pretty important. Tonight was just a solid night, and it definitely gets our confidence higher to come back here,” Stanbrough said.

Chase Stockon came home fourth and picked up another Schroeder Torsion Bars “Hard Charger Award” after starting 20th in the field aboard the Terre Haute First Financial Bank – Superior Tank & Trailer #32 DRC/Fisher. Thomas Meseraull overcame a tire change on the mid-race red-flag to round out the top-five in the Baldwin Brothers Racing – Fox Paving #5 Maxim/Claxton Mopar.

AMSOIL USAC NATIONAL SPRINT CAR RACE RESULTS: July 28, 2012 – Rossburg, OH – Eldora Speedway – “Summer Sprint Car Shootout”

QUALIFYING: 1. Justin Grant, 40, Hery-15.508; 2. Tracy Hines, 4, Hines-15.526; 3. Darren Hagen, 69, Dynamics-15.703; 4. Bobby East, 5E, East-15.714; 5. Daron Clayton, 92, Clayton-15.718; 6. Landon Simon, 45, CSR-15.752; 7. Chase Stockon, 32, Stockon-15.755; 8. Jerry Coons, Jr., 71P, Phillips-15.759; 9. Levi Jones, 20, Stewart/Curb-Agajanian-15.760; 10. Bryan Clauson, 7, Tucker/BCI/Curb-Agajanian-15.778; 11. Damion Gardner, 71, DG-15.820; 12. Bud Kaeding, 29, BK-15.891; 13. Hunter Schuerenberg, 35, Byram-15.941; 14. Kevin Thomas, Jr., 9K, BlackJack-15.979; 15. Thomas Meseraull, 5, Baldwin-16.008; 16. Mike Brecht, 9x, Courtad-16.017; 17. Kody Swanson, 19, Slinkard-16.018; 18. Matt Westfall, 54, Westfall-16.031; 19. Robert Ballou, 81, MPHG-16.038; 20. Coleman Gulick, 14, Gulick-16.052; 21. Jon Stanbrough, 21x, Roberts/Tate-16.071; 22. Dallas Hewitt, 2M, Campbell-16.143; 23. Dave Darland, 11, Walker-16.241; 24. C.J. Leary, 30, Leary-16.255; 25. Joe Bares, 19x, TEST-16.276; 26. Sheldon Haudenschild, 93, Haudenschild-16.339; 27. Scotty Weir, 22s, Simon-16.339; 28. Brandon Whited, 15, Whited-16.360; 29. Todd Kane, 78, Kane-16.390; 30. Mike Miller, 82, Miller-16.507; 31. Dustin Smith, 37, Conaway-16.694; 32. Brandon Ferguson, 15x, Ferguson-16.946; 33. Mark Cassella, 91, Gagliardi-16.967; 34. Derek Hastings, 32M, Marshall-17.175; 35. Lewie Christian, 8, Christian-17.411; 36. Tom Rhoades, 31M, Marshall-NT (time of 16.451 disallowed).

FIRST HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Stanbrough, 2. Schuerenberg, 3. Grant, 4. Jones, 5. Kane, 6. Swanson, 7. Bares, 8. Clayton, 9. Cassella. 2:12.43

SECOND HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Clauson, 2. Hines, 3. Miller, 4. Thomas, 5. Hewitt, 6. Hastings, 7. Simon, 8. Haudenschild, 9. Westfall. 2:13.02

THIRD HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Darland, 2. Meseraull, 3. Hagen, 4. Smith, 5. Gardner, 6. Weir, 7. Stockon, 8. Christian, 9. Ballou. NT

FOURTH HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Gulick, 2. Kaeding, 3. Coons, 4. Leary, 5. East, 6. Brecht, 7. Rhoades, 8. Ferguson, 9. Whited. NT

SEMI: (12 laps) 1. Gardner, 2. Stockon, 3. Weir, 4. Hewitt, 5. Ballou, 6. Simon, 7. Westfall, 8. Haudenschild, 9. Bares, 10. Hastings, 11. Ferguson, 12. Cassella, 13. Christian, 14. Rhoades, 15. Brecht, 16. Kane, 17. Swanson. NT

FEATURE: (50 laps) 1. Dave Darland, 2. Bryan Clauson, 3. Jon Stanbrough, 4. Chase Stockon, 5. Thomas Meseraull, 6. Darren Hagen, 7. Dustin Smith, 8. Damion Gardner, 9. Levi Jones, 10. Tracy Hines, 11. Jerry Coons, Jr., 12. Scotty Weir, 13. C.J. Leary, 14. Dallas Hewitt, 15. Robert Ballou, 16. Hunter Schuerenberg, 17. Justin Grant, 18. Bud Kaeding, 19. Coleman Gulick, 20. Kevin Thomas, Jr., 21. Mike Miller, 22. Bobby East, 23. Daron Clayton. NT

--------------------------------

**Whited flipped in Heat 4. Swanson flipped in the Semi. Brecht flipped in the Semi.

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-3 Gulick, Laps 4-22 Clauson, Laps 23-50 Darland.

