IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Non Wing Sprint Race You Ever Seen
7/13/11, 3:15 PM   #1
Best Non Wing Sprint Race You Ever Seen
HoosierMikey

I think the best Non Wing Sprint i ever seen was at the Old Lawrenceburg Speedway in 1975. They had three 50 lap races with odd even qualifiers in the first two 50 lap heats with the top 10 in each going to feature. Calvin Gilstrap the oldest there beat Danny Smith the youngest driver there by inches at the checkered. Calvin was second comming out of turn 4 but out ran Danny to the checkered. Will never forget that race.

7/13/11, 3:19 PM   #2
DIRT-TRACK-JUNKIE

Hoe I haven't seen it
Posted using Mobile Device

7/13/11, 4:47 PM   #3
Re: Best Non Wing Sprint Race You Ever Seen
cecil98

New Bremen after the pavement had been dug up and returned to dirt. Can't remember the year....but Gary B, Bubby Jones and Pancho Carter ran three abreast the entire feature with Bubby running through the infield, Gary B in the middle of the track and Pancho bouncing it off of the walls..can't remember who won either but it was an incredible race......the other, was the race between Parnelli in the Fike Plumbing car and Roger McKluskey in the Konstant Hot car at Winchester in 1963. Parnelli led the entire race until about 2 or 3 to go when he made one of his rare mistakes and got her a little sideways allowing Roger to slip by coming out of turn 2 and win it.......tremendous race.....

7/13/11, 4:56 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I can't remember exactly what race it was but it was my first time to Bloomington probably 86/87? But there were fifty of each class NW sprints and LMs

Bob Kinser won but him, Ricky Hood and Randy Kinser ran three wide that entire feature on that little bullring, Staab starting 8th was bouncing their rear nerfs trying to knock someone out of the way. Clean as he was he didn't take em out and took fourth.

Kamp 2009? ISW Whitt, Boat and Darland crossed the line together and nobody knew who won till they announced Darland

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Heres the best one I seen on TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fty0w...embedded#at=65

2 members like this post: dkdorkboy, jim goerge
7/13/11, 5:10 PM   #5
ThePurple73

The Hawkeye Futurity at the Iowa State Fairgrounds. Open Cockpit, IMCA race. Jerry Blundy in the red 33 and Jim Moughan in the Hector Honore black 2... Jerry Blundy and Jim Moughan had a major battle. Moughan won at the wire.

Frost Buster at Sedalia Mo. Eddie Leavitt won over Shane Carson. Great Race. Leavitt driving the Max Rogers 49.

7/13/11, 6:05 PM   #6
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I would have to say in 1978 Rocky Fisher promoted a race at Lake City Speedway in North Florida just before the East Bay Nationals. 1st time for the sprints there and somewhere around 50-60 stars like Joe Saldana, Paul Pitzer, Tom Corbin, Toby Tobias, Doug Wolfgang, Billy Casella, Bob Kinser, Bobby Allen, Leland McSpadden, Jan Opperman, Junior Parkerson, Don Mack, Chuck Amaiti, Charlie Swartz and young guns Steve Kinser, Sammy Swindell, Shane Carson, Al Unser Jr. showed up to race....WOW what a race..Saldana beating Pitzer at the line by a half of a ft. bumper...cutting the corner of turn 4 and Sammy hitting the drain 30 ft inside the track while running 4th....and I WAS HOOKED ON NON WING SPRINT CAR RACING!!!!!!

Still to this day after a gazillon races that one is the best...thank you jesus for allowing me to see it...and at my age REMEMBER IT...LOL

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

7/13/11, 7:06 PM   #7
jim goerge

Best one for me was just a couple years ago at Haubstadt MSCS show Stanbrough and Clayton slidein each other at each turn . Clayton got away from Jon in lapped cars and won it Chuck I remember that Bloomington race too I am thinking big Bobby won it then hood and thn randy all within a couple of yards of each other

7/13/11, 8:05 PM   #8
Bad Dad 54

I believe it was a KISS Race it was at Kokomo & Brad Sweet was bangin off the walls & standin on the gas. Driving like there was no tomorrow & this car is done after this race. He wasn't the only one either, I had goose pimples on my arms I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Remember walkin out after the race telling myself - these guys are nuts.

7/13/11, 11:30 PM   #9
dant

Brad Sweet in a non wing 360 at Tulare Ca...passed 14 cars the first lap

7/14/11, 2:06 AM   #10
WRP

The best sprint car race I have ever seen to this day took place on the small track at Manzanita in 1994. As I recall, it was a 30 lap feature and the top 4 battled hard and heavy, trading slider after slider until none other than Bob Kinser hopped a wheel and rolled on lap 20, while battling for the lead. Bob climbed out, looked the car over, climbed back in, restarted from the tail and within 5 laps was back at the front battling for the win. To this day I can't remember who won(Mike Boat maybe), but I will never ever forget the race.
Last edited by WRP; 7/14/11 at 3:51 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best Non Wing Sprint Race You Ever Seen