IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Auto Value Super Sprints Sched
12/16/18, 11:21 PM   #21
Re: Auto Value Super Sprints Sched

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
Am I wrong or isn't the non-wing race the same day as the USAC Silver Crown race up there? I have never been to Toledo, sounds like a good trip to make.
This is one that I'm really excited about. I love the Crown cars and hope to drive one some day. I feel like I'll be getting paid to watch a race. I would think that guys like Kody Swanson, Aaron Pierce and Bobby Santos will pull double duty. I think it would be great if someone would put up a bonus if someone could win both.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

12/17/18, 1:20 AM   #22
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney View Post
wonder how many cars will show up for this non-wing crap. usac went out of business racing with 5 competitive teams and 5-10 so-so teams (spartan specials) !
Always good to hear from the keyboard cowboys!

And isn't it good to see a positive Pavement post on IoW again???

And yes its good to see the Anderson work blossom into more shows, I hope more of the winged guys will embrace the non wing thing....
Last edited by Puppy; 12/17/18 at 1:33 AM.

4 members like this post: fish, Indy1808, interpreter66, team3521
12/19/18, 7:16 PM   #23
btwhit01

Salem and Winchester with open wheel races on the same weekend Aug 10th
Last edited by btwhit01; 12/19/18 at 7:59 PM.

12/20/18, 5:10 PM   #24
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwhit01 View Post
Salem and Winchester with open wheel races on the same weekend Aug 10th
A tad odd it is. However, looking at the AVSS schedule the Winchester date IS listed as a tentative date.

They'll HAVE to change it or it will turn out bad. AVSS is playing/appealing to the USAC crowd more than anyone.

1 member likes this post: MIracing
12/20/18, 8:18 PM   #25
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

The Winchester date will be moved, got it from a reliable source.

5 members like this post: btwhit01, erich45, Indy1808, MIracing, sprintracer82
12/20/18, 9:07 PM   #26
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Mersereau View Post
The Winchester date will be moved, got it from a reliable source.
Ear to the ground.... good reporting, Rich.

12/21/18, 9:03 PM   #27
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

The kitchen table never lies. Right?

12/24/18, 11:45 AM   #28
Chase Hightower

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
Wow! Two things I never thought I’d read on IOW: “non-winged crap” and “we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in here.” While I doubt if I am all knowing on the state of pavement racing, I definitely have opinions, so I guess, since you asked, here we go.

Racing in general is in trouble. While many of you are quick to comment on NASCAR crowds being down from what they were 10 years ago, you seem to forget that Indy Car, except for the Indy 500, have almost embarrassing crowds at some of their venues. Weekly shows at our beloved dirt tracks all over the country are struggling to get by. And the weekly pavement tracks are just as bad.

I’m finding myself in transition from Driver to Fan. Next month I’m going to be 57 years old and this was my 30th year of driving sprint cars. Even though I’ve driven at almost every dirt track in the state and I still try to drive dirt a couple of times a year, I’m known primarily as a pavement driver.

As a fan, I find myself as a unique individual in that, while I have my favorites, I’ll watch any kind racing. I’ve said many a time that I’ll watch two squirrels race up a tree. But I know I’m in the minority. While there are fans travel around with their favorite series, most fans go to the same track week in and week out with maybe one or two trips a year where they go see a traveling series of some kind.

If these fans are lucky, they have a traveling series that comes to their home track. And it’s my opinion that many of these fans are becoming bored with the various traveling series. Outside of the Knoxville Nationals and maybe Indiana Sprint week, the traveling series just aren’t pulling the crowds like they used to. It’s my contention that we need to give the fans something different and in the pavement world, I think that will be non-winged sprints.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that as we roll into these tracks without our wings that all of a sudden, the stands will be packed. I’m not that naive. We have to show up with a good car count. We have to put on good, clean show. In other words, we need to give the fans their money’s worth and then some.

I’m sure some tracks will not embrace non-winged racing. But I truly believe that some will. And hopefully some will do both winged and non-winged.

