IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty
11/6/08, 4:24 PM   #31
Re: mini sprint safty
nonwing

I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers, but there has been a lot of talk on here about safety and I'm all for trying to keep the driver safe if it's possible. But the reality of sprints, midgets, mini sprints, any open wheel car is this.. if you want to race, it is not if you get hurt, it is when. If you choose to go fast and hussel a race car to try and win, eventually it will bite you. You have to find the limits, take chances and by doing so, you either make the pass or these open wheel cars will hurt you.

You tell me, if not almost of all the drivers you root for, that have raced for 10 years or so, win and run in the top 5, 15 or 20, have not spent some sheet time in the crash house. (Hospital) It is a part of our sport. I remember hearing a story that Mario Andretti was complaining when they put roll cages on the cars... I believe he said something like.. "Man don't put a roll cage on these things, now everyone will think they are brave enough to do it." Somebody else will find the real quote, but I don't think I'm too far off.

I do in fact, hate to hear about young drivers and the recent number of head injuries. But I also miss watching Robbie Stanley and Rich Vogler, Pepi Marchese running his own #5, Mack McCullen(sp) who got hurt at IRP, my list could go on and on of names of guys who I raced with who are no longer here, can't think clearly, see clearly, walk without a limp, etc.

But the fact remains, if you want to race - GO FOR IT! However, if you are worried about getting hurt, then read a book and watch NASCAR on TV.

George Wilkins

11/6/08, 6:43 PM   #32
speed9

:checkered:Hi my son has raced Quarter midgets, Mini Sprints, midgets,sprinters and Silver Crown. He has managed to get all of them upside down except for silver crown, so far. All are dangerous and if you run up front, and drive hard you will have a accident. Speed is the thing I worried about if you get a quarter midget on a 1/4 mile thats fast and not what they were made for. Midgets on a 3/4 or mile your pushing it, that thing of speed, weight, mass is right on. If you keep your race car on tracks that they were designed for you are better off.
Racing is dangerous and its like shooting a arrow out of a bow, if you have feathers on the arrow you pretty much know where it is going, some of the younger drivers that dont back off and have no fear becase they have unlimited money, are like arrows without feathers they are fast but were not sure where they are going to end up. Mini Sprints were the cheapest racing we ever done and lots of fun. Race close to home and have fun, get a hans device for your driver and a known chassie for your series.

10/27/09, 6:37 PM   #33
DAD

What the sprint guy was talking about probably was that on a track 3/8 or smaller the minisprints usually are about 1 to 2 seconds faster per lap than a regular old 410 non wing car. Clock them some times that is scarry! That being said a minisprint is just a midget frame with chain drive m/c motor. Wev'e raced them for about 15 years or so. I call the wing my $500.00 crush proof box. when you flip that big old wings take a whole lot of energy out it, much better than non wing, that chrome moly bounces like a ball.
Last edited by DAD; 10/27/09 at 7:19 PM.

10/27/09, 7:21 PM   #34
tqracer65

I think with a HANS you definately are better off with a full containment or nets on both sides. I ran a simpson dcell for a few years and ran a hans for the first time this past season. We only have a headrest on the right side and the nets are not really tight on my head on the left side. I noticed a lot of head movement side to side with the hans that I did not have with the dcell. I was talking with a rep from ISP seats at bristol and they make a net with padding made onto it for open wheel cars for easier entering and exiting of the car. You definately should get one of the head and neck restraints just like you said you cant put a price on life.

Racing is dangerous thats just how it is. Rolling out of bed and going to work everyday is dangerous to but nobody talks about that. Its a choice to accept that danger or not. It sure is a good time though.

10/28/09, 9:56 AM   #35
safer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by konger10 View Post
Thanksfor replying. What is your guys opinion in full containment seats lajoy kirkey ultrashield is there a big difference the lajoy is alot more money and seems like it would add alittle more support overall. What is the best head and neck restraint money is know option when it comes to my brothers safety. if we make the jump I just wont to give him the safest car possible. Any help or advise would be great Thanks Again Mark

The Kirkey and Ultra sheild are a great starting point for containment seats. However, they are not strong enough to help you through the big wrecks. This is where many racers go wrong. Those seats have no development time in the test lab or in through the appropriate certifications. The LaJoie, ISP are seat manufacturers that do this. The money will be well spent and last for years. I'm sure someone will jump on here wondering how I can prove this. So let me take care of that.

The new SFI spec for aluminum seats is the seat is not allowed more than 1/4 inch and has to return .300 with 4000lbs of load on hip, 3000lb on shoulder and 2000lbs on the head.

I hope this helps.

10/28/09, 10:38 AM   #36
slide22

Quote:
Originally Posted by safer1 View Post
The Kirkey and Ultra sheild are a great starting point for containment seats. However, they are not strong enough to help you through the big wrecks. This is where many racers go wrong. Those seats have no development time in the test lab or in through the appropriate certifications. The LaJoie, ISP are seat manufacturers that do this. The money will be well spent and last for years. I'm sure someone will jump on here wondering how I can prove this. So let me take care of that.

The new SFI spec for aluminum seats is the seat is not allowed more than 1/4 inch and has to return .300 with 4000lbs of load on hip, 3000lb on shoulder and 2000lbs on the head.

I hope this helps.
I'm not so sure about that... I've had my Ultrashield seat for 3 seasons now, and had 2 pretty horrific crashes.. other than being sore, I haven't had any problems with it. Any containment seat is better than none though..

10/28/09, 12:41 PM   #37
ThrottleHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by safer1 View Post

I hope this helps.
Joss Moffatt had a couple big wrecks this year and he uses the LaJoie seat. He is sold on the safety of it. Yea its expensive but what cost do you put on your safety?
Posted via Mobile Device

10/28/09, 10:37 PM   #38
STIDA.com

Race Count This Year: 9

www.stida.com

if you have any questions on safety please do not hesitate to contact me. Will do my best to steer you in the right direction.
Last edited by STIDA.com; 10/28/09 at 10:37 PM. Reason: /\

10/28/09, 11:50 PM   #39
Jus Roach

There are a few words being tossed around here that can be left up to interpretation.
Fast- All cars can be fast in their respective worlds.
Safety- Is a goal most try to achieve and is not obtained thru a single factor.

Quarter midgets were not designed to have 200cc+ engines running on 1/4 mile tracks and being driven by an 8 year old, but I have seen it.
Micro sprints are not intended to race on 3/8 asphalt surface / concrete wall tracks at over 80mph
Mini sprints (or any cage/chassis) made by someone's brother-in-law using undersized tubing and only fair welding skills should be disallowed before they ever hit the track.

As for personal safety, err to the side of caution is the sensible answer. Being a car owner, I live by the belief: "I can replace any nut on my car but the one that straps into the seat." I have spent money that would have made my car faster or handle better and ended up spending the money on the "safety upgrade"
Yea, I believe in quality personal gear, restraints, seat, etc. but as stated in an earlier post If you do not have proper safety precautions in place at the facility, you are essentially on your own in the event of a incident. A qualified safety team is priceless.

The bottom line: Invest in quality, do your homework, don't forget to use BOTH heads, don't forget to have fun.

$.02

J.R.
Last edited by Jus Roach; 10/28/09 at 11:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: Lucky161
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > mini sprint safty