IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Will a full Containment seat help prevent bodily injuries?
YES a FC seat will help prevent bodily injuries 63 94.03%
NO a FC seat will not help prevent bodily injuries 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate
7/8/13, 5:05 AM   #31
Re: Full Containment Seat Mandate
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Not everyone wants to live to a ripe old age.... let them choose what they want to run. If they want to use a 5 gallon bucket and bailing twine.. go for it.
There's an old story of a guy in the 60s at a track where I grew up that used a dog chain for a seat belt in the coupes. He was killed when the dog chain broke.

2 members like this post: CRA91, racephoto1
7/8/13, 5:11 AM   #32
JEFFSTOY

sorry.... but does any1 now if the sprint car frames of josh and jason were the same NOT TRYING CAUSE **** BUT ***

7/8/13, 5:56 AM   #33
Todd Kimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Amen, Chris! Why wouldn't a Sprint Car or Midget driver take advantage of every safety item out there!? Why would you modify something that Brian Butler designed a certain way for your safety? I personally think a Hybrid Pro or a R3 Head and neck restraint is much safer than a Hans for sprint car racing. JMO

Posted via Mobile
Device
He didn't alter anything on that seat. He had a sprint advantage full containment and didn't like it so he put in a standard seat with bolt on head rests and shoulder supports. Those do not come standard with left side head rests. He put one on and then took it off. He didn't like the big seat. But he did NOT alter the seat. Look at a standard seat and a sprint advantage seat. You can see the difference in the pics. Lets quit accusing Jason of altering things. He took his full containment seat out because he didn't like the lack of visiont. But full containment or standard seat Jeannie and Brian have the safest seats around and I trust their equipment with my life. This was a freak accident. As far as Josh he had a full containment seat...a lajoie i do believe.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by Todd Kimmel; 7/8/13 at 1:32 PM.

2 members like this post: CRA91, fish
7/8/13, 8:08 AM   #34
racephoto1

It wouldn't have made a bit of difference in Josh's case. Where he was injured, on the top of his head, there is no coverage.If it could go wrong, unfortunately for Josh it did.He also was running a full containment seat.

As for Spi-nex, great attitude except you left out the part where you DON"T get killed. Someone will sure like wiping your a$$ for the rest of your life because you can't. The only way that attitude works is if your an orphan, because if your not someone in your family is going to have to take care of you. To make someone suffer through your attitude just isn't right.

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
7/8/13, 11:07 AM   #35
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Kimmel View Post
He didn't alter anything on that seat. He had a sprint advantage full containment and didn't like it so he put in a standard seat with bolt on head rests and shoulder supports. Those do not come standard with left side head rests. He put one on and then took it off. He didn't like the big seat. But he did NOT alter the seat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Todd everything you say here is CORRECT. I would like to ad however is he did not reinstall the the lift side net that was in that car...it is to my understanding that this was the backup car with the seat already in and he did not take the time to remount his FC seat. and did not like the bolt in head rest.........

Racephoto 1...QUOTE: Jason wasn't killed because he didn't have a containment seat. He was killed due to a mechanic's failure, either through leaving something loose on the car,, or lack of proper maintenance.Some people may be offended with this statement, but I'm old school.Something falls of the car and kills the driver, it's the mechanics fault.When I worked on race cars, nothing fell off one of mine. As for whether or not a containment seat would have protected him after the failure, I'd say yes, but there are no guarantees, though it would have increased his odds of survival.

Did the part just loosen up after several laps like hot laps /qualifying/6 laps in the heat or did the pressure from the weight of the car along with down force cause the splines to strip? one thing is for sure Jason's death was caused from BLUNT FORCE TRAUMA to his neck on the left side. The same side that the headrest was removed and no head net was installed. these are the facts

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/8/13, 11:26 AM   #36
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
You didn't go quite far enough with the rap around seat rule. To make the racer even safer (just like NASCAR) rear view mirrors and spotters with radios in the stands should also be mandated to help with the loss of peripheral vision caused by the seats.