NEW AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT POINTS: 1-Stanbrough-1,198, 2-Jones-1,192; 3-Darland-1,115, 4-Clauson-1,012, 5-Gardner-1,010, 6-Hines-945, 7-Schuerenberg-893, 8-Ballou-884, 9-Thomas-877, 10-Stockon-876.

NEXT AMSOIL NATIONAL SPRINT RACE: August 3 – Eagle, NE – Eagle Raceway

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

7/29/12, 10:09 AM   #44
EldoraMark

It was a good night of racing. Passing from deep in the field in the heats and features. (Did not have to change my name to Dustora)
Visit with ole friends and met some new one. Love the 50 lapper and hope they continue to do so once a year. They allowed the crew to refuel the cars on a red flag stop, had no problem with that. One guy next to me complained about it so I told him to get his money out and buy all the guys larger fuel tanks for one race. The ones that complain about Eldora and did not attend the race, It's your loss.

7/29/12, 10:12 AM   #45
cowboyhar69

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
Last edited by cowboyhar69; 7/29/12 at 10:13 AM.

6 members like this post: Deansnuts, dirtball, EBookerFan, jerrythar500, racegal, Rick Eaton
7/29/12, 10:42 AM   #46
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldoraMark View Post
It was a good night of racing. Passing from deep in the field in the heats and features. (Did not have to change my name to Dustora)
Visit with ole friends and met some new one. Love the 50 lapper and hope they continue to do so once a year. They allowed the crew to refuel the cars on a red flag stop, had no problem with that. One guy next to me complained about it so I told him to get his money out and buy all the guys larger fuel tanks for one race. The ones that complain about Eldora and did not attend the race, It's your loss.
So the name is still Eldora Mark! Remember you aren't Dustora, it would be Coldwater Mark. Need to keep the Mark part in there.

7/29/12, 10:52 AM   #47
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I tell you what, If USAC used this format and made a heat finish mean more than a transfer. THEY'D HAVE PACKED HOUSES! and fourth would still be a transfer, Was great seeing Tracy come from 9th to pass clauson and BC saying Oh hecky no YOU ALMOST NEVER SEE GUYS IN A TRANSFER racing that hard for one more spot in USAC HEATS except for fourth! Also grant coming from tail to third ect The first three heats were stellar!

The only thing I didn't understand was the fast timers who didn't qualify in the heat getting put in front of the B transfers who RACED THEIR WAY IN.

That being said, Landon Simon had a rocket ship and qualified top three? That wheel of missfortune bit him bad and what heartbreak when Ballou got him for final transfer in B.

IDK, Was it me or was Ballou clearly a half second faster than anyone. I seen him hit the lip a couple times in the feature and almost loose it, He needed the Yellow to catch BC and DD but WATCHING BALLOU ALONE WAS WORTH THE TRIP.

DD, Awesome race! Congrats!

What got into Stockton? Kids been bad fast all sprintweek and last night, I mean He's been much improved as far as national races lately. Good Job Chase! Hope Sam was able to get there to see it!

BC was coming before the final yellow, Don't know what would have happen if they'd of caught the lappers..

Track didn't take rubber all night which I loved, I still can't get used to cars gunning low and being as fast as cushion runners, Oh wait, THEY aren't. Ballou rode it as much as possible.

Had fun, crowd was good. Liked the format much more than USAC Regular. Reminded me of Gaines, Bob kinser, Wilkerson racing from the tail to win heats not transfer from a third or fourth finish.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/29/12 at 10:53 AM.

5 members like this post: Jbaldwin, Mud Packer, speed bump, Tim Watson, Tony Barhorst
7/29/12, 11:27 AM   #48
nowings

RR tire went down hit the big cushin several times in the middle of 3& 4 .

Posted via Mobile Device

7/29/12, 11:52 AM   #49
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Ballou's Driveline broke, wasn't tire

7/29/12, 11:53 AM   #50
Onlydirt

Took my Mom and Dad for their first Eldora Experience, they loved it! Mom loves sprints and Dad can take it or leave it, but he really like the big fast track. Racing was awesome format was pretty good, could use a tweak or two but made for some great racing.

Ballou was the Mad Man once again...then broke. I dont think he was gonna advance from 3rd, but moving up 20 spots was an awesome site to see for sure. I told my Mom and Dad what cars to watch and I was spot on all night thanks to BC and Ballou.

By the way this was my first trip back to Eldora for at least 5 yrs and the place was great!

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > eldora