IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Auto Value Super Sprints Sched
12/15/18, 7:32 AM   #11
Re: Auto Value Super Sprints Sched
chop

Thanks for the news. I was looking at Berlin's just posted races for 2019. Saw the non wing sprint car listed. Was going to have a post here asking if anyone knew about it. I think the last time a non wing sprint car race was ran at Berlin was a USAC 4th of July race a real long time ago.

1 member likes this post: duel
12/15/18, 7:57 AM   #12
Tony74

Awesome to see the work that Rick/Jared at Anderson Speedway is paying off and has helped to get us traveling shows.

7 members like this post: duel, fish, Indy1808, interpreter66, K92, photoman, ScottShot
12/15/18, 10:49 AM   #13
duel

Last USAC race at Winchester 9-18-2011. Rich Vogler Classic. Tracy Hines ntr for usac and winner. Followed by East, Windom, Kody Swanson, and Kyle Larson.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
12/15/18, 12:01 PM   #14
duel

[QUOTE=erich45;506385]Last USAC sprint race @Winchester 9/18/2011 won by Tracy Hines.[/QUOTE
double post sorry

1 member likes this post: erich45
12/15/18, 1:26 PM   #15
erich45

No worries. You had more information than I.

12/16/18, 2:34 AM   #16

Wow! Two things I never thought I’d read on IOW: “non-winged crap” and “we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in here.” While I doubt if I am all knowing on the state of pavement racing, I definitely have opinions, so I guess, since you asked, here we go.

Racing in general is in trouble. While many of you are quick to comment on NASCAR crowds being down from what they were 10 years ago, you seem to forget that Indy Car, except for the Indy 500, have almost embarrassing crowds at some of their venues. Weekly shows at our beloved dirt tracks all over the country are struggling to get by. And the weekly pavement tracks are just as bad.

I’m finding myself in transition from Driver to Fan. Next month I’m going to be 57 years old and this was my 30th year of driving sprint cars. Even though I’ve driven at almost every dirt track in the state and I still try to drive dirt a couple of times a year, I’m known primarily as a pavement driver.

As a fan, I find myself as a unique individual in that, while I have my favorites, I’ll watch any kind racing. I’ve said many a time that I’ll watch two squirrels race up a tree. But I know I’m in the minority. While there are fans travel around with their favorite series, most fans go to the same track week in and week out with maybe one or two trips a year where they go see a traveling series of some kind.

If these fans are lucky, they have a traveling series that comes to their home track. And it’s my opinion that many of these fans are becoming bored with the various traveling series. Outside of the Knoxville Nationals and maybe Indiana Sprint week, the traveling series just aren’t pulling the crowds like they used to. It’s my contention that we need to give the fans something different and in the pavement world, I think that will be non-winged sprints.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that as we roll into these tracks without our wings that all of a sudden, the stands will be packed. I’m not that naive. We have to show up with a good car count. We have to put on good, clean show. In other words, we need to give the fans their money’s worth and then some.

I’m sure some tracks will not embrace non-winged racing. But I truly believe that some will. And hopefully some will do both winged and non-winged.

On the racer side, I think car count will be the key. Anderson has shown that the cars are out there. I think there was close to 30 cars at the Tony Elliott Classic this fall. I think the key to making the Auto Value races work will be in getting some of the Indiana guys to head north. And then getting the Michigan guys to come down to the Indiana races.

I applaud the Auto Value Super Sprint Series for trying something new (at least in their world). If we expect things to get better, we have to be willing to take risks.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing

12/16/18, 3:08 AM   #17
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
Wow! Two things I never thought I’d read on IOW: “non-winged crap” and “we need our good friend Tom Paterson to chime in here.” While I doubt if I am all knowing on the state of pavement racing, I definitely have opinions, so I guess, since you asked, here we go.

Racing in general is in trouble. While many of you are quick to comment on NASCAR crowds being down from what they were 10 years ago, you seem to forget that Indy Car, except for the Indy 500, have almost embarrassing crowds at some of their venues. Weekly shows at our beloved dirt tracks all over the country are struggling to get by. And the weekly pavement tracks are just as bad.

I’m finding myself in transition from Driver to Fan. Next month I’m going to be 57 years old and this was my 30th year of driving sprint cars. Even though I’ve driven at almost every dirt track in the state and I still try to drive dirt a couple of times a year, I’m known primarily as a pavement driver.

As a fan, I find myself as a unique individual in that, while I have my favorites, I’ll watch any kind racing. I’ve said many a time that I’ll watch two squirrels race up a tree. But I know I’m in the minority. While there are fans travel around with their favorite series, most fans go to the same track week in and week out with maybe one or two trips a year where they go see a traveling series of some kind.

If these fans are lucky, they have a traveling series that comes to their home track. And it’s my opinion that many of these fans are becoming bored with the various traveling series. Outside of the Knoxville Nationals and maybe Indiana Sprint week, the traveling series just aren’t pulling the crowds like they used to. It’s my contention that we need to give the fans something different and in the pavement world, I think that will be non-winged sprints.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think that as we roll into these tracks without our wings that all of a sudden, the stands will be packed. I’m not that naive. We have to show up with a good car count. We have to put on good, clean show. In other words, we need to give the fans their money’s worth and then some.

I’m sure some tracks will not embrace non-winged racing. But I truly believe that some will. And hopefully some will do both winged and non-winged.

On the racer side, I think car count will be the key. Anderson has shown that the cars are out there. I think there was close to 30 cars at the Tony Elliott Classic this fall. I think the key to making the Auto Value races work will be in getting some of the Indiana guys to head north. And then getting the Michigan guys to come down to the Indiana races.

I applaud the Auto Value Super Sprint Series for trying something new (at least in their world). If we expect things to get better, we have to be willing to take risks.

Tom Paterson
PDP Racing
Thanx for answering the chime, Tom. You are the smartest guy in the room with respect to this topic. Always respected on this forum, and TJ's old one, you are.

1 member likes this post: team3521
12/16/18, 3:48 AM   #18
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by duel View Post
Last USAC race at Winchester 9-18-2011. Rich Vogler Classic. Tracy Hines ntr for usac and winner. Followed by East, Windom, Kody Swanson, and Kyle Larson.
And, I'm pretty sure, when Kyle 1st went taxi-cab (lol) racing, they used to say he never ran pavement...many of us knew better! Still amazing the LITTLE bit of pavement experience that he did have (compared to Jeff/Tony/Newman/Kahne/etc - that all were able to take advantage of the Thunder series and such, at it's peak), he was able to adapt so quickly to that style racing, in a 2nd tier team(...imagine if Chevy had money to put into racing still too [no way to they support it like Toyota does...unless Indycar is counted...the way it is, idk if they lose money on that tho...], &/or if Hendrick would get rid of Willy the kid Byron and put him in the 24 where Larson belongs...lol)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 12/16/18 at 1:11 PM.

12/16/18, 10:49 AM   #19
ossuks

There are several Indy Car races that have tremendous crowds!!

2 members like this post: duel, ronmil
12/16/18, 11:03 AM   #20
kb78

Am I wrong or isn't the non-wing race the same day as the USAC Silver Crown race up there? I have never been to Toledo, sounds like a good trip to make.

3 members like this post: erich45, MIracing, Stevensville Mike
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Auto Value Super Sprints Sched