IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
RGraves (Offline)
  #111 6/26/13 9:17 PM
I went to several tracks growing up but Haubstadt was the main one and it is still my favorite racetrack in the world. I have traveled the country going to racetracks and the only one I can find that compares is Kokomo.
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, nathans1012, rclaridge
RichH (Offline)
  #112 6/26/13 9:40 PM
I grew up in College Hill, what was then a surburan area of Cincinnati, in the 50's. My Dad had a friend that owned a Sohio gas station that sponsored an old coupe at the Cincinnati Race Bowl. My Dad became a co-sponser for the whopping sum of $100.!!! so we went every Saturday night.
Sometime around 1954 my Dad took me to a special Wed. night AAA midget race.. Oh Boy! The late, great Travis "Spider" webb even let me sit in the cockpit after the race. There's more to this, but not for here.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and bearing a cross"
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, Indy1808, nathans1012
SCOTT M (Offline)
  #113 6/26/13 9:49 PM
THAT...Dad always took me, starting when I was a pup...saw Opperman, Bigelow, Walkup, etc. Those were the days! Still love it. THAT is where I first took my son and, I expect, he will his.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, Indy1808, nathans1012
Wingman (Offline)
  #114 6/26/13 9:55 PM
Fairgrounds Louisville, Ky and Many Sunday's at Salem.

Posted via Mobile Device
2 Likes: BrentTFunk, nathans1012
bigq11 (Offline)
  #115 6/26/13 9:59 PM
Originally Posted by The Fanthom:
I'm a history buff, so excuse my curiosity, but could you tell me where the West Baden track was located? I've heard of it and always wondered.....

Posted via Mobile Device
The track was located between French Lick and West Baden on the east side of hwy 56 which goes through both towns. The grandstand was left from what used to be a baseball park. I believe a team sometimes used it for spring training. Don't know for sure what team or if it was a major or minor league team. A Kimball piano factory was later built on this site. The French Lick Winery is now in this area. There was a pond in the infield, which my brother-in-law managed to end up in one Sunday afternoon when he rolled his car. A couple of the frequent winners were Clyde Wison in a nunber 66 sponsered by Phillips 66 in Paoli and Kenny "stovepipe" Brown in his number 13 from French Lick. A few of the locals would sometimes just drive their cars from home to the track. Times were much different back then. They only ran stock cars. I think they were called "jalopies".
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, The Fanthom
ASPHALT24 (Offline)
  #116 6/26/13 10:26 PM
Oswego Speedway on the southern shores of Lake Ontario in beautiful upstate NY. Awesome track. Supermodifieds & NASCAR Modifieds. Seen all the greats, Shampine, Evans, Bodine, Bentley Warren, Bellinger. The aroma of methanol and the roar of the engines under that covered grandstand was incredible. Classic Weekend back in the day was the best. 200 laps NASCAR Modifieds "Bud 200" Saturday night Labor Day weekend. 200 laps non-wing supermodifed race Sunday afternoon. Those were the days.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, davidm, schwarzracen27
Hamby812 (Offline)
  #117 6/26/13 10:34 PM
I grew up going to Tri State Speedway, started going before I can even remember. Watched my dad race sprint cars with the likes of briscoe, cummins, hayhurst, jc, and many many more. What I remember of it was fantastic, I would sit on top of the trailer and watch dad race and scrape the mud off as soon as he got back to the trailer. Also went to Mount Vernon quite a bit. Those were the good ole days, now days I support as many tracks as possible as well as a couple well deserving drivers. Just trying to give back what I can to the sport that gave me so many memories and the best hobby anyone could ask for!!

Posted via Mobile Device
4 Likes: BrentTFunk, Indy1808, jim goerge, nathans1012
chop (Offline)
  #118 6/26/13 10:34 PM
I would say it would be Butler speedway around 1970, Back then they ran super mods and stock cars. This was back when the track had the railroad ties-plywood inner wall. The pits were inside the track. They had an intermission back then. So you could go down and run around on the oiled clay track or see the race car and drivers up close. I can remember seeing Hank Lower race way back then. That was on Sat nights.

