IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Allstars at Plymouth
5/26/15, 11:50 PM   #1
Allstars at Plymouth
flagboy55

Would like to hear from some of you who might have attended. I heard the track was terrible and terribly dusty. Also heard Allstars leased the track, and they did track prep. Also Saturday track was bad too. Unfortunately I have not been able to make a race there yet. I hear a lot of hard work and good intentions, but never much good about the racing surface. Just trying to sort through the hearsay, thanks for your help.

1 member likes this post: nathans1012
5/27/15, 12:27 AM   #2
Re: Allstars at Plymouth
trecraft

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Would like to hear from some of you who might have attended. I heard the track was terrible and terribly dusty. Also heard Allstars leased the track, and they did track prep. Also Saturday track was bad too. Unfortunately I have not been able to make a race there yet. I hear a lot of hard work and good intentions, but never much good about the racing surface. Just trying to sort through the hearsay, thanks for your help.
Thought they said UNOH has programs for interns over the summer. Not sure if the program yet exists, but track preparation should be one of the programs offered. You know what the final test will be. Okay, final tests.

2 members like this post: nathans1012, Stevensville Mike
5/27/15, 12:43 AM   #3
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post

The folks from Fremont Speedway Promoted the race and did the track prep. I was there and it seemed like they had no idea what kind of surface they where dealing with. Rico Abreu said in an interview after the race that was the slowest he ever raced a 410 sprint car.

Not bashing the track as they have done a good job this year just need to put MORE WATER on the track and use better judgement of when to water it. THE TRACK PREP FOR THE ALL STAR RACE WAS A JOKE.
Last edited by nathans1012; 5/27/15 at 12:51 AM.

5/27/15, 2:22 AM   #4
fish

You have to remember that it's dirt on top of pavement. I'm sure preparing a track such as that is different.
Spent a lot of time at Avilla back in the day and that place was the same way.
What I consider the best sprint car race in my life was on one of those surfaces at Avilla in 1984 in a Hewitt-Haud duel. It is responsible for me being the sprint car addict that I am.
I was at Plymouth last year for a sprint car race and thought it was great (although not real photographer friendly).
Last edited by fish; 5/27/15 at 2:30 AM.

2 members like this post: sc17x, Stevensville Mike
5/27/15, 8:28 AM   #5
stockracer

Not enough water at the right time,,,they have to remember track is drying out from the bottom, the asphalt just steams the water out of dirt, and it can not be watered deep enough...I would love to go to Plymouth this week to watch midgets, but with track being the way it has been the last few weeks no chance of me going there this week. Also they dragged out Friday's show way to long...2 classes and features did not start until after 10...

1 member likes this post: Stevensville Mike
5/27/15, 9:51 AM   #6
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockracer View Post
Not enough water at the right time...
That was pretty much it. You could tell the track was drying fast during hot laps. After quals, it was bone dry and all dust.

I was actually glad they took the time to re-do the track after that despite it extending the show > an hour, or hour and a half.

When they got to the Dash, a high line was starting to develop. But then, very little water after that. The micro sprints on the inner track had the same prob all night long - dry and dusty.

But it was what it was. The racing wasn't all that bad, actually - when you could see it. Maybe they will have better luck as the season progresses and go from there.

As for the midgets this weekend.... I won't make it. I'll be doing the SOD/WoO Hartford/I-96 deal instead. I just hope Hartford draws a lot of late models for the NRA is running Lima Friday night and I fear the SOD count at Hartford will be way small. The track is enough of a beast to keep car counts down. Without any NRA guys available.....

Keep us informed as to how track prep goes this weekend at the Playground of Power, though!
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 5/27/15 at 9:53 AM.

1 member likes this post: stealth43k
5/27/15, 9:56 AM   #7
dsc1600

The racing wasn't that bad, and luckily we didn't get too dirty as the dust was almost like a swarm over the track, made it very difficult to see.

I think the heats, once they did put water on it had times a second faster than time trials to give you some indication how bad it was during time trials. It's got some potential but they need to do something about the surface.

2 members like this post: plymouthfan, stealth43k
5/27/15, 10:05 AM   #8
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trecraft View Post
Thought they said UNOH has programs for interns over the summer.... but track preparation should be one of the programs offered.
Now THAT is FUNNY !!!

One more thing that made it tolerable was the wind, at least, was blowing from our backs so the dust was going out over the backstretch.

Sheer luck - but I appreciated it.

3 members like this post: nathans1012, Shreffler21, stealth43k
5/27/15, 10:15 AM   #9
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Kamp, Now Daughtery speedway is also dirt over asphalt and despite seeing some of the best three wide racing I've ever seen there, The dust at times made it impossible to see at times. In fact once a car went over the wall in turn two and it was two full laps before they threw the red. Not sure how you could ever keep enought moisture in that type surface.

5/27/15, 10:40 PM   #10
treecitytornado

When I raced at Kamp it was great! No Dust and could race all over the track!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Allstars at Plymouth