IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett
5/29/10, 10:44 AM   #161
Re: R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett
Race Poor

RIP Rocket! Prayers.

5/29/10, 1:14 PM   #162
short track scott

We were racing at Anderson when the words of Jesse's accident swirled through the pit area and the grandstands. In the irony that is life, our event had been delayed but a power outage at the speedway. It gave time for the news to be passed person to person, and everyone who knew of Jesse Hockett had a reflection to share of his indelible mark he has made in the lives within this sport.

Eventually we got the show back underway, but the pall over the event was undeniable. As we set the feature line up a moment of silence was observed in honor of his life. After that moment, I couldn't find the words to break the silence. Finally after what seemed like a minute I lowly uttered, "Let's go racing".

And we did. But not without the heavy hearts of losing a friend, a hero, a great young man.

I would like someday to see an award given by the NSCHoF in Jesse's memory. It wouldn't be an every year thing, but one given to a racer who follows Hockett's trail as a top notch gasser. He was good. In life. In a racecar.

Rest in peace.

A few years ago at Gas City's Sprint week show my buddy Burt and I were walking and Jesse comes riding by on his little motorcycle. Burt says, "Look, it's Jesse Hockett and his pocket rocket!" Laughs all around, but none bigger than his.

That is Jesse Hockett.

1 member likes this post: Bruce Harrison
5/29/10, 1:22 PM   #163
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird4vkcc View Post
just doing my best to keep jesse where he belongs....at the top. Want this thread to stay near the top for as long as possible, its just how i feel....

Tbird
One of the newspaper articles I saw said that in time the family intends to do some memorial t-shirts, that they will make available. At that time, could you please start a thread here on IOW, with the link? I am 100% positive that quite a few people that follow this forum would be interested in supporting such an offering.

Thanks

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/29/10, 5:56 PM   #164
1956offy

Very very sad news

Thoughts and prayers for all of the Hockett family and for his many many friends during this most difficult time.

Jesse was one of the most naturally talented Sprint Car drivers that I have ever had the pleasure to witness. The Rocket would drive any type car, at any track, at any time just to race. The boy just flat loved to race.

He will be truly missed by all that knew him.

Dale Hogan

5/30/10, 1:22 PM   #165
Amatiforever

I remember Jesse when Chuck died. He sent me a "PM" saying how sorry he was and that we had lost a legend. Well Jesse, now you and Chuck can sit and watch us from heaven, God has "another Special Angel", just took him too, way to soon. God Speed, My friend.

5/30/10, 1:37 PM   #166
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amatiforever View Post
I remember Jesse when Chuck died. He sent me a "PM" saying how sorry he was and that we had lost a legend. Well Jesse, now you and Chuck can sit and watch us from heaven, God has "another Special Angel", just took him too, way to soon. God Speed, My friend.
Jesse had a little Chuck in him, Cindy, IMO. Both had that type of charisma that the race fans just wanted to be around and were drawn to. They were both "one-of-a-kind" in their respective eras, as far as what they gave to the sport. And each were obviously legendary competitors.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

5/31/10, 4:11 PM   #167
darnall

XX Speedway in California, MO Was bursting at the seams last night. Biggest crowd in history and a huge car count. I got there at 6 o'clock and saw full grandstands, full lawn seating, and 300 or so more people lined up to get in.

The speedway has been renamed "JESSE HOCKETT'S XX SPEEDWAY"...Very fitting...he owned that place anytime he showed up.

Jesse's dad jack demanded that the night be a night of celebration, not mourning.

Damn near every sprinter there had a #77 sticker somewhere.

Randy Martin was given the honor of driving Jesse's #77 for the evening and he was spectacular regardless of what the results show.

Adam Jones, a 22 year old Missouri boy (who has a very similar physical appearance to the Rocket) got his first career sprint car win in a custom built JEI chassis he purchased from the Hockett team over the winter.

The night was beautiful. A very fitting tribute to the man, the legend, the superstar, the fan faveorite and the all around great guy who is Jesse Hockett!!!!

R.I.P. man. Never to be forgotten.

Love you guys....

Glad to meet you T-Bird.

5/31/10, 7:33 PM   #168
terrehautian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6L1zkOEhFk

6/1/10, 1:43 PM   #169
darnall

Thoughts and prayers for the family, everyone at the funeral today, and all his friends and fans who are unable to be there...

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett