IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II
1/13/15, 12:33 PM   #41
Re: BMARA engine rules are now D-II
gearguy

The dwarf car tires are the key to affordable pavement racing. For traditional midget fans they do not look "small." If you look at tire/wheel sizes up until 1990 they are about the same as the dwarf car tires. If you don't have big power you don't need big tires. I have always contended that great racing comes from reliable cars with more power than the tires can handle. This way the driver has to decide when and where to apply how much power.
If you have "too much" tire cars just get in line and wait for a mistake. There are some great drivers in the national cars and current motors are almost too much for even the giant tires.
Typical national or focus pavement race involves going balls out for 5 laps until the tires are warm, then someone makes a pass or spins. Sort out the yellow, allow tires to cool, and repeat. A waste of talent, tires, and motors IMHO.
As an IRS car owner I would be open to bigger tires on dirt but not on pavement.
I applaud BMARA for bravely moving forward with 21st century powerplants.
Last edited by gearguy; 1/13/15 at 12:35 PM. Reason: typo

4 members like this post: DAD, jdull99, Jim Gardner, Wayne Davis
1/13/15, 2:09 PM   #42
DAD

Gear

I guess you guys don't get into a quandary worrying about tire stagger and stuff like that? Just Drive er in and bust the rear loose to compensate for the difference and keep on racing. WOW!!!

Have you ever tried going with a Left rear Midget tire on the right side for dirt?

Heck we would even have to buy a new air gauge to race with you guys> I can not imagine racing when I did not have at least half a dozen rear tires and wheels laying around just to make that last adjustment before putting the car out on the track and then kicking myself in the butt because I chose the wrong tire.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 2:24 PM.

1/13/15, 3:33 PM   #43
HinesFan

Would this work if they had wings on? For instance a focus, ecotec, or restriced 166 adding a wing to run with lightning or mini sprint group... Would the 1000cc be able to compete?

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/13/15, 3:41 PM   #44
DAD

Hines

Yep!! Rephrase that>>> Yep! 1000cc Midgets would be very competitive, But like so many they have a "Chain Drive Anxiety Syndrome Complex". We are hoping and looking for a cure in the near future.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 3:55 PM.

1/13/15, 4:15 PM   #45
HinesFan

I was thinking more like should a lightning sprint org be scared of letting them run

2 members like this post: DAD, fish
1/13/15, 4:24 PM   #46
gearguy

The stagger problem is the same for everyone. Would our drivers like more option? Hell yes. But we remind them of the days when the teams would race pavement & dirt on the same day. Ever see a pre 1970 midget trailer with a huge tire rack? Sometimes having fewer options makes solving a problem easier.
One Badger car owner confessed that he just got wore out asking people for tire money. His $600 a week budget is what we spend for a SEASON on pavement & dirt.
If you fans want us to go faster feel free to come down to the tire truck, buy some tires, and drop them off in the pits. This too is not a new problem. We are lucky to have the 1959 Badger championship car intact & unmodified because the car owner mothballed it after calculating his losses [<$250] in a season where the car won 75% of the features.

2 members like this post: DAD, jdull99
1/13/15, 4:31 PM   #47
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesFan View Post
I was thinking more like should a lightning sprint org be scared of letting them run
Hines

Nope! That is my "Sermon" and "Soap Box Speech" all tied together.

Honest Dad himself

1/13/15, 5:08 PM   #48
LEADERS EDGE

Well....the rubber is meeting the road. How many are going to get in the car and go for the ride with Badger? Lot of people who preached the solution and the cure need to step up. Ever notice when there is a tragedy such as a house fire or a car crash or a dog trapped on the ice or someone drowning that there are usually several people standing by watching in horror. They say that someone needs to do something but those people are rarely the ones who step in, take the risk and actually do something. Hope that doesn't happen here.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 1/13/15 at 5:10 PM.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DAD, dirtball, jdull99, lmahal, Wayne Davis
1/13/15, 6:03 PM   #49
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Well....the rubber is meeting the road. How many are going to get in the car and go for the ride with Badger? Lot of people who preached the solution and the cure need to step up. Ever notice when there is a tragedy such as a house fire or a car crash or a dog trapped on the ice or someone drowning that there are usually several people standing by watching in horror. They say that someone needs to do something but those people are rarely the ones who step in, take the risk and actually do something. Hope that doesn't happen here.
I so agree Edge...I have had people on the sidelines for 3 years now gonna get a midget..."man you got it going on"...."like to try one before I buy one"...and everything else you can think of for and excuse...I have put over 10 different racers in my spare car and have yet to have one buy a car....I have went up north and picked up cars only to sell them to somebody back up north to get a little of my $$ back... Have a beast chassis and components for $600 less then I paid for it... "I'm thinking about it"....Have a 2003 Maxim complete roller just needs an engine for $2500.00...."Oh I can't afford that"....Hell I had 1 of the racers go to Ohio last winter and sell the car going back up north and he NEVER made a lap in the car....Had 14 people call me about the vacated ride of 1 of my cars....not one is willing to help work or fund it but they will so up to drive it.....Oh well I'll keep trying....hope the winternationals works out this year for me and everyone comes down that has said they are....even so I will still pursue the dream of racing some kind of non wing open wheel car in the south.....Not me personally racing...I'm too old and fat

If you support it it will happen if not you just might loose it for ever

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

2 members like this post: DAD, jjones752
1/13/15, 6:07 PM   #50
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
Leaders

A thousand miles round trip would be a bit much for us. You can bet I will be rooting for them. They already have in the IRS (Just can't get used to saying that without a shudder) and the IMRA they probably have 40 to 50 cars ready to go. Sure wish they would include Chains also.

It is not as if the guys up there are re-inventing the wheel, from what I have read they have been there and done that already and were pretty successful at it in the past.

If this model works up their, and I bet it does, a track down in central or southern Indiana might just do the same thing. Midget racing is addictive both to racers and crowds, we just need to bring it back to the fore front.

I have been ranting for a long time that despite the belief of the Powers that be, Automotive manufactures have made great progress since the 1950's and perhaps they should experiment just a little. In 1950 if I were to tell you that I had a 60 CID motor that was capable of 225 Horsepower that would run forever you would probably think just like people do today think that I was a Crack Pot. Well they are here right now and we race one. In fact they now have a supercharged factory version of this same motor that will put out 350+ Stock horsepower all day long. We actually have racers racing with us right now that think that they can get more horsepower out of these things just by spending more money. Sorry but it Just ain't there fellows. Equating that power to Cubic Inches to a National Midget motor of today you would be looking at about 1150 horsepower to try to apply to the racing surface.

Times are changing, nothing I would like more than to attack a Unobtanium TRO Powered Midget with a little 1000cc chain drive Midget. That would be fun.

Honest Dad himself
Last edited by DAD; 1/13/15 at 6:32 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > BMARA engine rules are now D-II