IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hulman VS National’s
6/30/20, 5:37 PM   #11
openwheelfan1

The Hulman Classic was really the first Sprint car race to be televised on a National network. The fact that it was a USAC race though made it to where only those with a USAC license could participate, at least early in the 70’s until USAC permitted TP’s, which excluded some awfully good sprint car drivers that wanted nothing to do with USAC.

In the same vein, USAC didn’t permit their drivers in the 60’s and early 70’s to race outside of USAC, so their drivers couldn’t race the Knoxville Nationals. Also, since the Knoxville Nationals were basically open competition, the cars were quite a bit different than USAC legal cars.

I will say this: in the mid 70’s, when I was attending school in Terre Haute, ALL the races at the THAT we’re a big deal, but especially the Hulman. The city really got behind the event and there were events in the days leading up to it. Now, you’d hardly know there was a race in town. Having been to the Knoxville Nationals the last several years, it is pretty cool to see the town of Knoxville, Iowa still get behind the races like they still do. It is part of what makes it a great event.

I would agree that trying to compare the two events is comparing apples to oranges.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, jim goerge, ronmil
7/1/20, 12:37 AM   #12
flagboy55

Some great feedback. Good points about foresight and also restrictions placed on drivers back in those days. Which btw while watching PA speedweek tonight had me thinking about the Outlaws and how that word in itself should be changed as apparently they can’t run out of sanction, but I digress. I certainly remember the ties that USAC had to the Speedway which were both good and bad probably as far as the other series under their control was concerned. If it’s true that the Hulman paid 40k to win back then, that’s remarkable! 98% of races these days don’t pay that much to win. I’m guessing outside of ******** which I’m sure was in play with USAC, any driver if asked back then if he could win one sprint car race, they most likely would reply Terre Haute. The money and exposure at the time were probably bigger enticement. To me, it’s just a shame that the Tony Hulman Classic isn’t a more celebrated event universally in the sprint car world knowing the history of the race. But I guess these days in America we try to erase history. Thanks again for all your input, and keep it coming if you have anymore to add

3 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, oppweld, sw1911
7/1/20, 9:33 AM   #13
Re: Hulman VS National’s
dsc1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Some great feedback. Good points about foresight and also restrictions placed on drivers back in those days. Which btw while watching PA speedweek tonight had me thinking about the Outlaws and how that word in itself should be changed as apparently they can’t run out of sanction, but I digress.
The term 'Outlaw' is just a brand, it's not to be taken literally. One of the reasons why they get big crowds for their races is because their drivers are tied to that series and can't race elsewhere (with the occasional exception).

7/1/20, 11:11 AM   #14
sw1911

awesome thread, thanks for the education

3 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld, racenut69
7/1/20, 11:24 AM   #15
flagboy55

1600 I get the brand Outlaw, but it was derived from when racers chased the money without allegiance to a sanction body. They stated on one of the PA races Bobby Allen’s shop was literally 5 minutes down the road. I’ll bet shark racing were “chomping “ at the bit to go race with them. The name has become a ironic

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
7/1/20, 12:08 PM   #16
Will Shunk

My thoughts on these two events and their trajectory is basically tied to a large purse and a sanction that requires absolute membership/adherence. The Hulman initially had the big pay off, TV exposure, and a guarantee of seeing many Indy 500 participants tied to strict USAC regulations. Once this set of conditions gradually fell by the wayside, so did the prestige of the Hulman. For a decade or so the Nationals vacillated back and forth wing, non wing, wing, and open sanction trying to find a path to prestige level event. In the 90's WoO guaranteed the "Big Three", some delayed TV broadcast, and the Nationals as their "Indy 500". The rest is history as the TV expanded the National's reach and exposure, WoO grew to the premier sanction in sprint car racing, and the money started to pour in. BE AWARE that we are now at the cusp of another shake up in racing in general and sprint car racing specifically. Pay per view will allow more events to showcase their brand, quality of racing, and competition to a vast audience to discover. You now see local series nearing the pay outs and exposure of the traveling series. Very good teams are electing to come off the road to run close to home, family, crew, work, and loyal fan base for money that screams ROI. USAC, WoO, ASCoC, ASCS and possibly PowrI may need to significantly raise the purse in order to keep enough travelers in the fold. The sky is not falling but the winds of change might be upon us again.

7/1/20, 1:28 PM   #17
flagboy55

Interesting take Will. My original thoughts in starting this thread was to gain a little more historical perspective and also lament the fact that Terre Haute should be recognized today by about every sprint car news outlet there is, however I don’t see that. In to your point about the winds of change I don’t see exactly where you’re coming from. It’s my belief that streaming money will come to the series and I’m going to bet into point funds. One thing I notice more on Flo and following them on Twitter is more and more National brand advertising. My hope is that not only does this make money for Flo, keeps subscriptions low, and then filters down to the series and the tracks. I don’t see this happening overnight but that’s where I hope it’s going. Local shows on the stream don’t do a whole lot for me. I don’t want to watch the support classes and what not. Back to my original point, let those of us who understand what the Tony Hulman Classic is celebrate another edition this evening

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, Rcar, Will Shunk
7/1/20, 5:48 PM   #18
Blackduce

B99 Hulman Classic didn't start until 1971.

Never went to the Hulman Classic.
Returned from Vietnam and found a job building Indy Cars. Working day and night. Indy cars for GB, Mclreath. Mclusky, Rutherford,
Sessions, & Grim. So I missed the starting years of Hulman Classic.
I was 60 miles away.

Lynn
Last edited by Blackduce; 7/1/20 at 5:58 PM.

7/1/20, 8:19 PM   #19
ThePurple73

Back in the mid 1960's USAC and IMCA sprint cars were real popular. There would be drivers that didn't belong to either and were good. Those drivers were called "outlaw's" originally. That and drivers who would run outside the organizations which had the name as running as an outlaw.

I remember there would be good drivers who farmed or ran a business and couldn't get away to chase points or in some cases race very often at all. But they could show up and be capable of winning.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69
7/1/20, 8:56 PM   #20
dsc1600

“In its inaugural year, the race paid a total purse of $28,538 ($180,200 today) and was televised on ABC's Wide World of Sports, becoming the first televised sprint car race in history.”

If that’s true, isn’t it also true that the purse in 1970 bigger than it is in 2020 regardless of inflation?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hulman VS National’s