IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Direct fit Midget axle for Doemelt Lightning Sprint?
10/23/14, 7:59 PM   #1
Direct fit Midget axle for Doemelt Lightning Sprint?
DLG8012

I'm trying to find a direct bolt in midget front axle for my Doemelt Lightning sprint. its a torsion bar car.
Just wanted to ask the question before I spend money on an axle that needs to be modified.
Thanks.
Last edited by DLG8012; 10/23/14 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Fix grammer

10/23/14, 11:44 PM   #2
badcoupe

Your best bet is take your old out and have a one made to the same dimensions. Speedpartz, acro engineering etc. will make them anyway you want

10/25/14, 9:31 AM   #3
mscs20

Or have Clay Doemelt build/sell you one. His company is now Runaway Chassis in Arcola Illinois.

10/26/14, 6:05 AM   #4
Bradleyracing86

What measurments?

10/29/14, 5:02 PM   #5
DLG8012

I want it as wide as a normal midget axle. I would have to measure everything else and get back to you.

10/29/14, 5:47 PM   #6
Re: Direct fit Midget axle for Doemelt Lightning Sprint?
DAD

DLG

Are you updating your car? All of those pieces have to work together or you really get lost. Midgets use several different axle lengths and offsets. That stuff should correspond with what you have on the rear axle.

Are you just looking to up date to heavier Midget axle parts and spindles? Domelts are a very good race car. Without more insight to why you are changing you could be making a change for the worse. Do you want to race wing or non wing? What size track and bank is most common? Are you wanting to change over into a more modern heavily offset car?

If I were you I would invest a dime and call up Domelt and tell him what you are looking to accomplish and go from there. Then if you have a problem or other concerns he would be my go to guy.

Although all front axles may look alike subtle changes as to the placement and angle of radius rod brackets, and their placement on axle, placement of the panard bar spud can all lead to something that works or does not work.

Honest Dad himself

10/29/14, 7:21 PM   #7
badcoupe

Dad is right we had a axle made and the spacing for the radius rods was different than that on the chassis needless to say the car was undriveable

11/1/14, 5:08 AM   #8
DLG8012

Ok. Thanks for thr info. The reason for the upgrade is I broke the wheel hub and bent the axle. I was thinking of upgrading the whole thing.
Last edited by DLG8012; 11/1/14 at 5:11 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Direct fit Midget axle for Doemelt Lightning Sprint?