IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bobby Allen
7/15/23, 3:12 PM   #11
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
Back in those days it was “ Run what you brung!”
It was even one of their mottos. I remember seeing seeing people with tshirts with that on them.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

2 members like this post: cowboyhar69, oldfan49
7/15/23, 9:20 PM   #12
Re: Bobby Allen
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
And Bobby Allen won the 1st WoO race at Eldora in April of 1978. Over the winter USAC and Earl got into a pissing match over how many races they would sanction at Eldora….. USAC said 6 max and Earl wanted 10. Earl being Earl said shove it …. and brought in the WoO group….. to an overflow crowd. Still remember watching Dayton TV2 Sports Director Omar Williams ( who was also the announcer at Eldora, New Bremen and Dayton when Earl owned Dayton) Monday evening sports report after the 1st WoO race at Eldora. Omar started off the sportscast with video and said “ Earl Baltes and USAC have been in a squabble about race dates…but he could probably care less after yesterday’s overflow crowd.” Running Eldora gave Ted Johnson and the WoO legitimacy and the rest is history
Thanks, Tim.

THAT is a history lesson.

7/15/23, 11:23 PM   #13
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Mid 80s to early 90s Burg went winged so I was basically following them, Made several ohio sprint week shows. All the HBO's , Kings Royals, Opening weekend at Eldora. Four races I seen where Bobby Allen stood out to me.

One was a Kings Royal that for the first half of the race, Bobby and Kinser swapped the lead a dozen times until late in the race where Kinser pulled away.

Two was a Eldora Anniversary race, USUSUALLY held the weekend before ohio Sprint week. Eldora was it's normal burn up rubber down after hot laps and stayed that way . Bobby started deep, maybe tenth. As the feature went on the track got heavier and heavier and by half way Bobby was passing two cars a lap down low. Won by half a lap.

three was a night at Attica, Had to be a WoO show but Bobby and S. Kinser swapped the lead and ran side by side that whole race, Kinser won, but Bobby was there till the end.

Four was Im thinking the friday after Knox nationals that Bobby Won, They'd leased a Shaver engine and Won Knoxville with it. But on the way east after Knox there was a I think All Star show at Bloomington. Bobby and Doug Wolfgang in the 8D Peace car ran side by side that whole race, Splitting cars. Was just amazing to watch. Wolfgang won, But again. Bobby gave him all he could handle.

There was the BIG THREE, But Bobby, Haud, Sometimes Hillenberg, Jacobs, Gaerte and a couple others could sometimes topple the apple kart. Joey Allen also was a good racer

And for the 15yrs or so I was going to said races. When Bobby showed up, it was with this old box truck with a smaller than most well used blue trailer with some rust holes in it. Heck they didn't even paint the frames, Which he made himself.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/15/23 at 11:30 PM.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, mc/rider
7/16/23, 1:45 AM   #14
flagboy55

Now correct me if I’m wrong, but at that race the title came down to Rick and Steve. I think I remember Ferkel blowing a tire in the feature?

7/16/23, 9:32 AM   #15
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Now correct me if I’m wrong, but at that race the title came down to Rick and Steve. I think I remember Ferkel blowing a tire in the feature?
Yep…. And Steve Kinser blew a motor also but held the point lead and won the championship.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

1 member likes this post: Grocery Guy
7/16/23, 9:34 AM   #16
cowboyhar69

And give credit to Earl on this…. He convinced Ted Johnson that he had to pay $2,000 to win for the WoO to be legitimate.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2 members like this post: Grocery Guy, mtek56
7/16/23, 9:46 AM   #17
cowboyhar69

Another history lesson…. Things didn’t always stay peaches and cream between Earl and Ted. Back in 1981 ( I think it was 81) a couple of weeks before the Eldora 4 day nationals Ted wanted more money and for Earl and Bernice to pay for the motel rooms for the top 10 in WoO points….. Earl said shove it and ran the Eldora Nationals with no sanction. I remember calling them and asking Earl if he thought he would get enough cars and asked…. “ Where is Wolfgang, Kinser and Ferkel running that week?”……. Earl said “ wherever the rest of them damn outlaws are running!!”….. and slammed the phone down.. lol
Anyone remember who won that year? All I can remember is it was won by a guy from Washington state and his first name was Gary.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

7/16/23, 10:03 AM   #18
kb78

I believe it was 1983 and Gary Lynch won it. I think he won it in Butch and Janie Smith's number 47 That Kelly Kinser and Kenny Jacobs would later drive. After that year the Eldora Nationals went to an All-Star sanction, but it went down to two days. That's a long time ago.

3 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Grocery Guy, Hustlin-Hoosier
7/16/23, 10:18 AM   #19
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
I believe it was 1983 and Gary Lynch won it. I think he won it in Butch and Janie Smith's number 47 That Kelly Kinser and Kenny Jacobs would later drive. After that year the Eldora Nationals went to an All-Star sanction, but it went down to two days. That's a long time ago.
Yeah Gary Lynch….. thanks!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

7/16/23, 11:34 AM   #20
flagboy55

Funny with the long and important relationship with the Outlaws and Eldora speedway, the Outlaws basically disregarded the Million. I never saw them mention anything about it until they had a tweet congratulating Logan. One could say only one other track has as much to do with the success of the series. My opinion would be no other track. Anyway it was a cool interview with Bobby and great to see him crown King Donnie the 40th

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bobby Allen