IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ignition Systems
10/23/16, 2:50 PM   #1
Ignition Systems
Eric Smith

Educate me on the pros and cons of various types and brands of ignition systems.

Internal coil, external coil

Mallory, MSD, Vertex

Why is one better than another? Weight? Reliability? HP? Cost? Ease of changing when failure happens?

I'm hoping for real experiences. Not just opinions.

Why do you choose the system you do? Have you dynoed engines with various ignitions and seen a difference?

Help me understand so I can choose wisely.

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
10/23/16, 5:10 PM   #2
Re: Ignition Systems
Can26

Kiss!

1 member likes this post: jaythorne
10/23/16, 6:06 PM   #3
Eric Smith

What do you use and why? What different mags have you used and what were your experiences with each?

10/24/16, 7:31 PM   #4
Tony74

We've ran about 100 races on magnetos, plus 2 little 500's. Only had one condenser go back (which is tough to trouble shoot). One down side to a mag is the limited spark energy, you have to be more careful with plug selection. Msd have more spark energy and multiple soarks. They will fire about any plug/fuel mix (won't foul plugs). But down side is needing a spare spark box as typically when they quit your have to send off for checking out.

10/26/16, 12:40 AM   #5
Re: Ignition Systems
jdull99

I don't think anyone has every had a DNF cuz they had a battery failure while running a mag...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

3 members like this post: cmakin, PIT CART, Speedwrench
10/27/16, 9:57 PM   #6
Go Fast

Race Count This Year: 3

With the heads and big injectors on newer engines a traditional mag has a harder time making enough spark. They will run, but run better with the MSD. I have my box, tach and switch on one dzus-in plate. Two backups setup the same. Easy to remove for washing car. Can swap a box in 30 seconds under a caution if needed. I have a system down where I can change the generator/distributor in around 5 minutes and be within 1 degree on timing. Close enough to race w/o hurting anything. MSD system makes that all possible. We can also run a chip in the MSD to limit rpm"s. Can't do that with a standard mag.
Last edited by Go Fast; 10/27/16 at 10:01 PM.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ignition Systems