IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sterling Cling?
11/8/19, 5:08 PM   #11
zerospeed

It wasn’t pretty but it didn’t look like that horrible of an indiscretion after watching the video. It looked like he got a bad start, tried to make up for it... and probably didn’t see him up there. Most people may assume there was a car up there but I’m sure he didn’t think he was about to wholesale dump someone as well as himself. It was a pretty bad but it seems like everyone jumped on the bandwagon on him... I’ve seen plenty just as bad as this that never get this much attention.
Last edited by zerospeed; 11/9/19 at 2:58 AM.

2 members like this post: jdull99, TBONE
11/8/19, 5:57 PM   #12
Re: Sterling Cling?
chathamracefan

It was in a heat race. Heat 5 I think. Right on the start.

1 member likes this post: Hubie
11/8/19, 6:17 PM   #13
RichC

It was a weird deal. Initial start of Heat 5. JMac got an early jump from the outside, Cling from the pole didn't go so the flagman was indicating no start (held out green but not waving). Cling came from way behind and got into JMac going into T1 with both flipping and writing off both cars. I couldn't see clearly so I really am not sure how or why they got into each other.

11/8/19, 6:28 PM   #14
BURG FAN 88

Cling just plain F Ed up big time. My thought originally was did his throttle stick. But after watching that replay again it’s so clear it was very poor driving on his part.

4 members like this post: erich45, Hubie, luckybuc97, oppweld
11/9/19, 12:27 AM   #15
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Think Cling was using the same brakes that Windom uses.

I uploaded the video I took from the TV
https://youtu.be/cp7AOBr8Sms
Last edited by Chief Wahoo; 11/9/19 at 12:32 AM.

4 members like this post: jim goerge, mc/rider, tirespinner, TNRustler
11/9/19, 11:15 AM   #16
Tqcrazy

Because the brakes on a sprint car the first lap of the heat race are the same as a silver crown car the last lap of the feature..🙄🙄🙄

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
11/10/19, 12:28 AM   #17
kendirt

Just guessing from the video, Cling was the only guy who didn't realize it was a no start.

4 members like this post: AustinSprinter, duel, flagboy55, tirespinner
11/10/19, 2:50 AM   #18
duel

I think usac needs to change the way the don't like the start of a race other than just holding a green flag still waiting for them to see yellow lights on the back chute. I do think some drivers don't see them not waving the green. Hold the yellow in front of the green until you like the start. An old practice. Use two hands. Start them close to the starter not coming out of the turn. Over the years I have seen many a bad crash because of this practice. Or show them the yellow light in one if the start isn't to the starter's liking. I know, old school thinking

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Speedwrench, tirespinner
11/10/19, 3:07 AM   #19
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
I think usac needs to change the way the don't like the start of a race other than just holding a green flag still waiting for them to see yellow lights on the back chute. I do think some drivers don't see them not waving the green. Hold the yellow in front of the green until you like the start. An old practice. Use two hands. Start them close to the starter not coming out of the turn. Over the years I have seen many a bad crash because of this practice. Or show them the yellow light in one if the start isn't to the starter's liking. I know, old school thinking
In addition to the flag and the lights, all drivers have a raceceiver in their ear in which the race director speaks through to tell them when a yellow or red flag occurs or where to line up. The command for a yellow on an aborted start is given by the time the drivers reach turn 1 where they are told to spread out and to roll out of the throttle after exiting turn two.

11/12/19, 1:12 PM   #20
jim goerge

Back in the 70s that move would have gotten his ass knocked in the dirt. Could you imagine if in place of that being Jmac it was Bob Kinser, I"m pretty sure the cigar would have dropped lol. Some people are saying he didn"t see Jmac up on the outside, How could he not see him he (Cling) was behind at the start, you always know somebody will be on the outside on the start, a black eye might do wonders for that kid

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sterling Cling?