IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
9/14/09, 7:34 AM   #31
Re: The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana
SteveD

Summer of '74 Mike Waltz was working for Taylor Plumbing (Bob,Jack) in Bloomington. This shop was a big supporter of racing. Mike started his apprenticeship program that fall. I used to drive Mike to Kokomo to catch sprint rides. Mike was raised around racing and the old timers watched him grow up. Mike didn't need power steering for he was tough as nails. Had he been born in Montana he'd been a bull rider. Engineer boots, bluejeans and flannel shirts seven days a week. A lot of folks 'round here miss that guy! RIP Mike
Last edited by SteveD; 9/14/09 at 4:37 PM.

9/14/09, 4:19 PM   #32
treecitytornado

What about the Eldora 500 sprint car races! I'm not sure how many Earl ran but I know Phil Miller told me he ran for Dave Hurst in one of those races and he may have had a relief driver too.

9/14/09, 7:40 PM   #33
somebodysmam

Sorry guys the belts in the car were brand new after the fire at Paragon and he hit a rut in turn 1 running flat out,they never gave the time but I had him at a new track record.His death was hard on a lot of us as we were very close to his family. The only damage to the car that horrible night was minor stuff but we took it away because the fuel tank was leaking and a lot of people was walking around it smoking. The wreck happened the night after Pargon at a rare Labor Day Race at Bloomington.

9/14/09, 9:34 PM   #34
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
What about the Eldora 500 sprint car races! I'm not sure how many Earl ran but I know Phil Miller told me he ran for Dave Hurst in one of those races and he may have had a relief driver too.
Earl ran the 500 lap sprint car races in 1965, 66, and 67.

9/14/09, 11:59 PM   #35
ajfoytfan

As a young boy around 13 I helped Mike take the seat belts out of the Irwin and Rachel Cooper #79 car so he could use them in the Harold Myers car. Since my dad drove for Jim I had known the entire family since I was very young. Words cannot do justice to the way I felt to have witnessed someone getting killed let alone someone I knew as a kind person. I will never forget dad saying I can't race tonight even though we need the money it wouldn't be rite. Our family along with many other racers loaded up and left after Mikes accident to console his family. This was the night Kerry Norris won his first sprint car race driving the 5N for his mom and dad.

Tim Wilkerson
Last edited by ajfoytfan; 9/15/09 at 12:28 AM.

9/15/09, 9:45 AM   #36
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdog45 View Post
sprint car races use to run much longer distances, usac used to run 100 lappers all the time. With a large tank and no wings, like alot of early woo shows were it wouldn't be that hard to run a 150 lapper on that small of a track, would have been less than 50 miles total plus the engines didn't use as much fuel back then and tires were alot harder, lasting several races instead of a few laps. A sprint car can still run alot of laps even today, look at the little 500 for an example, 500 laps with 2 pitstops means you need to run up to 200 laps nonstop. Can be done with bigger tanks, harder tires etc.
when we ran 100 laps on a half mile in usac there where 305 ci. Engines! And we raced 100 mile midgets races! With 15 gallon tanks! The little 500 is a 125 mile race! And not on the gas very long!!!!!!!!!!! With 410ci. Engines today your lucky to run 20 miles on a half!!!!!!!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The longest WoO sprint car race - Paragon Speedway, Indiana