IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
pgray (Offline)
  #1 5/10/09 12:20 AM
Today was Pole Day at Indy but a few thousand race fans took time out for the entertainment on the Coke Zero stage in the Pagoda Plaza at 2pm.

The concert was 15 minutes late getting started as members of the group assembled on stage for headliner
George Clinton & the Parliament - Funkadelic All Stars Band.

Prior to Clinton's appearance some 30 minutes or more into the concert and as other lead singers performed ,
a band member came to the microphone and said to the crowd , " We welcome everyone to the Daytona 500 ! "

Indy obviously has a new entertainment director !

racer-x (Offline)
  #2 5/10/09 7:12 AM
Wow that is a CHANGE isnt it!!!!!
Redwood17257 (Offline)
  #3 5/10/09 7:24 AM
Wow, as a racing fan and photographer as well as someone who would relish the chance to be "beamed to the mother ship' it's sad to think that the announcer A: didn't know he introducing the "Legend of Funk", but B: didn't realise that the P-Funk cast a beautiful light on Indy, not "South Beach"!
BrentTFunk (Offline)
  #4 5/10/09 7:59 AM
I was there it was not 30 minutes into the show, it was at the very start. It was quite funny as the other members of the group gave him a hard time. In fact when the first person told him what he had mistakenly said he almost fell off his drum stool in embarassment. I want congradulate the speedway for doing more to attract people to the track. Also thanks to HARF and the track for free tickets. My wife and I had a great time.
smbpreformance (Offline)
  #5 5/10/09 9:03 AM
I did not relize he was playing until yesterday morning and by then it was to late for me to make it to Indy
Pole day and hte Godfather of Funk......what a great day.

I was working in Ann Arbor at the end of 2007 and some friends from work and I always went to a little micro brewery every monday after work. We get there and it is place is completly empty execpt for the bartender an off work employee and one other guy at the bar. In a corner booth there were two guys drinking beer. The nine of us took our usual table at the center and started telling stories and paying no attention to anyone else.
The Other guy at the bar turns around and starts yelling at one of the guys in the corner "Hey bootsie, bootsie get over here" That is when we look up and the guy at the bar is GC and the ones in the corner are Bootsie Collins and another band member. Out of the 9 of us at the table only 3 knew who GC was. He saw us look up when he yelled at Bootsie so he walked over to the table and started talking to us.....while standing behind my roommate (a long time GC fan) and hitting him in the head with his multi-colored dreads. We drank a beer and then he went to the table with Bootsie. When we left we drove around to the back parking lot and there was the tour bus. I checked the tour schedule when I got home that night and be had played Detroit the night before and had 4 days off until bhe had to be in Chicago
pgray (Offline)
  #6 5/10/09 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk:
I was there it was not 30 minutes into the show, it was at the very start.
If you're going to correct the accuracy of someone's post , you should first read that post accurately ...:34;

( Clinton's appearance came 30 minutes into the show is what was stated ; not the announcement ).

itsanonwingthing (Offline)
  #7 5/10/09 12:36 PM
The Greatest Spectacle in FUNK!!! Quite the show Saturday.
Video is about 8 min long, but it was quite the scene on the Coke Stage, if you can stand to watch it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykoa19TwCrc

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!
OU812
  #8 5/10/09 1:38 PM
WOW!
I really hate I missed that! (sarcasm alert)
*** is the Speedway thinking?
I don't have anything against George Clintons....................................music.
But do ya really think ANYBODY came to the track, just because he was there?

God I miss the "snakepit" that was REAL entertainment!

But when I do go to the track, I seriously only go to watch the cars/teams/drivers.

I just don't get it!
Guess I am just old and out of touch!
HARFprez (Offline)
  #9 5/11/09 12:26 PM
I too was on the Plaza for awhile, and enjoyed it. I don't think i have ever seen so many bodies on the Coke stage at one time before, at times i could count 20 players or singers on stage, a true spectacle. I applaude the Speedway for offering a variety of music for the fans, God Bless America that you still have the right to walk away from the plaza if you don't like the music, but from what i saw, there were more people in the plaza to see p-funk than there were in the stands, so as far as "ou812's" comment, i think the appearance of George Clinton was a huge draw. I hope the Speedway's PR dept. keeps doing such a great job in their promotions, A+ for a days entertainment at the Speedway. On another note, the "living statues" still amaze me. If you haven't seen them perform behind the Pagoda you gotta check them out. They are so great with the kids and make for great photos, another A+. bob
illinisprintfan (Offline)
  #10 5/11/09 1:05 PM
We want the funk!!! As cool as P-Funk might be, it does seem a strange place to have GC and Funkadelic perform.