IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Tumey's 55 (Offline)
  #1 8/25/13 1:37 PM
The last couple of nights at Smackdown I witnessed some unfortunate behavior which we could have done without. Everyone has a right to have a great time at the track and while I choose not to drink I know there are some who do, that is OK. Where it crosses the line is when it negatively impacts others. Friday night some kids who looked to be about 15 were sneaking a beer and then spilled it on my daughter, appreciate the adults who provided that to them. Later, the guy in front of us was so drunk he nearly passed out, I thought for sure he was going to Ralph all over everyone, fortunately he did not. Last night guys were yelling F-bombs with young children around, great atmosphere for a family, not. Finally, during the thunder car feature a guy politely asked another guy to sit down so he could see. The response he received was to be ridiculed for wanting to watch the Thunder cars.

None of this could ruin the enjoyment I had at Smackdown. I merely ask that some slip the beer goggles off for a minute and understand their surroundings. If we want more people to attend races and expand the fan base to the next generation this type of behavior does not help.The vast majority of fans were great but there are always a few knuckleheads.

Posted via Mobile Device
53 Likes: 64chevy, Al Pierce, badgerfan, bigq11, Bostonian, bowbuild, BrandonT30, BrentTFunk, captrat, chasinracin2, Danny Burton, davidm, dirt330, dirtfan98, dirtnonwingfan, DunaganRacing, erich45, ffrid, fish, FishBurger, Flatrightrear, gearguy, Indy1808, interpreter66, ISF, JackSam40, jim goerge, Jrp4554, jsfan, Kingz, LUCKYONE, miwingless, mr nobody, Mud Packer, Obie, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, racerfanx2, racing2bwithu2, RadRacer, rataz, RedRacer07, retired14, ronmil, ryan84, speed bump, spicoli, Steve 'O', team3521, The Old Coyote, Ty, Will Shunk, Xflagman
Tim Clauson (Offline)
  #2 8/25/13 2:02 PM
Courtesy used to be common ....

Posted via Mobile Device

W.W.B.K.D. ?
15 Likes: BrandonT30, BrentTFunk, burndown, DaveP63, FishBurger, Indy1808, interpreter66, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, miwingless, Mud Packer, Pat O'Connor Fan, PJ Wright, racefan20, team3521
Jonr (Offline)
  #3 8/25/13 2:49 PM
IMO every track should have a family section. It definitely makes it easier to avoid the drunks if you don't have to sit next to one.
16 Likes: Charles Nungester, cjaxx1987, DunaganRacing, griffithracing, Indy1808, jim goerge, koolaid89, miwingless, Pat O'Connor Fan, PIT CART, PJ Wright, speed bump, SPRINTCAR, team3521, Ty, Xflagman
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #4 8/25/13 4:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55:
The last couple of nights at Smackdown I witnessed some unfortunate behavior which we could have done without. Everyone has a right to have a great time at the track and while I choose not to drink I know there are some who do, that is OK. Where it crosses the line is when it negatively impacts others. Friday night some kids who looked to be about 15 were sneaking a beer and then spilled it on my daughter, appreciate the adults who provided that to them. Later, the guy in front of us was so drunk he nearly passed out, I thought for sure he was going to Ralph all over everyone, fortunately he did not. Last night guys were yelling F-bombs with young children around, great atmosphere for a family, not. Finally, during the thunder car feature a guy politely asked another guy to sit down so he could see. The response he received was to be ridiculed for wanting to watch the Thunder cars.

None of this could ruin the enjoyment I had at Smackdown. I merely ask that some slip the beer goggles off for a minute and understand their surroundings. If we want more people to attend races and expand the fan base to the next generation this type of behavior does not help.The vast majority of fans were great but there are always a few knuckleheads.

Posted via Mobile Device
I didn't realize you were sitting in my row. Or maybe, the two idiots in front of me were in addition to your wonderful crowd. It really amazes me how people show up at the race track totally trashed @ 6:00 PM three days in a row.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
3 Likes: FishBurger, Indy1808, jim goerge
speed bump (Offline)
  #5 8/25/13 5:44 PM
Merritt Speedway in N.Michigan has a family section and I was there last Sat . and in that section and seen the Security guy throw three people out of the track that were drinking in that section .....the people there gave the Security guy a standing ovation .......
10 Likes: davidm, dirt330, ISF, jim goerge, Jonr, miwingless, Mud Packer, PJ Wright, ronmil, Ty
Pat O'Connor Fan (Offline)
  #6 8/25/13 8:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tumey's 55:
If we want more people to attend races and expand the fan base to the next generation this type of behavior does not help.
Posted via Mobile Device
I certainly agree, but it seems to be an unfortunate fact about our modern "me, me, me" society that more and more of the miscreants do not care that their boorish activities, including use of particularly vulgar profanity, is offensive and/or disgusting to those who witness it.
4 Likes: CRA91, Indy1808, jim goerge, Mud Packer
Kingz (Offline)
  #7 8/25/13 8:28 PM
Thank you for your post...we thought we were the only ones who felt this way!! And - based on the Kokomo track announcer's constant promotion of the after race parties - we feel like the non-rowdy fan is no longer valued at the races. We have not attended a race at Gas City for 2 years because of drunks without respect for those around them. We no longer bring our camper to Kokomo because of some of these same people. Tracks say that they want the young fans to come to the tracks - but many times the stands and camping areas are not suitable for children. We do drink beer - but with respect for ourselves and for those around us. We are the fans that eat and drink at the local restaurants and visit the local attractions. But we are also the fans that frequently cannot enjoy the races because of the actions of a growing group of disrespectful fans...a group that appears to have full support from track promoters and staff as well as local law enforcement. This year we were fortunate to be surrounded by a great group of race fans - but we wonder who will occupy the seats next year...
7 Likes: FishBurger, GregD, Indy1808, interpreter66, Pat O'Connor Fan, retired14, weirracing
Mudclodbob (Offline)
  #8 8/25/13 8:53 PM
I would never take a newcomer there. It would be an embarrassment. The track and racing were great but the profanity screamed in our ears all night on top of the beer being spilled on me came close to spoiling an otherwise awesome weekend.
walkez (Offline)
  #9 8/25/13 8:59 PM
I don't care if you drink or don't but seems to become a issue at any multi day event anymore. Noticed after the B and anytime sprints were not on track seemed like a ton of folks headed back to the camping/parking to get a few drinks in.
versailles (Offline)
  #10 8/25/13 9:11 PM
I was amazed at the rude fans reserving parking places with lawn chairs, ropes and tape. I counted over 25 spaces protected that way. Track personnel said they would gather up this stuff at the next big event. I understand reserving seats with blankets, but get angry when few parking spots are available 3 hours before the races and junk prevents fans from parking.
5 Likes: FishBurger, Indy1808, Pat O'Connor Fan, retired14, walkez