IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alex Bright
7/25/23, 8:26 AM   #11
Kart#51

Agreed. Thats the way I see it too. His front wheels never turned left. The rear end snapped around and the front end pointed straight, which caused his LR hit Bright's RR. Weird racing deal, no intent or malice, which IMO, explains Swanson's comments of I need to see what happened.

7/25/23, 8:50 AM   #12
Re: Alex Bright
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kart#51 View Post
Agreed. Thats the way I see it too. His front wheels never turned left. The rear end snapped around and the front end pointed straight, which caused his LR hit Bright's RR. Weird racing deal, no intent or malice, which IMO, explains Swanson's comments of I need to see what happened.
I'm no Swanson apologist but it does not make sense that he would intentionally turn into Alex like that. There are a billion microthoughts going through a driver's mind on takeoff and as fast as it all happened I would want to see the replay before commenting.

7/25/23, 9:23 AM   #13
DJlives

Jake Swanson and Jessica have been a great addition to the USAC National and local racing scene since relocating from California. Some of you have seen him race scores of times. Has he struck you as a guy who would just take people out? Does he come off like a total jerk? Or my favorite on another site "he is an idiot" Really? Have you talked to Jake because he strikes me as a pretty bright guy. He like Alex does something few can do well. Even if we disected every aspect of the incident an agreed he errored guess what Steve Kinser made mistakes, Kyle Larson makes mistakes, A J Foyt made mistakes and Juan Manuel Fangio made mistakes and chances are we all have made mistakes too.

7/25/23, 10:12 AM   #14
cmiracingvids

There’s no way, in front of the entire field on the initial start of a feature, another driver would intentionally try and take another driver out. It just doesn’t make any bit of sense. Jake is one of the cleanest, nicest drivers out there. And he’s very talented. It was just an accident. His interview showed genuine concern for Alex, and he never said it was anyone else’s fault. I’m glad Alex is gonna be ok. But there’s 0 chance that was on purpose.

6 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, erich45, jjones752, MBoersma, TBONE, tirespinner
7/25/23, 10:19 AM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

This is a amazing sport. Control the uncontrollable. Push yourself and your car to it's limits. We've seen amazing control like Bacon diamonding two at GC and holding the bottom taking the others line away. Like Leary making a move and making it stick. Like Ballou's 12th to second at GC. Like Bacon's 22nd to podium

Some of these visitors have been awesome. Doaney, Amentia, Bright to name a few, I think we lose one and gain one this week.. Garrett and Pursley have been great at times. Moles is learning the had way what can and can't be done.

And still the greats step in it from time to time. Leary and ballou at Burg, Bacon at Circle City.

There's certain moves that are (A GAME) like blocking etc. But to say they're intentionally taking each other out. That's rough, dangerous and expensive. It gets easier for guys that race with each other to know the others moves, where and when they could pass em etc. But on the start. That's unleashing 23 beast and hoping to make it thru turn one.

7/25/23, 10:37 AM   #16
HDbill

Perhaps we need to take the names out of this. What happened to RESPECT, how about racing room? How about holding your line until you have passed someone clean; or even a new rule to stay in your lane until the first turn? This "crap" would never play without cages. Front wheels on sprint cars are usually turned to the right. So they CAN go there instead of strait. The car that went flipping was given no place to go. So he had no vote. I realize that MY view will probably piss off a lot of people. But saying other racers have "made mistakes" doesn't heal broken body parts. God bless the safety crews. I like the races where safety crews have nothing to do. Heal up fast Alex. You have a lot of people that love to watch you race. I have never seen you take anybody out. Open wheel race cars are exciting to watch because they are pure race cars. If you don't have to have it to go fast; it isn't there. Over the years we have had to add a lot of expensive safety equipment. (Thank you Bill Simpson). But we need something to let the cars actually finish races instead of going away on the hook with the driver getting a ride in the bus.

7/25/23, 4:28 PM   #17
hoscalecody

Way I look at it, I have a very good bet that most people saying it was intentional has never raced a car like a sprint car, midget, mini sprint etc... The cars can be evil on the starts. There's been plenty of starts i've personally done, where the car wants to make a hard left and it's new home being in the infield, without any contact or anything. I'm betting other people who race can also say the same.
Last edited by hoscalecody; 7/25/23 at 4:30 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/25/23, 8:49 PM   #18
oldfan49

In the slow motion video it sort of looks like Grant's tail hit Swanson's front tire. Maybe it's just the angle.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/25/23, 9:17 PM   #19
Twister17

Was it intentional, absolutely not. Was it avoidable absolutely. At some point there has to be a little accountability. Jake spun his tires and could have lifted and chose not too plain and simple.

1 member likes this post: yeleyfan76
7/25/23, 9:19 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

And the 17 behind him are all supposed to too?

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, erich45, Grocery Guy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Alex Bright