On Sunday nights we would go to Kalamazoo speedway to see TRI-SAC race. With divers being Sammy Sessions-Kurt Kelly-Carmen Bros-Jeff Bloom.

Back then a road trip was going to Warsaw. Seemed like back then they raced Friday nights--was that right?
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, schwarzracen27
nathans1012 (Online)
  #119 6/26/13 11:03 PM
First track for me was in late 1986 the old Southlake Speedway (a.k.a. Broadway Speedway - A.K.A. Crown Point Speedway) in Crown Point, Indiana (with my mother's ex-boyfriend Mike Hollifield of Buzzard Race Cars of Wheeler, Indiana (UMP Modifieds and some other stuff in between) when he ran a Limited Late Model #78. He raced at Southlake the whole 1987 season as well. Mike won multiple championships at the track before it SADLY closed in early 2006.

Then the next year he raced at the Kankakee Speedway in Illinois picking up 13 feature wins in one season in 1988 and winning the Championship by a wide margin.

The following year we went to the Shadyhill Speedway in Medaryville, Indiana where he has won a few track titles there as well.

Every now and then we'd go to the Santa Fa Speedway in Hinsdale (Chicago). The most insane wreck I ever saw was here in I believe 1990/ 1991 during the National Clay Track Championship when Lil" John Provenzano startes an 18 car pile up when he kicked up dust in the infield and the dust blew across the back strait and cars collect one by one. The irony is Lil" John ended up winning the race. The pile up collected the likes of #10 Pete Parker, #27 Bob Pohlman Jr, #49 Tom Rients, #58 Gary Webb, & the #77 of Steve Pastva. 4 of those cars where stacked on top of each other like a sandwich.

Have been lucky enough to get to venture out to other tracks over the years as I try to add at least 1 new track to my list each year.

If you want to know how good the BUZZARD RACE CARS are just ask Late Model driver #15 Jon Henry. Jon has had a Buzzard Race Car UMP Modified in his stable for a few years now and won a race at Eldora a few weeks ago with it.

My list of tracks as of now 2 maybe 3 new tracks this year.

Crown Point Speedway (Southlake / Broadway) (IN)
Kankakee Speedway (IL)
Shadyhill Speedway (IN)
Santa Fe Speedway (IL)
Gas City I-69 Speedway (IN)
Illiana Motor Speedway (IN)
Grundy County Speedway (IL)
Plymouth Speedway (IN)
Kokomo Speedway (IN)
16th Street Speedway (IN)
Terre Haute Action Track (IN)
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IN)
Indianapolis Raceway Park - IRP / ORP / LORP (IN)
Chicagoland Speedway (IL)
Michigan International Speedway (MI)
LaSalle Speedway (IL)
Vermilion County Speedway (IL)
Fairbury American Legion Speedway (IL)
Eldora Speedway (OH)
Sycamore Speedway (IL)
Brownstown Speedway (IN)
Lincoln Park Speedway (IN)
U.S. 41 Dragway (IN)
South Bend Motor Speedway (IN)
New Paris Speedway (IN)
Hartford Motor Speedway (MI)
Montpelier Motor Speedway (IN)
Oakshade Raceway (OH)
Huntsville Speedway (AL)

2024 Season: Race 1 - April 20th Brownstown (Crate LM). Unlike many I don't discriminate on what racing I choose to watch.
3 Likes: BrentTFunk, EBookerFan, racing2bwithu2
Mud Packer (Offline)
  #120 6/26/13 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by sw1911:
Also, I love your avatar. Great looking race car from back in the day.

It is a Don Klein modified(?) from somewhere between 1966 and 1970 I think.
You are correct. In all of the years he drove, I don't ever remember him driving a car that wasn't that color. A real trademark of his. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante