IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Division II/IMRA Midget Meeting
12/17/13, 3:10 PM   #1
Division II/IMRA Midget Meeting
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

We will be having our anaual metting tonight in Orlando and 90% sure we will adpate 85% or more of IRMA's rules package. Tracy and I spoke at length last night and we are both on the same page with what we are doing. We both are incorporating the merge of motorcycle powered mini/lightning sprints with a sportsman style of midget.

With the economy in the tank we both understand the need for this type of "AFFORDABLE" series. We both agree on most of the rules although we are just a little apart on the engine rules which would be strickly "STOCK" componets in the short block assembly of both auto and motorcycle engines. Our biggest thing is piston replacement, if the egine comes with a 9.1 piston that is what needs to go back in it, aftermarket or stock. I would allow the rod replacement if a person wants to as long as you don't put a higher compression piston in it. We both are in agrievance that the Ford Focus 2.0 Z-tec engines need help and I am going to allow stock "OPEN" head rule. Port/Polish/Cams but must keep "STOCK" size valves. The Rouch heads will be illegal. Rouch head is not "STOCK", again "STOCK" short block only except oil pan and pick-up.

He, Tracy will be addressing a few things in Jan. that we have spoken about and we will do the same and then have his officers along with mine do a tele-conference afterwards. Our goal is to have a Southern Division and a Mid Western Division of Midgets and race for a "TRUE" National Championship to be crown at the PRI show in Indy.

We would have 2 weekends races in Florida/Georgia, 1 in Feb. or March and then 1 in Oct. or Nov. The IMRA would have their races from Memorial Day to end of August with a min. of a 2 race weekend for a total of 8. Those races will count as National Points then you will be able to take 8 of your best races (feature only) and add those to the total, and crowning a National Champion with "SHARED" Title rights as in Engler /Lucas Oil National Champion...rather it be Division II or Midget Lite or Sportsman Midget we can work that out in time. We would also have a combined National points fund for those only that become pretisapants. Those monies will go into a joint account and CAN NOT be touched...

I'm OLD SCHOOL so with that MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/17/13, 4:28 PM   #2
Re: Division II/IMRA Midget Meeting
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Wayne, I applaud yours and the IMRA's efforts to come up with a sensible set of rules for affordable non-wing, open wheel, midget-style racing. I think that this is something that can and should be independant of the discussions going on about National winged Lightning/Mini Sprint rules, as it's obvious that some of us desire a platform that has nothing to do with wings, and that both parties can exist amicably, much like National Winged (WOO) and Non-winged (USAC) Sprint Car organizations.
Even though I may choose to run mainly at Montpelier, where equally sane rules prevail, it's nice to know I'll have the choice to race the old girl elsewhere if the mood strikes me.
I'm now officially excited for 2014!
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

2 members like this post: lightning01, TQ29m
12/17/13, 4:53 PM   #3
openwheel44

FYI...........The Lightning Sprint package you are referring to has provisions for non-winged.

12/17/13, 5:37 PM   #4
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheel44 View Post
FYI...........The Lightning Sprint package you are referring to has provisions for non-winged.
If and when it's ever publicized I'd love to see the non-wing provisions, especially if they're inclusive enough to allow my car to compete.
Since I don't have a crystal ball, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully this thread stays on its' original topic
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
Last edited by jjones752; 12/17/13 at 5:43 PM.

12/17/13, 9:28 PM   #5
sprintcar39

Wayne, Is the new Honda HPD engine that USAC had on display at PRI legal in your winter series? This is the engine that will run in the Focus class in 2014.

12/18/13, 3:33 AM   #6
Wayne Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar39 View Post
Wayne, Is the new Honda HPD engine that USAC had on display at PRI legal in your winter series? This is the engine that will run in the Focus class in 2014.
SC39
Not for sure which one they had...this is the one that "MIGHT BE" D-2 legal.....Honda K24 “crate” engines, sold and distributed by USAC, will become the new spec engine for the Honda Ignite Midget Series.....

THIS IS NOT THE USAC ENGINE HOWEVER....we will let everyone know as soon as USAC lets us know....this is a KMOD engine from Asheboro, North Carolina

KMOD K24 Crate Engine Stg.1 220+whp
-K24a1 Engine(complete head & block) w/ K24a1 cylinder head -06 TSX Cams -BC Valvesprings-BC Retainers -Honda "VTEC Killer" Rockers -RBC Intake Manifold -K-Tuned TB Adapter -OEM K20a2 fuel injectors -K-tuned fuel rail -Honda head gasket -Honda 87.25mm 11.0:0 Pistons/Rings -Racing rod/main bearings -KMOD K20a2 Oil Pump & Pan **8000 RPM Rev Limit **Tuning required 220+WHP *Precision honed cylinders *Precision balanced rotating assembly *Precision checked/set bearing clearance Note: Slight lope at Idle Add Shipping below **NO CORE CHARGE**Our price includes the K24 Block & Head
Price: $4,999.00

but this is something IMRA and I will go over and discuss so DO NOT go out and buy one until you see final draft of rules early Jan.

What a great meeting we had tonight. lots of good things came out of it, I will be forwarding our proposed rules to Tracy Hull with the IMRA with what we all agreed upon here in the south which was about 96% of what he and Robbie Ray had already written. We D-2 will not put our rules in stone until after IMRA's meeting in Jan. then we will have a tele-conference and make the final. Hopefully we are on the verge of a National set of NON-WING Lightning Sprint/Mini Sprint/Midget Lite/Division II midget rules. I will only post these after Tracy and I speak when he see's our proposed revision to the rules which is not much, but this has to be a joint effort for it to work (rules) to become a "NATIONAL" set of rules.

1 member likes this post: jjones752
12/18/13, 12:32 PM   #7
sprintcar39

Wayne, The engine that USAC had on display is the K24 crate engine with no internal modifications. I am involved in this project for USAC and would like to give you more details and get more information going forward. Please give me a call at 317-771-6596 at your convenience please.
Eric Rankine

12/18/13, 1:33 PM   #8
Wayne Davis

Will do Eric

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Division II/IMRA Midget Meeting