IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC photo ID help needed.
12/28/09, 2:48 PM   #11
Re: USAC photo ID help needed.
Gregg

I was thinking the Mahler car was an eagle. I wonder if it is the same car Gary Bettenhausen tried to qualify at Winchester later in the year. He did have a #34. Now that I think of it the Jerry Sneva car might have had a #84 on it but that one was a Gerhardt.

The wife will kill me if I start dragging out old NSSNs again.

On edit the #34 car above is a 1968 eagle. I remember they trimmed the beak on the front nose to where it didn't have much of a contour anymore.
Last edited by Gregg; 12/28/09 at 2:52 PM.

1 member likes this post: Ovalmeister
12/28/09, 3:54 PM   #12
racerjim2

The #12 car could also be Don Hewitt. I think Don drove that car a few times.

#54 is Poland

#48 is 1 car of the 2 car Longhorn team. Opperman drove 1 and I think the Duker drove that #48 a time or 2 as did Bubby Jones.

12/28/09, 4:24 PM   #13
Speedwrench

Just for argument's sake - The driver of the 12 might be Doc Dawson, he drove for DePalma several times.

Not sure who is in the 11 car, but I'm pretty sure the It's not Pancho and I don't think it is a Stapp car - the cage is all wrong for a Stapp.

Would go along with the choices for the 48 but I remember it as being one of those cars that nearly everyone drove at some point in time.

Also, I don't think the 48 is ex-Foyt. The Foyt 11 that I remember was a Stapp springer with an integral cage.
Last edited by Speedwrench; 12/28/09 at 4:32 PM.

12/28/09, 6:34 PM   #14
Modocer 57

Longhorn 48 may have been driven Thad Dosher, not sure of spelling. Keep the photos coming

Thanks

12/28/09, 6:57 PM   #15
darnall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dupp View Post
That would be great.

That's my vote also

12/28/09, 11:03 PM   #16
bigmojo5

Is the number 12 Merle Bettenhausen in 1973 or 1974?
I think the body looks a little thick in the chest for Gary, and I think the helmet doesn't look right for him either. The left arm looks pretty thin, possibly the artifical limb Merle used in those years. Saw Merle drive Willie Davis' sprinter at Winchester using it. The Magnavox sponsorship on the hood is interesting.

Also, would the 48 be driven by Bruce Walkup, who had the initial Longhorn Racing rides, I believe. The car on the other side of the tires that is primer gray looks like the Steve Stapp car driven by Pancho Carter. The other car looks like the No. 45 driven by Mike Schisel, (not certain of the spellling). I would guess this photo was taken in 1975. Curious about the track. Kinda looks like Dayton but that had a guard rail rather than a concrete wall. Also, Dayton did not reopen until 1976.

As for the 54, is Jerry Stone a possiblity?

The No. 14 rear engine car would be from 1973 and is at Winchester before the old boiler plate guard rail was replaced with the present concrete wall.

As far as the 11, question on it being Pancho. the tilt of the head doesn't look right and the upper torso seems too small. Pancho sat taller in the seat. Also, the uniform looks blue. He usually wore a white one.

Jim Morrison
Last edited by bigmojo5; 12/28/09 at 11:10 PM.

12/29/09, 12:40 AM   #17
Need For Speed

Not sure if Don Hewitt or Doc Dawson drove much pavement. But that sure looks like DePalma's 'Radio Hospital' car out of Lima, OH. Don was driving for DePalma on dirt in that time period, but Doc was driving the silver and blue #18 for Charlie Dunbar then.

The 54 is Jerry Poland in the 'Fortney Sprinter'

Duke drove the Longhorn 48 for sure, not sure if that was a day he was in it or not. He would be the man to ask on that one.
Last edited by Need For Speed; 12/29/09 at 1:14 AM.

12/29/09, 3:20 AM   #18
ColoradoFan

The 34 is definitely not the Gehlhausen car. It carried a #4 and was a Huffaker chassis that Bigelow had driven as an Indy car. It was my understanding from Carl Gehlhausen that it was the "MG Liquid Suspension" car that Bob Vieth drove at the speedway. Tom Sneva won 6 times and had 12 top tens in it in 1973. The 48 must be an early car for Bobby Hillin's Longhorn Racers because it's not a Stapp. The cage looks like the Grant King design but it's a bolt on and the chassis might be a Ronnie Ward.
I'll take a flyer at the #11. With the american flag on the hood it looks like one of Karl Kinser's cars.

Vern Plotts

12/29/09, 12:32 PM   #19
crp26

Not sure but would the #11 car be the Jess Plummer car ?.If so not sure who the driver would be seems like he had a few different drivers in it.
Chuck

12/29/09, 3:19 PM   #20
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by crp26 View Post
Not sure but would the #11 car be the Jess Plummer car ?.If so not sure who the driver would be seems like he had a few different drivers in it.
Chuck
I had the same thought, but I think the picture was taken before Jess started running USAC.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC photo ID help needed.