IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How do we finish races
8/27/17, 11:31 AM   #1
How do we finish races
david mitchell
Banned

Major kudos to everyone at kokomo speedway for four wonderful days of smackdown.great weather,good crowds,great auction for kids on saturday.now if usac can come up with a appropriate way to end a race everything will be fine.it seems to me if a leader of a race is in the final corner coming for the checker flag and a car spins or whatever the race should be over.end of story.no restart,finished.i mean,where is the line drawn.100 feet,200 feet,etc.personally,i believe if a leader takes a white flag and completes a half a lap,that should be it.how many shots do we give the other cars a chance to pass the leader.if memory serves me correctly there was a problem with this at the finish of the sprintweek race at haubstadt. If anyone knows the true rule on this,let us know.it seems rather arbitrary.

8/27/17, 11:50 AM   #2
Tumey's 55

Seems like there is a rule that is straightforward. If the leader has not crossed the finish line when an incident occurs the race is not over. The finish line is clearly defined, there should be no confusion, it is not contrived, and as it has always been. If you want to win must be first to the checkers whenever they fly.

8/27/17, 12:22 PM   #3
Re: How do we finish races
TQ29m

Seems like I remember a further clarification of that rule, which no doubt will cause some confusion, but the rule I am referencing is this, "if the lead car has crossed the finish line, and an accident occurs behind him/her, the race will be considered complete", that may not be the exact wording, but close. Bob

5 members like this post: jim goerge, PIT CART, robert gatten, tirespinner, Xflagman
8/27/17, 12:41 PM   #4
robert gatten

Racing was great and finish was just as it should have been. The race is not over until the leader crosses the finish line. We don't need that arbitrary guessing game like those taxi cabs.

8/27/17, 2:11 PM   #5
Scott Daloisio

Been around racing since the day I was born (over 60 years now) and the finish line has almost always been clearly defined as to where the checkered flag is. Why change something that has clearly worked since the sport began?

Have seen a few instances at tracks where the scoring loop is quite a ways before or after the starter and it is confusing and frustrating for fans and has caused a lot of dissension with disgruntled drivers & owners.

4 members like this post: captrat, ISF, Mofiaboss, tirespinner
8/27/17, 3:28 PM   #6
david mitchell
Banned

What if car spins and the leader is five feet from finish line.the checkered flag is already waving,then what.technically,the car has not hit the line,and the flag is waving.this is racing and i have seen it happen many times.maybe once the checkered has been put out,that is it.regardless of whether or not the leading car has crossed line.

1 member likes this post: duel
8/27/17, 3:56 PM   #7
Sprintcarfanatic

What, modern technology has not taken care of this & to think it used to be Green, White & checker before transponders.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/27/17, 3:57 PM   #8
PIT CART

Why change what has been working fine forever. If the leader is past the finish line on last lap the race is over not 50 feet away. I understand that got some cars tore up last night but that's racing. I hate seeing fast cars getting wadded up but that was some of the best 2 laps to go racing I have seen in a long time 🏁🏁

8/27/17, 4:48 PM   #9
david mitchell
Banned

I like sprint car fanatic😸😸😸😸😸😸

8/27/17, 5:07 PM   #10
Eatin Dirt

My question in all this madness, how does someone not stop Big Daddy before he gets to T Thomas? Officials saw how upset he was after the mishap, he was very adamant at the track exit, then was allowed to walk the entire length of the front stretch. I mean it was entertaining, but just curious.

2 members like this post: duel, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How do we finish races