IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Difference between Midget & SpeedSTR
1/31/17, 1:55 PM   #1
Difference between Midget & SpeedSTR
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I was looking at todays pictures and saw these SpeedSTR's and they appear to be of similar dimensions to a midget with a 4cyl engine, why 2 different cars so similar? I understand midgets have expensive engines, why not just have an entry level midget class with a cheaper engine package instead of yet another shrunken car... Midgets, TQ's, Mini's, SpeedSTR, Micro's, 600's, 1/4 Midget, Outlaw Karts... You can only get so small I would think. Personally from what I've seen I like the Midgets & TQ's, the rest not so much.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 1/31/17 at 2:07 PM.

1 member likes this post: DAD
1/31/17, 3:00 PM   #2
Re: Difference between Midget & SpeedSTR
DAD

Aces

SpeedSTR's are basically Midgets. The SpeedSTR is a spec Midget raced on the East Coast. They are basically a D2 Midget. They use Chrysler motors that remain in basically stock form and can be bought Turn Key and set up to race. They seem to be doing pretty good.

1/31/17, 5:20 PM   #3
sjracer26

Race Count Last Year: 18

USAC had a Ford Focus class in the past that was meant for exactly what you mentioned. An introductory spec class that had a cheaper engine and allowed for the owner to use the same car when/if they decided to go full midget racing. The series was very successful for a number of years actually.

But USAC pooped the bed big time and mis managed the series, big surprise, and the car counts dwindled. In that time frame the Ecotec midgets came into the picture and started gaining some momentum but never really took off across the country. In a bad effort to try and breathe life into the concept of affordable spec midget racing USAC created the HPD midget series with the honda engines. But nobody wants to spend the money messing with it because you can get into full midgets for basically the same cost.

If you ever want to know the details on how bad USAC managed this whole deal let me know. It makes for a good story with a few beers.

Source: My brother ran USAC focus series on the west coast, California North Champion and Belleville Focus Nationals Winner. (Back when they could get 25-30 cars per race because the rules were still actually followed)

You hit a nerve haha
Last edited by sjracer26; 1/31/17 at 5:34 PM.

3 members like this post: Racer1039, Simon_says17, TQ29m
1/31/17, 7:00 PM   #4
TQ29m

Too bad they ran out of Pinto's, I checked on the East coast"midgets", not much dollar difference between them and a 305 racesaver. Bob

3 members like this post: racerjim2, sjracer26, tirespinner
1/31/17, 10:38 PM   #5
Cobra 14

Speedster are a true spec class. All parts and I mean all, must be purchased from Tobias.

There is far more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye.
Last edited by Cobra 14; 1/31/17 at 10:40 PM.

3 members like this post: c47, DAD, tirespinner
2/1/17, 9:25 AM   #6
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Specs on the SpeedSTR.

http://speedwayentertainment.com/specifications.htm

I've seen them run about 5 or 6 times over the past couple seasons. Not in the same league as a full midget, but still a pretty neat class. Car counts are always good in the upper 20's to mid 30's. As for looks I find them a bit hard on the eyes, but the racing I've seen has always made up for that.

1 member likes this post: sjracer26
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Difference between Midget & SpeedSTR