IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old picture thread.
12/27/08, 12:10 AM   #1
Old picture thread.
aceace

I found this on another forum, thought I would share. It was posted by "indybigjohn"
saw that he posts here. So give credit where it is due!

This photo was from the cover of a Bloomington Speedway program. Butch Wilkerson is in the Fleetwood Chevy on the inside, with Larry Miller in the 'Big Bertha' owned by Karl Kinser No. 22 in the middle, and Bobby Black in the Castor No. 51 on the outside. I remember seeing 'Big Bertha' smoke the field at the big Columbus half-mile one night, and Bobby Kinser running second in Chuck Amati's car. Chuck was having trouble with the car and put Kinser in it. Bobby came from the rear but couldn't catch Miller, and told Amati, "It feels all right to me."

I am going to find a few more. I think my Mom has this program.
Last edited by aceace; 12/27/08 at 12:21 AM.

12/27/08, 12:18 AM   #2
Re: Old picture thread.
aceace

This photo was taken four years later at the old 25th Street Fairgrounds half-mile track in Columbus with Buzz Gregory at the wheel. The car had a 426 wedge head Mopar Ramcharger with "skeleton" heads and a Racer Brown roller cam. Jerry said it had Enderle injectors and was dry-sumped, but had the stock rods, crank, and pistons, with lots of horsepower. Credit "indybigjohn"
Last edited by aceace; 12/27/08 at 12:22 AM.

12/27/08, 12:53 AM   #3
aceace

Lots of old sprint car pictures at this link. 74 pages but only the first 18 are sprints.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/millerracers2000/

USAC 1974 Winchester, never seen this video before. Thought I would post it in case it's new to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AZrV15job4
Last edited by aceace; 12/27/08 at 1:43 AM.

12/27/08, 7:50 AM   #4
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
I found this on another forum, thought I would share. It was posted by "indybigjohn"
saw that he posts here. So give credit where it is due!

This photo was from the cover of a Bloomington Speedway program. Butch Wilkerson is in the Fleetwood Chevy on the inside, with Larry Miller in the 'Big Bertha' owned by Karl Kinser No. 22 in the middle, and Bobby Black in the Castor No. 51 on the outside. I remember seeing 'Big Bertha' smoke the field at the big Columbus half-mile one night, and Bobby Kinser running second in Chuck Amati's car. Chuck was having trouble with the car and put Kinser in it. Bobby came from the rear but couldn't catch Miller, and told Amati, "It feels all right to me."

I am going to find a few more. I think my Mom has this program.
The 22&51 car was built in Columbus at 22nd&Home Ave. In 1966/67 copies of Mutt Anderson car. I know Im right Butch Wilkerson#1:checkered::checkered:

12/27/08, 1:12 PM   #5
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch47265 View Post
The 22&51 car was built in Columbus at 22nd&Home Ave. In 1966/67 copies of Mutt Anderson car. I know Im right Butch Wilkerson#1:checkered::checkered:
I believe you... I had always thought that Karl built that car. I'll tell you a funny story about that car. One night at the 'Burg. I was about 5 yrs old. They let the fans from the stands go into the pits before the Features for a 15 minute intermission. I was standing by Bertha and Karl was changing the left rear. Some guy walks up and I was bragging about my Dad driving the car. He said something about winning a lot of races. I told him "we win a lot because we got a bigger motor than everyone else." Karl said he laughed all the way home from the 'Burg that night. I don't remember this because I was 5. Karl told me this one day when he stopped in my Dad's gas station around 1980 or so.

12/28/08, 10:17 AM   #6
JEFFSTOY

is that the same car Larry Miller drove at the weekly shows at Paragon

12/28/08, 1:16 PM   #7
aceace

Anybody notice how Butch is up on the wheel in that F-800. Seat belts loose, going for the gusto weren't ya Butch? I just noticed that.

12/28/08, 8:55 PM   #8
Brewer 14

Dad told me that Larry Miller drove some for my grandfather. He felt pretty sure Larry was driving when this happened. That is my grandfather in the background with the cap on.

J.L. Brewer

12/28/08, 9:34 PM   #9
aceace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer 14 View Post
Dad told me that Larry Miller drove some for my grandfather. He felt pretty sure Larry was driving when this happened. That is my grandfather in the background with the cap on.

J.L. Brewer
I don't remember that car but I was young when that happened. Plus I didn't get to go to all the races. That looks like the fence between the track and the pits at Paragon. My Dad told me he was pretty lucky as a driver. He flipped out of the track at Haubstadt one night, went through the pit fence at Paragon crashed into someones truck that they pulled their race car with. Who was your Grandfather?

12/28/08, 10:31 PM   #10
Brewer 14

Pete Brewer

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Old picture thread.