Honest Dad himself
Dad how many things have you had to buy in your muffler shop to make it safer? When installing these things did any mechanic bit-ch? Did you Bit-ch when OSHA comes in and inspects your place of business and seen you where up to code and did not get fined? These new seats take away very little peripheral vision and are much safer.

you kinda sound like the Indy racers did back in '65 when NOMEX was mandated for the 500 racers...2/3rds of them wearing the "COTTON" suits that cost $18.00 did not want to spend $79.00 for a nomex suit so Andy Granatelli bought everyone a suit as long as they put STP on the suit.

look how long it took Smoke to "WARM" up to the Hans device....just don't understand why a racer NEEDS TO BE MADE to do something when it come to safety. I'm as OLD SCHOOL as they get specially with sprint and midget racing but I was in the 8th grade 8 times along with staying at a Holiday Inn once, so I am open minded enough to allow change to take it course....

Dad you would know more about the NASCRAP then me....They don't race on DIRT!!!!

As always THANKS FOR YOUR INCITE DAD!!!!

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/8/13, 11:45 AM   #37
JoshCunningham

Arin did have a Lajoie containment seat at the burg.

Posted via Mobile Device

1 member likes this post: Motormasher
7/8/13, 1:39 PM   #38
cmiracingvids

I was at Kokomo last night and I think every car in the feature either had a full containment seat or a standard seat with bolt on head guards and head nets. 20 drivers can't be wrong. I myself dont find a FC seat restricting in any way, and I actually love the support it has on my head on the right side. I run an ultra shield FC seat with a head net on the right side.

Posted via Mobile Device

7/8/13, 1:58 PM   #39
JDFAST

It's not a right to race, but a privilege. If a sanctioning body wants to improve/implement better safety equipment, its their choice, just as it is a choice if a racer wants to run that organization. Racing, especially sprint cars is dangerous. No piece of safety equipment will save every life and in some rare instances could makes things worse, but that is the exception. I think most people would not drive a street car without seat belts anymore, but a rare individual may think seat belts are dangerous "just in case a car crashes into a lake and the driver can not get out, but i think most people would think in the majority of instances having seat belts is better. With containment seats, to be honest I do not have enough knowledge on the subject to give or make an opinion. I would let the smarter guys in room, help guide the discussion, let the science decide what is better. I think driving almost any race car without a head restraint system is asinine. If containment seats are deemed much safer, they should be mandatory (especially since their cost is now reasonable). Parts break in race cars, but when you crash, I would think most reasonable people would want the best possible safety equipment to reduce injury or even death. I'm sure the first time a driver put on a helmet, than with a hans, a fire suit, gloves, really tight seat belts it did not feel right or even comfortable. Once drivers become accustomed to better safety gear, it becomes comfortable in time.

PS Does Tony Stewart wear a head restraint system when he races sprint cars or dirt late models? I'm probably wrong, but I thought I saw picture of him not wearing a hans.

7/8/13, 2:10 PM   #40
hungthrottlepodcast

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 20

Just remember, safety issues do not only effect the drivers, but also their family members as well as the racing fans in the stands.

From a fans perspective I NEVER want to see anybody injured or killed at a race I'm attending. In the thousands of races I've been to over my life it's only happened twice, and for me that's twice too many. It happened at Sun Prairie one night, and I know for a fact that several fans in the stands have never returned to that facility.

If it makes the drivers safer, then I'm all for it and would hope the sanctioning bodies make it a rule.

An earlier poster brought up a great point, I'd love to see tracks do a better job of making their facilities safer. I hate looking at a track and seeing unprotected ends of walls or unprotected things in the infield. As an example, attending the Silver Crown race at the Indiana State Fairgrounds had me aghast at the safety conditions along the front stretch.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Full Containment Seat Mandate