IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske
11/6/19, 10:57 PM   #51
Re: IMS Sold to Penske
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
I liked the IRL deal. Grass roots racers had a chance at The 500. That is what American TV viewers wanted and still want to see....Grass roots racers in the Big One, The 500. Not Penelope Pitstop with the checkbook. I like Roger but I wish he would have tried to get some American short track racers into a development program for indy cars, its not like he didn't have the cash, and it would have paid off in bigger dividends just through the fan base that would have been created.
I like The 500 , but that's the only Indy car race that I'll watch.
Now I'm waiting for that brickyard dude to come on here and tell me that I'm not a real American because I don't like progress.
Sorry (not really) for the rant

I loved the IRL back in the early days for all the reasons you mentioned, but in hindsight it was a huge mistake!
You should do yourself a favor and watch more IndyCar races, they are usually the best race of the weekend...

3 members like this post: dirtbag, superstock30, wright59
11/6/19, 11:14 PM   #52
jonboat15

Thanks for the advice but I'd rather watch my short tracks on the weekends. I like Indy cars at Indy not many other places.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/7/19, 5:52 PM   #53
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I haven't commented on this thread yet because I guess I have been recovering from the surprise of the initial announcement.
Having attended every 500 since 1965 (55 consecutive) and with the goal of at least 20 more (which will put me at age 100), I feel that Roger Penske is best suited of all potential owners to preserve and carry on the traditions of the Speedway and begin new ones.
The 500 has changed much since 1965, but it is still the greatest race in the world. The drivers come from different backgrounds than they did in past decades, but the racing is the best it has ever been. I think Mr. Penske is the best bet to return Formula One to IMS also, and it would be so cool to see a 24-hour race at Indy as well.
I have attended every Brickyard 400 as well but decided to not renew for next year. This year's race wasn't that bad, but my interest has dwindled.
Here's hoping the next 100 years ago are as exciting as the last at Indianapolis!

11/7/19, 8:25 PM   #54
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I haven't commented on this thread yet because I guess I have been recovering from the surprise of the initial announcement.
Having attended every 500 since 1965 (55 consecutive) and with the goal of at least 20 more (which will put me at age 100), I feel that Roger Penske is best suited of all potential owners to preserve and carry on the traditions of the Speedway and begin new ones.
The 500 has changed much since 1965, but it is still the greatest race in the world. The drivers come from different backgrounds than they did in past decades, but the racing is the best it has ever been. I think Mr. Penske is the best bet to return Formula One to IMS also, and it would be so cool to see a 24-hour race at Indy as well.
I have attended every Brickyard 400 as well but decided to not renew for next year. This year's race wasn't that bad, but my interest has dwindled.
Here's hoping the next 100 years ago are as exciting as the last at Indianapolis!
Amen to that.... I'd love to see a 24 Hour race there. Maybe redesign the road course a bit. That would be a good race. I would imagine some of the high profile European teams would come or try to enter as Indy has a lot of prestige and influence in different parts of the world. Maybe cap the entries at 48 or so cars it the pit lane can hold than many.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
11/7/19, 9:37 PM   #55
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Wonder about the museum, was it a part of the purchase, or a separate entity, most of the items in there are on loan, I would guess that could be another negotiable part of the purchase, but might be a little bit more complicated. There is some strange wording in some of the agreements.
Per something I read, the Museum is NOT included in the purchase of the Speedway. A statement from the museum said the museum operates as an independent entity and as a Not for Profit and will continue to do so.

1 member likes this post: chrismattlin
11/7/19, 11:07 PM   #56
Rapid Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THS View Post
Just hope he listens to the fans and we don't have "locked in spots" for full time teams. Call me old school but I want the fastest 33. We finally have a bump day again! Don't screw that up!!
He didn't listen to the fans when he fired Gary B. Pretty sure he will listen to big money on this one.

3 members like this post: duel, ISF, jim goerge
11/7/19, 11:15 PM   #57
Tumey's 55

If my great grand kids are still hearing Back Home Again it won’t likely be because of RP, unless he pulls a Methuselah.

11/10/19, 10:01 AM   #58
Brickyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
I think he means "the Split"...
I for one was all for the IRL and its supposed mission, I couldn't understand why someone like Robin Miller was so against it. But now looking back in hindsight, it was a terrible thing for our beloved top level of open wheel racing in this country. I can see now how STRONG Cart was just before the split and how even now it hasn't regained that level of following.
Exactly what I meant, it was a pyrrhic victory. While I don't hold either side totally blameless, that whole deal set off a chain of events that the series has not recovered from. We'll never know how much family money was spent in support of the IRL. His own family removed him from the CEO position in 2009. The uptick we've seen as of recent hasn't been under his direct leadership, that's been Boles, Miles, and Frye.

If 1996 doesn't happen, I don't think we are sitting here today watching IMS change hands. While the series needs the 500 and it is the big one, as Gurney eluded to, it benefits everyone if we don't treat this as one big race surrounded by a bunch of small support events. A strong series means an even stronger 500 and makes everyone money.
Last edited by Brickyard; 11/10/19 at 10:02 AM.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
11/10/19, 10:27 AM   #59
Brickyard

Quote:
I liked the IRL deal. Grass roots racers had a chance at The 500. That is what American TV viewers wanted and still want to see....Grass roots racers in the Big One, The 500. Not Penelope Pitstop with the checkbook.
Because Racin Gardner and Dr. Jack Teeth Miller were names fans could get behind.....the point is those types are going to exist regardless of who's running the show.

But back to grass roots, if anything the split made it tougher. You got what you wanted for a brief time, but it wasn't long term. With the weakening of the series financially there are less people willing to take a chance on a one off, no more older chassis and engines laying around to purchase. You hope you can get your hands on a Dallara, maybe Honda or Chevy have an open lease, and pony up at minimum a cool million for the one race.

Quote:
I like The 500 , but that's the only Indy car race that I'll watch.
Now I'm waiting for that brickyard dude to come on here and tell me that I'm not a real American because I don't like progress.
Well, it is a bit tough for me to take people seriously when they'd rather burn everything down around them just to get what they want rather than work with what they have in hopes of building something stronger with the potential to maintain or get more of what they want if the cards fall in their direction.

That whole 500 or bust, screw the rest, mentality is exactly what Gurney, Penske, and Patrick, etc. set out to end. A stronger series means an even stronger 500. But, I guess some would rather have a series no one gives a rat's rear about as long as they get 33 American heroes, over half of which the rest of world has never heard of, layin' it all out on da line for da fans(never mind that they aren't layin' out on da line for the fans as much as they are layin' out on da line for their own bank account).

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
11/12/19, 6:35 PM   #60
captrat

Brickyard, with respect: your posts would be more positively viewed if they had less of the following-

1. Condescension

2. Unneeded sarcasm

3. Derogatory labels and names

But, of course maybe you are only interested in being disruptive as opposed to constructive dialog.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > IMS Sold to Penske