IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints
2/20/15, 9:39 PM   #11
Racer17k

U guys have have 1500 to win every weekend? That would be a crash fest around here lol

2/21/15, 4:36 PM   #12
Bear10

Stupid. This is not a post to talk about price of cars it's a post to bash mini sprint racing and abviously you are a 305 fan which I guarantee you to win at that level you better have 20-30000 in your car or your going to be running in the middle to back. If you can't afford to race don't race. There is no such thing as an affordable race car. It's all expensive in the grand sscheme of things... chassis builders don't make hardly anything and the reason costs go up is because of the cost of building those parts go up...employee costs , metal, aluminum all thathat has rose over the past 10 years. . As far as the southern ohio group. Good luck .. stupid gas rule will kill your club... 90% of cars run on alcohol. Bradley is doing a good job with midwest and that's the future of our sport !

2/22/15, 12:37 AM   #13
Re: Price of mini sprints
aussie_rob

no the austrailian title only happens once a season. most weekends its about $300 to win

2/22/15, 12:48 AM   #14
aussie_rob

the thing that's killing it in Australia is the guys with a big budget who will spend stupid amounts of money on their cars. a few guys have spent that much they could of bought a really good midget or sprintcar. some have tried stepping up to higher divisions and went from being front runners in lightning sprints to back runners in midgets or sprintcars and didn't like finishing down the back so went back to easy winning with lightning sprints.

2/22/15, 4:43 PM   #15
Racer17k

Im in the process of getting a upright I honestly think there cheaper then go karts if you dont put one on its top... I use to race go karts in early 2000's. The flatheads cost about as much as a 1000cc engine and you need to pack valves every 3 races max to get the right float out of the valves ($60) a pop... pay out $90 to win for 30 some karts in class... crazy!... Wka rules has killed that whole deal, then people went to clones to cut cost but now wka got there fingers in it now you cant get anything out of a go kart at least around here anymore.. Problem is you have to draw the line somewhere to get the little guy in I like the idea of gas not only does it cut down on up front cost but the headache of flushing the lines every race... yea helps with heat but i hear about people building up engines to get the edge at least in the AMSA and feel its going to turn out like the wka keep them stock and stop making it harder on the little guy. they need a national organization for rules so if people from Indiana or where ever they race other uprights can race in other states and don't have to change anything.. they need to tech more at tracks or a buy program which would i feel put a stop to it..
Last edited by Racer17k; 2/22/15 at 5:14 PM.

2/22/15, 5:08 PM   #16
Jim Gardner

My old engine on gas wouldn't run below 230. My new engine on alky wont run above 180. You don't need to be a rocket surgeon to figure out which one your gonna get more out of. Not bad for a few hundred bucks of injectors and a fuel management program. Nothing needs to be done inside the engine. You can have aftermarket bolt ons and stock internals and tech pretty easily (right DAD?)

If you don't have the time to clean out your fuel lines you shouldn't be racing cars. What other basic maintenance are you overlooking? These things are fast and dangerous so if you aren't fully dedicated to it then don't put it out there with people that are. That's putting your driver and the other drivers in a bad position.

Are costs out of control? Not compared to three years ago with open engine rules. Are they higher than they need to be? Probably. Are the cars still the best bang for the buck in dirt racing? Definitely.

2/22/15, 5:27 PM   #17
Racer17k

i understand what your saying i just been researching the guhl injection is over couple hundred and seeing all these different series popping up with different rules its hard to be flexible. I think it would be nice if everyone was on the same page to keep the cost down.

2/22/15, 9:07 PM   #18
the visitor

I'm sure there will be some debate on this subject for a good while but a couple of points to make here .
Racing is Dangerous!!!!!!
Racing is Expensive !!!!!!
Not to be mean .....But if you don't have enough to do it in a safe manner ,Get Out , I see to many out there running junk and crying about how much it cost.
Saftey gear is a big one for us , I see guy's with holes in gloves and uniforms , old helmets with large chips out of them .
That's bad ......Buy the best you can afford , but you still need to upgrade from time to time .
As far as Gasoline vs Methanol....no brainer ....yes it cost , but it's the best option ...
This isn't little league .......It's racing and if it was cheap everyone would be doing it ......now suck it up and go get that second mortgage !!!!!!

2/22/15, 11:16 PM   #19
Bear10

Well said

2/22/15, 11:32 PM   #20
Racer17k

Im not about cutting corners on thing specially on safety.. the thing that im talking about is the flexablity of the sport it drives cost when u have to have 2 motors switching back and fourth if one series/track runs alcohol and another only runs gas and one lets u do head work and the other has to be all stock. For example at waynesfield u can build engines up which u will have to probably to be competitive since its a pretty big track but then if I want to run southern ohio lightning ill have to get another engine to race with them and switch to gas so now im maintaining 2 engines switching computers flushing system see what I mean? Like wka u bought a flathead have it sent out have over 1000 in it when ur done if they just had a tag program switch to alcohol it would be so much cheaper for people. Same with minis if they had a tag deal or buy program and alcohol/gas whatever they came up with everyone be on same page then and wont have to have all these rules and can run anywhere.. wka was nice for that, engines just were so much for what they pay out. Killed it
Last edited by Racer17k; 2/23/15 at 12:04 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Mini-Sprint Classifieds > Price of mini sprints