IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remembering James McElreath
10/16/23, 1:04 PM   #1
Remembering James McElreath
openwheelfan1

On this day 46 years ago we lost James McElreath in a tragic accident during the first of twin 50 lap USAC sprint features at Winchester. A rising star, James was a genuinely nice guy with an immense pedigree and a ton of talent. Thankful to have known you. Race in Peace!

10/16/23, 2:15 PM   #2
Hubie48

Our Sport can be very cruel.

Where did all the time go? It is cool knowing there are a few photos of James hanging in public places down around Monrovia, Mooresville area.

RIP Racer

10/16/23, 8:47 PM   #3
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
On this day 46 years ago we lost James McElreath in a tragic accident during the first of twin 50 lap USAC sprint features at Winchester. A rising star, James was a genuinely nice guy with an immense pedigree and a ton of talent. Thankful to have known you. Race in Peace!
I was just getting ready to post about this when I saw your post. Seems like Winchester always produced drama. On my first visit October 17, 1971, Larry (Boom Boom) Cannon contacted the wall at the flagstand and flipped the length of the straightaway, winding up at the bottom of the track in the first turn. He gained considerable altitude during the flip and his arms extended out of the cockpit over his head in a spectacular fashion. At the time we still had an afternoon newspaper in Evansville and a photo of Larry flying through the air was posted. The caption read, Cannon misfires.
On a personal level 50 years ago on October 14, 1973 I was involved in a serious accident north of Vincennes while returning from Winchester when a drunk driver made a left turn in front of me. My dad spent 17 days in the hospital as a result.
I miss the days of the twin 50s that were run at different tracks every Sunday in October for several years.

10/16/23, 10:11 PM   #4
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

I remember reading about James and all the talent he had. He was taken from the racing world at such a young age.

I'm also one that attended Winchester for the first time in 1981, and saw tragedy take a rising 28yr old ASA star right on the main straightaway, hitting the gate. I had driven from north central Illinois to see the ASA Winchester 400 and the high banks which I read so much about. Sadly, there are many others that met this same fate at Winchester. Prayers for all.

The Pat Schauer Memorial Rookies of the Year is named after Pat Schauer, of Watertown, Wisconsin, who was killed October 4, 1981, at Winchester Speedway during an ASA race. Schauer was the rookie point leader at the time.
Last edited by Grocery Guy; 10/16/23 at 10:18 PM.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, LUCKYONE, ronmil
10/16/23, 11:21 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
I remember reading about James and all the talent he had. He was taken from the racing world at such a young age.

I'm also one that attended Winchester for the first time in 1981, and saw tragedy take a rising 28yr old ASA star right on the main straightaway, hitting the gate. I had driven from north central Illinois to see the ASA Winchester 400 and the high banks which I read so much about. Sadly, there are many others that met this same fate at Winchester. Prayers for all.

The Pat Schauer Memorial Rookies of the Year is named after Pat Schauer, of Watertown, Wisconsin, who was killed October 4, 1981, at Winchester Speedway during an ASA race. Schauer was the rookie point leader at the time.
I was also at the Winchester 400 on October 4, 1981 when Pat Schauer died. The crowd was so large there were no grandstand seats available when I arrived and I had to view the race from the infield. I believe Pat Schauer crashed because another car blew a tire and he made a sudden move causing him to hit the gate.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy
10/17/23, 10:05 AM   #6
Re: Remembering James McElreath
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post

Winchester is no joke. It's the only track I ever raced at where I was actually a little scared getting up to speed. No other place really compared to what it feels like racing there. It's a wonder that we haven't lost even more drivers there than we have.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, Grocery Guy, LUCKYONE, ronmil
10/17/23, 12:16 PM   #7
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget98 View Post
Winchester is no joke. It's the only track I ever raced at where I was actually a little scared getting up to speed. No other place really compared to what it feels like racing there. It's a wonder that we haven't lost even more drivers there than we have.
I saw some of the best races I ever witnessed at Winchester but also some of the most vicious, tragic accidents I ever saw as well. Winchester was and is an iconic track. It made reputations, but ended more than a few.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Grocery Guy, ronmil
10/17/23, 1:44 PM   #8
NoDramazone2020

I did not miss many races at Winchester back then when I was a kid. I am glad I missed this day. I too saw many bad ones here....the Dana Carter, Bill Cassella accident was bad one right under the bridge, and Butch Wilkerson had a bad one as well.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Grocery Guy, openwheelfan1
10/17/23, 6:21 PM   #9
bart

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I did not get to know James, but did spend some time with his dad. Here are James' and his sister Shirley Ann's jackets I donated to the Museum of American Speed just last week in his honor.

Bart
Attached Images
JamesJacket.jpg (187.9 KB, 36 views)
ShirleyAnnJacket.jpg (201.9 KB, 35 views)

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hubie48, Ilovedirttrackracing, openwheelfan1
10/17/23, 6:39 PM   #10
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I was also at the Winchester 400 on October 4, 1981 when Pat Schauer died. The crowd was so large there were no grandstand seats available when I arrived and I had to view the race from the infield. I believe Pat Schauer crashed because another car blew a tire and he made a sudden move causing him to hit the gate.
Hey Ron,

How ironic someone on IOW was also at the 1981 Winchester 400, or the Dri-Powr 400 back then. It certainly was a sad day. I can remember everything about that weekend like it was yesterday. I drove my Pontiac J-2000 there. Stayed at the old Overpass Motel. It was a cool cloudy weekend. Pretty sure no racing on Saturday, only qualifying. You are right....it was a SRO crowd. I was sitting on the main straightaway coming out of turn 4. Prior to the race, I stood by Dick Trickle and Pat Schauer during the pre-race meet and greet. They were joking around and talking to all the fans. I'm almost certain the accident happened with only 19 laps to go. Pat's car was nudged and veered left toward that pit gate and when he hit it, it was the most sickening explosive sound. I remember leaving the race after that happened because I was so upset. I called the ASA office the next day to confirm the tragic news. Pretty sure Pat had three boys and they and his wife presented the ASA Rookie of the Year award in his honor for many years later. How sad, yet how proud they were.

All of us race fans have memories like etched in our minds, good or bad. Next spring or summer I'll reach out to you and find you at at track to meet you. Thanks

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DaveP63, Hubie48, ronmil, WinglessLovers
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Remembering James McElreath