IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looks like WOO going to have a good group of racers in 2018
11/16/17, 10:12 AM   #11
Re: Looks like WOO going to have a good group of racers in 2
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Farley (IA) Speedway - Friday, June 22nd 2018

11/16/17, 2:14 PM   #12
btg1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
i'm glad when Dad first started taking me to the track we never cared what type of racing it was. Like it or not winged sprint cars are fun to watch.
p.s. my first World of Outlaw race Steve Kinser had an open trailer. True story.
My first WoO race... Steve Kinser didn't have a WING!!!

11/16/17, 11:33 PM   #13
Re: Looks like WOO going to have a good group of racers in 2
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
Lol! That's funny... I've seen good & not so good races both wing and non wing. But I just don't see how you can denigrate a series that can allow close to 20 drivers and crew to make a fair living doing what most would consider a dream. As to your assessment of the racing being a parade, name another series that had 20 different winners, averaged 38 cars over a 90 race season, and 13 lead changes in the last 2 laps.
I havnt been around quite as long as you but it's close and in that time I've owned & drove my own car and others but now I'm just a fan. I've also been around long enough to know sprint car racing and maybe all dirt track racing owe a debt of gratitude to 3 men, those are Ted Johnson, Earl Baltes and Ralph Capitani. Those 3 set the standard and brought along every track up with their efforts.
I am always a bit amused when people think that sprint car racing began with the 3 people mentioned above. Did they make significant contributions? Of course they did, but sprint car racing was already a significant part of auto racing in the US long before them. Does the WoO have great racers, they certainly do, however, the product IMHO more often than not does not live up to the marketing hype. In almost every part of our lives today we are now witnessing marketing and perception be the measure of quality as opposed to substance, sprint car racing is no exception.

11/17/17, 4:14 AM   #14
motorhead748

[QUOTE=captrat;485485]I am always a bit amused when people think that sprint car racing began with the 3 people mentioned above. Did they make significant contributions? Of course they did, but sprint car racing was already a significant part of auto racing in the US long before them. Does the WoO have great racers, they certainly do, however, the product IMHO more often than not does not live up to the marketing hype. In almost every part of our lives today we are now witnessing marketing and perception be the measure of quality as opposed to substance, sprint car racing is no exception.[/QUOTE).

I never said they started it.... I said they set the standard, raised the bar..in your previous post you mentioned you've been around 50 years.. that's great, that means you'd know Earl started eldora in '54 or about 13 years before you were involved. And yes I know there were sprint cars before 1954.
As far as hype... WTH do you think they or anyone else should use for a slogan or sales pitch? How about "the most mediocre show on dusty cornfields!" Or how about any track that advertises worlds fastest x/x mile! How about " we're not the the fastest joint". How about no one advertises or hypes their product?
Bottom line if you don't like a product you are free not to support it.
Last edited by motorhead748; 11/17/17 at 4:17 AM.

11/17/17, 5:22 PM   #15
i love dirt track racing

If you guys ever get a chance to watch some great racing events. Volusia speedway is a neat little place to watch the woo. And the big block mods are crazy. Have fun and enjoy the great things that we all love. Thanks.

3 members like this post: luckybuc97, mc/rider, PIT CART
11/17/17, 9:01 PM   #16
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

Volusia is one of my favorite race tracks. Crazy fast. The last few years the track is like lightning every night. They run a clean program every night, no dinking around.

2 members like this post: i love dirt track racing, PIT CART
11/17/17, 9:10 PM   #17
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Stockton CA reconfigured their track last year and just added new clay. Add it to your list of bad fast tracks. Speeds looked comparable to Volusia.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Looks like WOO going to have a good group of racers in 2018