IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #11 5/29/11 4:37 PM
Originally Posted by sprinter25:
Didn't maintain yellow flag speed, so they got passed under the yellow; it's not Weldon's fault that Hildebrand failed to maintain his pace after the yellow flew.
He very much DID cross the finish line faster than minimum speed. He hit the turn one wall at a decent speed and stopped later on down in the grass. Plus, you must maintain minimum speed behind the pace car, which obviously had not picked up the leader yet.

On the other hand, does the "cause of the yellow" immediately become irrelevent to the rules since it's disabled? Interesting situation.

On one hand, the car was running, moving, yellow out (field frozen, no passing) and crossed the line. (having been illegally passed under yellow?)
On the other hand, it was the "cause of the yellow". That reason alone will determine the winner. I see an argument on both sides of the fence....glad I'm not an official!

David.
  #12 5/29/11 5:00 PM
He won the race! J r!
Ovalmeister (Offline)
  #13 5/29/11 5:03 PM
Originally Posted by Seadog:
If this pic is real, Panther has no case.

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/sho...=1#post2658618

The tale of the tape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZc_u...embedded#at=39

You're right Gregg, no chance of an appeal after rewatching the video.
Two things.

1.) Wheldon passed while the green was still on.
2.) Wheldon passed under the checkered flag only, the yellow flag was waved AFTER he crossed the line.

Poor Hildebrand, this will haunt him for a long time. Great drive he did though, and Wheldon.

David.
Vukie (Offline)
  #14 5/29/11 5:08 PM
"Brian Barnhart explained to us that because JR was a wounded car on the last lap, he was fair game," said Barnes. "I'm fine with that. It's a classy decision and we're not going to protest."
Panther Racing team owner John Barnes

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...o-the-indy-500
2 Likes: Ovalmeister
Avon Open Wheel fan (Offline)
  #15 5/29/11 5:10 PM
The video is very cut and dry. But I guess the question will also come up on why the flagman waited so long to throw the yellow. Then there is also the light that comes on in the car when the yellow comes out. Maybe they will have some video showing if the light was on in the car when he passed. I doubt this will be over real soon.
CTtoPA (Offline)
  #16 5/29/11 5:11 PM
JR shouldn't be rewarded for stepping on his d!ck. However, did Rich Vogler not win his last race even though he was the reason for the red?
Posted using Mobile Device
nowingsjeff (Offline)
  #17 5/29/11 5:31 PM
The year Helio won over Paul, they IRL officals said the yellow came out the instant the car crashed and the field was frozen, even though the actual yellow light didn't come on for serveral seconds later and after Paul pasted Helio.

Why is there always conflicting actions by the IRL?
2 Likes: Need For Speed, SUPERDUKE
Vukie (Offline)
  #18 5/29/11 6:45 PM
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff:
The year Helio won over Paul, they IRL officals said the yellow came out the instant the car crashed and the field was frozen, even though the actual yellow light didn't come on for serveral seconds later and after Paul pasted Helio.

Can't compare the two, the leader of the race caused this caution. Every time there is a caution for a wreck, other cars behind the crashed car pass that car with no penalty.

"PantherRacing Panther Racing
Panther Racing has not, nor will it, protest the finish of the Indianapolis 500."
  #19 5/29/11 7:09 PM
I totally missed the race but damn what a finish! You can clearly see that Wheldon was past Hildebrand when the yellow light came on but IMO when it's coming down to the checkered the caution light should be out of the equation. Race back to the line, first one there wins.
REH24 (Offline)
  #20 5/29/11 7:15 PM
Originally Posted by nowingsjeff:

Memory serves me right they weren't coming down for the checker flag on the last lap like today.

REH