IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New half-mile track for Columbus, Ohio???
5/2/08, 6:32 AM   #1
New half-mile track for Columbus, Ohio???
bigmojo5

A friend sent me this link to a Columbus television station report. Personally, I wonder if this will get anywhere because Cooper Stadium sits in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/loc...p.html?sid=102

Developer Could Turn Cooper Stadium Into Racetrack
Thursday, May 1, 2008 1:46 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The crack of the bat at Cooper Stadium may soon be replaced by the roar of automobile engines.

Franklin County officials announced plans on Thursday to sell the west side ballpark to a developer for conversion into a half-mile motorsports facility, 10TV's Andy Hirsch

More info is on the station's website, including an artist's conception.

Jim Morrison

5/2/08, 6:50 AM   #2
Re: New half-mile track for Columbus, Ohio???
smbpreformance

I saw this on the news yesterday and had some questions

1- They are going to use public funds and give tax breaks to the devolpers. This project would put Columbus Speedway, Circleville Cart Track and National Trails Dragstrip out of buisness. How would you feel if the goverment was using your money to put you out of buisness?

2- If you look at the artist drawing there is no place for pits and hardly anyplace for parking. In this neighborhood I would not want to leave my car on a random street corner then come back at 1 am and try and find it

3- The access point from the freeway is in one of the worst traffic areas of the city. If they had a big race traffic would shut down the city along with I-71 and I-70 to major cross country routes

4- Why would NASCAR give then a major race when With in 3 hours there is Brickyard, ORP, Kentucky, Michigan and Mansfield

5- The backers behind this is a group of real estate devolpers and not racers. We have a unique market and I do not see how someone not famerilar with industry would make a good promoter

6- NASCAR has said it will not sanction the weekly series at the track and would continue its long term relationship with Columbus Motor Speedway......What would they run?

5/2/08, 8:42 AM   #3
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
I saw this on the news yesterday and had some questions

1- They are going to use public funds and give tax breaks to the devolpers. This project would put Columbus Speedway, Circleville Cart Track and National Trails Dragstrip out of buisness. How would you feel if the goverment was using your money to put you out of buisness?

2- If you look at the artist drawing there is no place for pits and hardly anyplace for parking. In this neighborhood I would not want to leave my car on a random street corner then come back at 1 am and try and find it

3- The access point from the freeway is in one of the worst traffic areas of the city. If they had a big race traffic would shut down the city along with I-71 and I-70 to major cross country routes

4- Why would NASCAR give then a major race when With in 3 hours there is Brickyard, ORP, Kentucky, Michigan and Mansfield

5- The backers behind this is a group of real estate devolpers and not racers. We have a unique market and I do not see how someone not famerilar with industry would make a good promoter

6- NASCAR has said it will not sanction the weekly series at the track and would continue its long term relationship with Columbus Motor Speedway......What would they run?
Is this new proposed facility paved or dirt? If it is dirt, I don't think it would hurt business at CMS or the other speedways in the area and would explain why Nascar would not be interested in it. BTW, CMS needs to run Open Wheel again. I'll be back when it does.

5/2/08, 8:47 AM   #4
smbpreformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Is this new proposed facility paved or dirt? If it is dirt, I don't think it would hurt business at CMS or the other speedways in the area and would explain why Nascar would not be interested in it. BTW, CMS needs to run Open Wheel again. I'll be back when it does.
It will be Pavement and that are saying they want to make it a "Mini Bristol" including a drag strip and a cart track

Columbus is running a handfull of Buckeye Super Sprint shows this year. Over 24 cars were commited to the season opener at CMS with half of them there before the pits opened and the rains came forcing the cancelation of the race.

5/2/08, 9:04 AM   #5
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbpreformance View Post
It will be Pavement and that are saying they want to make it a "Mini Bristol" including a drag strip and a cart track

Columbus is running a handfull of Buckeye Super Sprint shows this year. Over 24 cars were commited to the season opener at CMS with half of them there before the pits opened and the rains came forcing the cancelation of the race.
Sean, Are these Buckeye Super Sprint shows winged 305 cars or...?

5/2/08, 9:23 AM   #6
smbpreformance

Yeah the Buckeye Super Sprints started out as the weekly 305 winged sprint show at Sandusky Speedway and in 2006 the BSS also sanctioned a race at Toledo, in 2007 the BSS added another track by sanctioning races at Lorain County. With the WSoA (the prevous 305 traveling series in Ohio) folding during the off season the tracks looked towards the BSS to fill their dates. Kevin Jaycox owner of Sandusky Speedway and President of MSA decided it was time for the BSS to stand on its own seperate from the weekly series at Sandusky. When the 2008 BSS schedule was relesed it included prevous BSS dates like Toledo, Lorain and the Hi-Miler at Sandusky along with vacated WSoA races at Columbus and Kil-Kare. Adding to these five tracks are Flat Rock and the chance to be part of the Classic at Oswego. The Oswego 305 sprint race pays $500 to start and remainder of the races pay $250 to start.

For more information see:
www.buckeyesupersprints.com

5/2/08, 1:30 PM   #7
Z-man

This is where they should have put a half mile paved oval in Ohio.http://search.winamp.com/search/imag...wn%2520stadium

5/2/08, 8:58 PM   #8
bigmojo5

Here's a link to the story in the Columbus Dispatch

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...J.html?sid=101

Jim Morrison

5/2/08, 9:29 PM   #9
smbpreformance

I drove by there today and did some measurments with my car odometer...... I think there is a problem unless they buy the rental place next door. I do not think it is big enough to build everything where they want to put everything according to the artist rendition

5/2/08, 11:25 PM   #10
bigmojo5

Unless they buy more land

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New half-mile track for Columbus, Ohio???