IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71p
7/24/18, 10:02 AM   #31
Re: 71p
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Two totally separate issues, If you ask me.
A healthy driver under the influence putting others at risk.
A Cancer Patient managing pain and lack of appetite who's already got enough problems he's putting nobody else at risk doing so at home.

7/24/18, 10:45 AM   #32
BrentTFunk

I just saw on the news where an older person used cbd oil to get off his opiod pain medication. His pension requires him to be drug tested. He tested positive after using it. So not everything is black and white. At around a $100 per test, there is a lot money to be made.

4 members like this post: Hammer, jim goerge, rick42, trannyman
7/24/18, 12:32 PM   #33
Stealth87

As many people have listed above, I don't believe this should be held against him the rest of his racing career. The article listed that THC metabolites were found in the test. To put that in simple terms, that means that even if he did smoke, it was most likely no where near the time of the test. THC is broken down into smaller metabolites in the system (some of which are not even impairing but still show up in drug tests). For all anyone knows, if he did smoke it, it could have been done in a legal setting. Or as also listed above, it could have been a CBD oil fubar. Am I arguing that he shouldn't be suspended? Absolutely not. Any series, track or car owner ultimately has the right to not let him race with/for them due to these circumstances. I just think some people should pull back on their personal attacks a little bit. I know Justin is a good kid and I'm sure he feels regret from this. I hope he comes back stronger than ever. On another note (as someone mentioned on Twitter earlier today) people seem to have no issue with people sitting outside turns 3&4 at Knoxville during the nationals and drinking until the sun comes up and hopping into a car later that day. Or even taking a hard flip and jumping right back into a car that same night. Both of which could be just as dangerous
Last edited by Stealth87; 7/24/18 at 12:35 PM.

7/24/18, 12:41 PM   #34
Rpracing1

Kids a gasser! I like him!

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
7/24/18, 1:03 PM   #35
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
All tracks & sanctioning bodies should honor the suspension. Having said that and never haven taken a puff of anything I'll say that marijuana isn't near as bad as alcohol. He very well could have smoked pot a month earlier and failed the test but had a few beers a couple hours earlier and been fine?
Exactly. Ganja can stay in your body up to a month, doesn't mean you're high. High on the race track? ABSOLUTELY unacceptable!
But I can see where a bong hit or 2 after stressed out, hyped up sprint car race would hit the spot...
Illegal? its legal where i live, & what, 8 other states? Don't forget it was once illegal to teach a slave to read, or a black person to ride in front of a bus...
On second thought, I take back "exactly" for the "honor the suspension" part. Not sure if they can test to see who's ACTUALLY high at race time. I would support that....
Last edited by revjimk; 7/24/18 at 1:05 PM.

7/24/18, 2:06 PM   #36
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Two totally separate issues, If you ask me.
A healthy driver under the influence putting others at risk.
A Cancer Patient managing pain and lack of appetite who's already got enough problems he's putting nobody else at risk doing so at home.
Good point, but THC in your system doesn't necessarily mean you're high at race time. Doesn't mean you aren't either....

6 members like this post: dshort36, jim goerge, luckybuc97, PIT CART, sc17x, tirespinner
7/24/18, 2:10 PM   #37
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth87 View Post
As many people have listed above, I don't believe this should be held against him the rest of his racing career. The article listed that THC metabolites were found in the test. To put that in simple terms, that means that even if he did smoke, it was most likely no where near the time of the test. THC is broken down into smaller metabolites in the system (some of which are not even impairing but still show up in drug tests). For all anyone knows, if he did smoke it, it could have been done in a legal setting. Or as also listed above, it could have been a CBD oil fubar. Am I arguing that he shouldn't be suspended? Absolutely not. Any series, track or car owner ultimately has the right to not let him race with/for them due to these circumstances. I just think some people should pull back on their personal attacks a little bit. I know Justin is a good kid and I'm sure he feels regret from this. I hope he comes back stronger than ever. On another note (as someone mentioned on Twitter earlier today) people seem to have no issue with people sitting outside turns 3&4 at Knoxville during the nationals and drinking until the sun comes up and hopping into a car later that day. Or even taking a hard flip and jumping right back into a car that same night. Both of which could be just as dangerous
" people seem to have no issue with people sitting outside turns 3&4 at Knoxville during the nationals and drinking until the sun comes up and hopping into a car later that day. Or even taking a hard flip and jumping right back into a car that same night. Both of which could be just as dangerous"
TOTALLY agree! I gave up drinking way back in the 80s, but gave up drinking & driving even earlier after totalling my car & another person's, could have killed both of us. It dawned on me that if I killed myself, that was my problem, but I had NO RIGHT to endanger others

5 members like this post: jim goerge, Leohr46, luckybuc97, PJ Wright, tirespinner
7/24/18, 3:19 PM   #38
Slidejob71

This isn't his first time. He was busted locally a year or two ago and obviously didn't learn anything.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/24/18, 3:26 PM   #39
Gene Franckowiak

i was hoping to get the call for 2019. I'm ready for a comeback. At 62, I could be the oldest "Rookie of the Year" ever in USAC and I come complete with sponsors, engines, parts, & beer.

7/24/18, 3:49 PM   #40
Speedmax3

I think smoking it for medical reasons is far different than recreational. Just my opinion but I don't think any of us would want to be wheeling a 900hp sprint car around someone who might be under the influence. Yes, he made a conscious decision that was a mistake and now will serve the consequences of that decision. I'm glad if other sanctioning bodies honor that test and consequence and age should not matter. I wish him and his family the best and hope he's learned from it. Once the suspension is over I look forward to his return. Everyone at some point in their life needs a little forgiveness without judgement.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, rick42, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 71p