IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes
10/27/16, 5:55 PM   #31
LEADERS EDGE

[QUOTE=cshuman;461454]In Australia, they require hood and arm guard panels to be fastened by "wingnut" dzus buttons so safety workers can take them off without needing a tool. That being said, I don't think panels are making any injuries worse. If a guy needs to get in, or out, they will. The biggest thing I think needs to be done is head clearance.. build the cars with taller cages and smaller openings. There are way too many guys running with their heads damn near even with the cage.[/

Now that is simething I am board with.

5 members like this post: interpreter66, Kellen Conover, LB, Racer1039, trannyman
10/27/16, 6:30 PM   #32
Re: USAC to mandate safety changes
artknepper

not much you can do if the drivers head is too close to the cage... except lower the seat/ take the seat cushion out. hello spinal cord base injuries due to seat close to the torque tube now....

2 members like this post: bcataldi, interpreter66
10/27/16, 7:59 PM   #33
sp6967

lower the driver and raise the roll cage and get rid of the torque tube by mandating front wheel drive. next problem?

1 member likes this post: Peterman
10/27/16, 8:42 PM   #34
cshuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by artknepper View Post
not much you can do if the drivers head is too close to the cage... except lower the seat/ take the seat cushion out. hello spinal cord base injuries due to seat close to the torque tube now....
I suggested manufacturers build taller cages with smaller opening.. I agree lowering seat bars isn't a good thing for the reasons you stated.. that being said, there are a lot of guys that space their seat up, and get their head too high also.

5 members like this post: Kellen Conover, oldfan49, PIT CART, Racer1039, TKRacing
10/28/16, 12:09 AM   #35
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Now it's sprint car but Cooper Clouse and a couple others have been running Hawk Chassis and Coopers about six five and says he has a good four or five inch from helmet top to bars.

The Hawks kinda have a continuous rake from the nerfs to the rear uprights behind the seat vs to the front uprights and level out.

1 member likes this post: RynoK1999
10/28/16, 1:29 AM   #36
Agentry10

My opinion we get in and race the darn things

4 members like this post: crew chief, hoscalecody, racenut69, sprinter14
10/28/16, 1:46 AM   #37
cshuman

With that mentality we would still be running without cages and wearing t shirts man.. This sport is never going to be completely safe.. but there's definitely ways to make things better.

10/28/16, 2:07 AM   #38
Agentry10

And I would be perfectly fine with that

3 members like this post: darnall, nicharris02, Russ
10/28/16, 2:33 AM   #39
cshuman

Lol well alrighty then

2 members like this post: Racer1039, treecitytornado
10/28/16, 7:17 AM   #40
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
lower the driver and raise the roll cage and get rid of the torque tube by mandating front wheel drive. next problem?
front wheel drive would do on a winged car, help them not get sideways. They hate that.

1 member likes this post: captrat
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC to mandate safety changes