IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?
5/14/19, 9:52 AM   #1
Little 500, Who's going?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

This will be my third straight thanks to a very good friend and despite not being a big pavement openwheel fan This race has become a favorite of mine and I think a lot of things play into why. Small multi groove track, lots of cars. And a long race where anything can happen and often does.

Wondering if any of the planned improvements have happened? First thing should be the PA because I doubt anywhere but the front straight could you ever hear it, even under yellow.

Anyhow, I plan to be there mid afternoon, Watch hot laps in the turn two grandstand in the shade, Then make my way to section O back straight seats for the race.

Swanson, Santos, Armstrong, Pierce, Hamilton, Windom, Coons and half a dozen others have been tough the past few years. some dominating at points of the race but things change with the pit stop stratagies, Tire wear and a whole host of other things. Last year proved two things with Swanson first having a lost lap due to pit stop fueling issue and then losing another when he spun after 250 laps on his tires. and still winning. Never count him out.

Race also pays very well, While most teams as usual will lose money, the top few will break even or even come out a little ahead, And drivers stand to make more than they could in several local shows..

I can see why this race has ran a long time.
Get your seats now, There probably won't be any available on race day.

Like Terre Haute which I waited years to get too but was told about forever, This is a must see at least once.

5/14/19, 11:08 AM   #2
LB

Been going since 89 ,only missed a couple vowed to never missed another,was always in the pits untill 09 was first time to watch in stands ,next week is when I get to go see racing ,sucks its going to be the last Hoosier 100 ,but the "LIL 500 " is the one race I look forward to every year
Last edited by LB; 5/14/19 at 11:12 AM.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, interpreter66, tirespinner
5/14/19, 12:08 PM   #3
Non wing lover

Charles no improvements made no new. Fencing no new bleachers no repaving the track nothing same old Anderson

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/14/19, 12:26 PM   #4
Re: Little 500, Who's going?
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non wing lover View Post
Charles no improvements made no new. Fencing no new bleachers no repaving the track nothing same old Anderson
I was there a couple weeks ago, and the sections of bleachers in turn 3 were in the process of being converted to aluminum bleachers, and should be ready for the Lil 5. I didn't eat anything, but the Concessions have been taken over by the Speedway, so I can't comment as to any improvements in food choices/quality, etc.

3 members like this post: Andrew S. Quinn, Charles Nungester, tirespinner
5/14/19, 12:46 PM   #5
interpreter66

Been going 20 plus years (can’t Remember the first year getting old) great race ,good friends and good Times! Love this time of year and can’t wait to get there.🏁🏁🏁🏁

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, LB, tirespinner
5/14/19, 1:01 PM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Yeah KDub, had another friend tell me the concession was changed. didn't know if anything else yet.

Think it was last Summer they announced 5mil in improvements over the next few years. Just wondered if thats still happening.

5/14/19, 4:07 PM   #7
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

My wife and I will be going this year. Will be sitting in turn one. Love seeing the cars coming at you for the start three wide. Don't get much better than that!!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel

5/14/19, 4:17 PM   #8
ChetC

They run a very good FM transmitter at the track so if you have trouble hearing, bring a small FM receiver and earbuds/hearing protection, or just go for the hearing protection with an FM receiver built in. I can't remember the frequency off the top of my head, but I do know it's posted in large letters on the side of the main ticket booth and main concession stand.

5/14/19, 4:22 PM   #9
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsanonwingthing View Post
I was there a couple weeks ago, and the sections of bleachers in turn 3 were in the process of being converted to aluminum bleachers, and should be ready for the Lil 5. I didn't eat anything, but the Concessions have been taken over by the Speedway, so I can't comment as to any improvements in food choices/quality, etc.

Have they weed whacked the mens room yet? Always a sign the Little 500 is close by......

5/14/19, 6:39 PM   #10
BrentTFunk

I have never not went since the first time. I can't imagine going anywhere else.
Last edited by BrentTFunk; 5/14/19 at 8:31 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500, Who's going?