On the racer side, I think car count will be the key. Anderson has shown that the cars are out there. I think there was close to 30 cars at the Tony Elliott Classic this fall. I think the key to making the Auto Value races work will be in getting some of the Indiana guys to head north. And then getting the Michigan guys to come down to the Indiana races.

I applaud the Auto Value Super Sprint Series for trying something new (at least in their world). If we expect things to get better, we have to be willing to take risks.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing
AGREE!!!! I never thought people would ***** about no wings, more racing, and pavement gaining races and tracks th run at. Some people nothing could make happy. Simple, if you don’t like it, stay home.
Last edited by Chase Hightower; 12/25/18 at 8:01 AM.

1 member likes this post: Indy1808
12/26/18, 12:36 PM   #29
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Just thought I'd share since the topic has been a lot about Winchester. Not the last race, but video from the 2010 race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B6Qoj7Qu_k

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Danny Burton, duel, luckybuc97
12/26/18, 12:55 PM   #30
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
Last USAC race at Winchester 9-18-2011. Rich Vogler Classic. Tracy Hines ntr for usac and winner. Followed by East, Windom, Kody Swanson, and Kyle Larson.
HINES WINS “RICH VOGLER CLASSIC” AT WINCHESTER

Winchester, IN……..It took fast qualifier Tracy Hines of New Castle, Ind. just 12 laps to come from sixth starting position to pass pole starter Bobby East for the lead in Sunday’s “Rich Vogler Classic” at the Winchester Speedway. Hines and his Fatheadz/BS Motorsports Beast/Mopar led the final 19 laps of the 30-lap AMSOIL USAC Pavement Sprint car race to beat East, Chris Windom, Kody Swanson and Kyle Larson. USAC Pavement Sprint point leader Bobby Santos III finished sixth to retain the pavement point lead going into next Thursday night’s “Thursday Night Thunder” race at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis, Ind.

AMSOIL USAC PAVEMENT SPRINT CAR RACE RESULTS: September 18, 2011 – Winchester, Indiana – Winchester Speedway – “Rich Vogler Classic”

QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Tracy Hines, 4, Hines-14.015; 2. Tanner Swanson, 17T, TK-14.458; 3. Kody Swanson, 75, TK-14.570; 4. Chris Windom, 17, Windom-14.661; 5. Bobby Santos III, 98s, Santos-14.842; 6. Bobby East, 5, Klatt-14.868; 7. Jacob Wilson, 07, WRB-14.941; 8. Kyle Larson, 67, Kunz-15.046; 9. Aaron Pierce, 26, Pierce-15.079; 10. Brian Olson, 59, Powell-15.172; 11. Russ Gamester, 35, Gamester-15.209; 12. Caleb Armstrong, 7A, C & A-NT; 13. JoJo Helberg, 7, Helberg-NT; 14. Brian Gerster, 27, Davis/Gerster-NT.

FIRST HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Pierce, 2. Wilson, 3. Hines, 4. K.Swanson, 5. Santos, 6. Gamester. 2:01.34

SECOND HEAT: (8 laps) 1. Larson, 2. Windom, 3. Olson, 4. T.Swanson, 5. East. 2:01.89

FEATURE: (30 laps) 1. Tracy Hines, 2. Bobby East, 3. Chris Windom, 4. Kody Swanson, 5. Kyle Larson, 6. Bobby Santos III, 7. Jacob Wilson, 8. Aaron Pierce, 9. Brian Olson, 10. Tanner Swanson, 11. Russ Gamester. NT

--------------------------------

FEATURE LAP LEADERS: Laps 1-11 East, Laps 12-30 Hines.

NEW AMSOIL PAVEMENT SPRINT POINTS: 1-Santos-304; 2-T.Swanson-290; 3-East-286; 4-Windom-280; 5-K.Swanson-265; 6-Wilson-256; 7-Hines-246; 8-Gerster-193; 9-Gamester-187; 10-Olson-177.

http://www.usacracing.com/news/sprin...-at-winchester

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, erich45, jdull99, nathans1012
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Auto Value Super Sprints Sched