IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC photo ID help needed.
12/29/09, 7:15 PM   #21
Re: USAC photo ID help needed.
Modocer 57

Picture of the 48 Longhorn, might be at New Bremen?

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
12/29/09, 9:42 PM   #22
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
David, by strictly memory and that is not good with me. But - #54 as I recall may have been also driven by Jerry Poland. #48 maybe Bubby Jones? Just a WAG from me.
Gregg , I think you are correct that Bubby Jones drove the 48 Longhorn car.

12/29/09, 11:51 PM   #23
Butch47265

I think it was Jan or Bubby, That was the black #1 I drove in 1975 for Jim McQueen 1st 4 bar Stapp ever built I liked it. Butch Wilkerson #1

12/30/09, 12:46 AM   #24
bigmojo5

Stapp showed up at the Hulman Classic that spring -- 1975 -- in a sharp looking No. 1 and won the feature with Joe Saldana hot on his tail. If I remember right, Stapp sold, or gave, that car to McQueen.

When USAC returned to Terre Haute in June, Stapp had this car in primer black because it was just finished. Stapp told me a year ago that Russ Clendenon gave him a lot of grief because the car did not have a polished paint job. It ran that way for most of the rest of the season, just in spite. Didn't figure even USAC would dare keep the defending champion from running, unfinished paiint job or not.

That was back in the era when USAC exercised a lot more control over car numbers, etc. Just read in Speedy Bill's book that USAC would not allow him to run his traditional 4X because it did not allow letters as part of the number, so it ran as a 64. The top 10 car owners ran the number of the position their car finished the year before. Pancho won the championship with Stapp in 1974 and carried a No. 1 the next year. He was fourth in 75 and ran a No. 4 in 1976. He had a No. 1 in 1977, and so forth. He drove a No. 44 in 1978 and 1979. (I was a huge Pancho fan/)
You didn't just show up, pay your money and run USAC back then.

I remember that first day in June of 1975 that Pancho was having a heck of a time keeping the left front wheel anywhere close to the ground with the primer black car.

As far as the 48, I don't believe Jan or Bubby were driving it, them, that year -- 1975. (I could be wrong.) Jan was driving the car in 1976 after the Hulman Classic. The track is definitely not New Bremen. Banked too high. Tri-County might be a possibility. Never went there. Looks too big for Winchester.

Jim Morrison

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

I just checked www.openwheeltimes.com. Bruce Walkup drove the Ben Leyba No. 4 AND the Hillin No. 48 in 1975. Ran the Hillin car at Illiana, Winchester, Salem, Minnesota State Fairgrounds, Birmingham International Speedway, among others.
Jim Morrison

---------- Post added at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Bill Puterbaugh drove the De Palma 12 at Winchester in April of 1973. The track definitely looks like Winchester prior to the 1976 pavement job. It also looks like an older full-face helmet.
Merle Bettenhausen never drove a 11, according to openwheeltimes.com
Jim Morrison
Last edited by bigmojo5; 12/30/09 at 1:23 AM.

2 members like this post: dusty tracks, Ovalmeister
1/1/10, 12:08 PM   #25
LEADERS EDGE

Gehlhausen had two Rear Engined cars and one was a number 34 that Jerry Sneva drove a few times.

1/1/10, 4:33 PM   #26
smith19

if you want some old pic's go to "jimmy's old time racing photo's". there is a wide selection. the best i've seen.

2 members like this post: HurstBros0, Ovalmeister
1/3/10, 12:19 AM   #27
HurstBros0

http://jimmiesoldtimeracing.mywowbb.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
if you want some old pic's go to "jimmy's old time racing photo's". there is a wide selection. the best i've seen.
There is the link..... I spent the afternoon there and seen many forgotten men and machines.
Last edited by HurstBros0; 1/3/10 at 12:21 AM. Reason: ?

2 members like this post: Ovalmeister, Xflagman
1/5/10, 4:06 AM   #28
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Harrison View Post
EDIT: Pulled out the Sprint Car Pictorials:

In the 1976 edition (1975 season) there are a couple of photos of Thad Dosher driving the Longhorn 48 pictured above.

In the 1981 edition (1980 season) There are a couple of photos of a #11 very similar to the 1 in the photo above listing as being owned by Steve Stapp and driven by Pancho Carter. Those pics have McCord Auto painted on the hood where the American flag is in the photo above.

I think you and Modocer 57 might be onto something with Thad Dosher. I ran across this photo in my stash labeled "Thad Dosher Terre Haute 1975". But as others have said, several drivers were in the car at one time or another. Did Dosher race dirt and pavement? I can't remember. The Longhorn 48 pit photo above was taken at New Bremen by the way. I have several others taken the same day. (such as the Pancho photo below). Thanks to everyone for the help with the photo ID's!
David.

5/3/11, 7:35 PM   #29
deannalynn

I believe the orange RE #34, after her glory days at the IMS (prob with Sneva and/or Bettenhausen), was also taken out to Winchester and Salem by driver Tom Brewer from Roanoke, IN.

5/9/11, 11:01 AM   #30
indybail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBurger View Post
John Mahler drove a RE #34 at Winchester on 7/29/73. Qualified badly and didn't run any more that day. I was there but don't recall if this is the car or not. At first glance I was thinking that this RE #34 might have been the car in which Jerry Hansen won a feature. The Hansen car was orange, I believe.
I had forgotten Jerry Hansen had ventured into sprint cars ( and very successfully). An accomplished road racer, he ran a few pavement races. Jerry Hansen's car was a F5000 car (Lola 192) and numbered 44. His sprint car adventures were limited to Minnesota and it appears to me that the picture was taken at Winchester and the car is of an AAR Eagle heritage.

Thanks for bringing him up. I hadn't thought about him in a long time. My dad and I used to see him at the SCCA races at Indianapolis Raceway Park. One of those guys who raced all kinds of different racing cars. You never knew what he was going to show up with.
Last edited by indybail; 5/9/11 at 11:07 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC photo ID help needed.