IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
1/4/18, 3:25 PM   #1
USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

USAC had a meeting with USAC car owners and no one else was told about it. What do you think? I am open to convincing arguments, but price cannot be one of them. The shock is the most expensive part, and it is still adjustable, just not cockpit adjustable.
My thought is that the guy who hits the setup from lap one will win the race. In the past, especially under a yellow, a driver could help the car and them make a race out of it. I feel as though it will hurt the entertainment that racing provides.

1/4/18, 3:54 PM   #2
Z-man

I think they should leave the adjusters in the cockpit, just not connect them to anything.

1/4/18, 4:36 PM   #3
Re: USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankytoo View Post
USAC had a meeting with USAC car owners and no one else was told about it. What do you think? I am open to convincing arguments, but price cannot be one of them. The shock is the most expensive part, and it is still adjustable, just not cockpit adjustable.
My thought is that the guy who hits the setup from lap one will win the race. In the past, especially under a yellow, a driver could help the car and them make a race out of it. I feel as though it will hurt the entertainment that racing provides.
Can you provide a source for this, spantytoo? I looked on the USAC website at the rule book, but it has not been updated for 2018 and was last updated ten months ago, but that doesn't mean much to the average joe fan.

If this is happening/has happened, not so much what I think about it, but what do the owners think about it - their response. Were they FOR it? Did this drive it? Seems to me if they were NOT, then USAC would be smart enough to back off on the amendment to the rules. Why anger your own club?

1/4/18, 4:44 PM   #4
Stevensville Mike

Nevermind. I found something:

USAC TECHNICAL UPDATE – TB2018-NAT001

NATIONAL SERIES
Date: JANUARY 1, 2018

ALL NATIONAL SERIES

Digital bleeders are allowed. Air may not be introduced to the tire. Bleeders may not be controlled remotely.
Full containment seats mandatory beginning May 1, 2018. Beginning in 2019 all seats must meat SFI 39.2 specifications.

Silver Crown Series
Tire options for events in 2018 remain the same as 2017

National Sprint
Suspension adjustments by the driver from the cockpit will not be permitted.
Front axle tethers will be mandatory beginning May 1, 2018.
Hoosier will make 94/14.0 available in RD12 compound.

1/4/18, 4:48 PM   #5
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post

NATIONAL SERIES

ALL NATIONAL SERIES

Digital bleeders are allowed. Air may not be introduced to the tire. Bleeders may not be controlled remotely.
Full containment seats mandatory beginning May 1, 2018. Beginning in 2019 all seats must meat SFI 39.2 specifications.

Silver Crown Series

National Sprint
Not happy about mandatory FC seats, I've seen a lot of concussion injuries caused by the drivers head getting, "ping-pong'd" between the headrests, some weren't even in wrecks, just rough track....
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/4/18 at 5:23 PM.

4 members like this post: kcarm92, LRP36, spicoli, superstock30
1/4/18, 5:21 PM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post

NATIONAL SERIES

ALL NATIONAL SERIES

Silver Crown Series

National Sprint
FYI.... I got this off of another website, not the USAC website. The USAC website has not updated their Technical Updates as of 1/4/18. Subsequently, it has not been solidly validated.

1/4/18, 5:26 PM   #7
Racer1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces&Eights View Post
Not happy about mandatory FC seats, I've seen a lot of concussion injuries caused by the drivers head getting, "ping-pong'd" between the headrests, some weren't even in wrecks, just rough track....
That's better than bouncing your head off the wall. But hey, that's just my opinion!

1/4/18, 5:34 PM   #8
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer1039 View Post
That's better than bouncing your head off the wall. But hey, that's just my opinion!
I guess if the only 2 choices are a concussion from my seat without a crash or you hitting your head on the wall, then it makes perfect sense. Except there are other ways to do it that don't cause unnecessary harm, but thats a fact, not just my opinion! Concussions are no joke, lots of careers cut short by them. FC is NOT the end-all, be-all that some think they are. I'd be more worried about cockpit incursion than my head hitting the wall.

1 member likes this post: LRP36
1/4/18, 6:24 PM   #9
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

https://www.facebook.com/usacracing/...579718/?type=3

1/4/18, 6:28 PM   #10
Rpracing1

In depth discussion of this subject on Facebook Pages of Lance Jennings, jj Hughes, Kevin Montgomery.

Input from Spridge.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC outlaw all cockpit adjusters